Subject: Blow through a corner question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a situation that came up today and we were unsure how to rule it.

Car one started it's turn in corner 1
rolled a 5th gear dice and the roll put him past corner 2 which was a 1 stop corner.

the driver argued that he could blow tires and count the corner. Is this a correct interpretation to the rules. The rules state you can not count a stop in the corner if you go from corner to corner.

Just making sure things are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Kropf
United States
Brownsville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I cannot not not not not not not not not not not not not not not tell a lie. But man can I obscure the truth or what?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember but to be sure this answer is assuming that corner1 and corner2 are both 1stop corners.

If the above is true, then yes blow a tire for each space he went past the second corner and you are good to go. If you don't have enough tires you can also lose brakes to move 1 less space per brake and then 1 tire per space you still went past.

Note that if you burn through all of your brakes you can keep going, just without brakes, but if you hit zero tires it is game over for that car.

Also if you roll past a 2 stop corner you crash and burn. No questions asked. If you stop once in a 2 stop corner and then go past without stopping a second time, pop tires / brakes same as going past a 1 stop.
Same with only 2 stops in a 3 corner etc...

Did this answer your question? If not let me know and I can try again

Happy driving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to over-shoot a corner; therefore missing the final stop you are required to make.

You must pay one tire point per square your car over-shoots the corner.

If you cannot pay the tire points you crash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, it was a 1 stop corner to one stop corner and he did make a valid stop in corner 1. The rules state that a corner stop only counts when you enter the corner from a straight away... and you can not count a stop from a corner to corner... I guess the straight away part of the rules is what through the red flag. We always played that if you left a corner and entered another corner, that does not count as your stop and you have to make one more stop in the corner. We have never seen a driver leave a corner and blow through the second corner.
thanks
I think that answers it for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the proper interpretation of the rule is this:

The car has to do a certain number of stops in the corner. If it fails to do so, it overshoots and is penalized accordingly.

Either way, when the car has resolved the current corner it may resolve the following corner on its next turn. Consequently, a car cannot resolve two corners on 1 turn.

This means that it would be very dangerous to overshoot through one corner and into the next; you'd incur a massive penalty and you wouldn't achieve the required stop in the second corner.

It also means that if a car performs the required number of stops in the first corner it is now free to move directly into the next corner, and this will count as a stop. If the second corner is a 1-stop the car may even overshoot directly from the first corner (standard overshoot penalties apply).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,
How different the game is played when playing correctly. We have always played where you have to make a stop in each straight away to enter the next corner. The cars move so much slower when you play this way. I think the average gear before was 4th and an occasional fifth. Very rare would a car get into 6th except for the long stretch on the Monaco track. we are flying from corner to corner... making a stop in the straight really slows you down...
Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
model359 wrote:
How different the game is played when playing correctly. We have always played where you have to make a stop in each straight away to enter the next corner.

I'm surprised you played multiple games with this rule. Now that you know the correct rule,, the game should be much more fun for you and your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.