Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Snitch!» Forums » General

Subject: PNP discussion #2 - if, yes then how many AND how should they be rolled out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's take a look at what we are thinking on this subject...

First let me say that PNP is something that has been on the back burner as an idea for a long time. We didn't give it a ton of thought until recently when several folks (most notably Manuel from Sweden) brought this idea into the spotlight and we have finally given it the attention it deserves and have simultaneously warmed up to it, to the point where we are pretty much convinced that this is the right thing to do.

BUT...

How exactly?

Well...

We do have a plan now.

This plan has hatched from consulting we have done with other publishers, or distribution partners and fans of SNITCH, and of PNP itself, etc.

We want to do two PNPs as follows...

V1
THE PROTOTYPE PNP (Now):

and...

V2
THE PRODUCTION QUALITY PNP (Later):

Why two?

Because...

V1 would be available now (meaning soon) for reviewers for sure and possibly others. Regardless of who, this would be free.

Then...

V2 would be for a reward level on Kickstarter and would have some cost to it (should be very reasonable though). This would not be available until later when the game is 100% finished. We may release this early (as soon as it's ready) or simultaneously with the shipping of the "real" games to backers.

This thread is for an open discussion of this plan to have two PNPs as described here.

Poll
As for the plan outlined here by CMG, I feel like it's a...
Great Plan!
Plan with some real issues that could cause problems (please post your thoughts if you pick this option, Thanks!!!)
      7 answers
Poll created by Common Man Games

Let us know your thoughts via voting and posts.

thanks in advance for your participation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these polls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lowry
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Manuel :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now let's talk about our personal printing/crafting preferences for a moment.

For me, there are 3 general major factors:

1. I don't like sleeves. No condoms on my table!
2. As a regular customer at my local printer's, I won't get any special prices. I need to save on pages. The same applies to my laser printer, of course.
3. Depending on whether it is a prototype-ish pnp or one with final artwork, I would use different techniques/materials for particular game components.

So in case of the first, prototype-ish pnp version of SNITCH!, I'd like to minimize all costs and still have nice and sturdy components.
There are other pnpers who don't like laminating cards because these would slide off their piles. They don't slide that much at my place. Definitely the lesser evil (?) for me.
However, I would print cards AND city tiles DOUBLE-sided onto 300g paper and laminate the sheets (push them through the laminator twice).
I'd cut and edge-clip them. Then, I'd push the cards through the machine for a third time.
So this means no bleeds/frames of any kind for the backs. It's almost impossible to get the backs to exactly match the fronts. Especially with a home printer. Misalignments of up to 5mm are pretty common.
Reducing irregularities/misalignment effects on the backs would be the most important thing here.
If the options are e.g. 9 tiles per page or 15 tiles per page, I prefer the 9 tiles solution.

For the final artwork pnp, I would get everything printed at the local printer's. For the sake of rich and sweet colors.
I'd do the same as above with the cards. The guy at the shop usually manages to get fronts & backs to match nicely, with misalignments of less than 2mm.
I'd print the tiles onto label sheets (one-sided, of course), use "self-laminating pouches" (really expensive, but they won't peel off that easily), cut and stick them onto both sides of these plain memory tiles ("create your own memory game", 6x6cm). I'd finish them by carefully cutting along the sides to have a really clean cut.
Saving space on label sheets & cold-laminate pouches would be the most important thing with these.
If the options are e.g. 9 tiles per page or 15 tiles per page, I prefer the 15 tiles solution.

What are your personal layout preferences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMPORTANT UPDATE ON V2:

go here if you want the latest details on the V2...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15660282#15660282

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.