Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of a way to move my disks more efficiently and came up with this idea:

Movement Disks

I'll print a lot of disks corresponding to the three disk sizes in the game (small, medium and large) and will put them adjacent to the unit disk to calculate how far it can go.

Making paper disks would be very easy, but my dream would be 2mm cardboard disks (maybe even printed **).
The number of disks to print would vary from the strictly necessary to enough to keep everyone at the table happy.

-10-15 small disks
-10-15 medium disks
-5-10 large disks

Unfortunaletly I'm not a graphic designer and have no idea how to get a precise punch for the cardboard version, so if anyone could offer some advice it would be greatly apreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Andersson
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would only print two of each size if I were to do something like that. With only two you have to leapfrog the disks, so no going back :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do folks normally allow for measuring during movement? We certainly have been allowing for range checks with the ruler (duh). But for movement we haven't been allowing any take backs or measuring - makes decisions more critical and some interesting mistakes by folks. Now I'm wondering what the rules say on this if anything and whether we've been playing _wrong_.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
Do folks normally allow for measuring during movement?

We call that "Cheating".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can measure range whenever you want. Page 5 of the rules:

Page 5 - Range section wrote:
Short, medium, and long range each have a corresponding segment on the range ruler. A player can measure range whenever he wants, and range is always measured from the short end of the range ruler (see “Making a Ranged Attack” on page 11).

In the games I've played, we've sometimes measured range and estimated based on the width of the disk if something could make it to a destination. We also have allowed the last flip or 2 to be backed out of if someone is trying to get a more exact position on the final flip. The movement rules are pretty sparse in the game. Although in reading them again, I just learned that you can rotate the disk while it is 90 degrees in the air.

Page 8 wrote:
Move. The activating player flips the chosen disk end over end a number of times up to its movement. The disk must stop moving if it pins an enemy disk.

Page 19 wrote:
Moving
• A disk does not pin a disk again after a flip if it was already pinning that disk prior to the flip.
• A player can change the orientation of a disk mid-flip by rotating the disk in any direction when it is at a ninety-degree angle with the playing surface. A player cannot “roll” the disk by moving the edge of the disk in contact with the playing surface.
• If an activated disk is ever completely outside the bounds of the battlefield after a flip, place it in its player’s casualty pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob wrote:
You can measure range whenever you want. Page 5 of the rules, in the Range section:

Quote:
Short, medium, and long range each have a corresponding segment on the range ruler. A player can measure range whenever he wants, and range is always measured from the short end of the range ruler (see “Making a Ranged Attack” on page 11).

That's right.

A ruler which does not account for the width of your disk and whether or not you can actually get where you're going and fit past terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, you can measure Range anytime you want. You cannot measure Movement distance however which is to what the OP is referring. I'm not sure I would want to even house rule that in because that particular uncertainty is one of the things that make the game exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is how I've played it. We haven't measured the entire board or precise move distance, just range from the disk to get an estimate if the movement target would probably be in range or not.

So for example, I know that a small disk is just over 2" wide. So if it moves 6 flips, that is just over 12" max range, which is the same as long range. I have to account for turning and avoiding terrain and disks as part of the quick estimate in my head. Since measuring range is legal at any time, this seems fine to me. Of course, people can choose to play however they want.

Most miniatures games have changed to allow pre-measuring at any time. Warhammer Fantasy and 40k both have. So its not against the general play style of miniature games to pre-measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We measure range, but not movement. We have allowed newer players to do 'take backs' on moves as they learn how the game is played, but otherwise the way I see it is, you can't premeasure movement, and once the disk is flipped, you can't un-flip it. There is no way to be sure that you've unflipped it without giving yourself an advantage (or disadvantage for that matter.) As for measuring range to gauge movement. It's a hedge imho. Sure you can do it, but it seems against the spirit of the game.

In most mini's games, damage is a random outcome and in warhammer charging is also a random outcome. In this it isn't. Meaning movement is very important, that is part of the skill of this game. Movement has everything to do with how the combat will play out. In Warhammer it has something to do with it, i.e. who get's the charge off or hits an unprepared unit, but but all actual damage is random.

If the designers had wanted to give you certainty in movement, I very much believe that would have given us a game board with hexes or squares or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrady
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
In my group we use the following conventions regarding movement.

Beginners are allowed to "take back" moves during their first game or two.

Intermediate players are allowed to pre-measure with the Range Stick only. This gives a general idea of movement but is not exact.

Veteran players may not pre-measure moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My opponent and I use the corners to mark the battlefield to mark a disc start position. My attitude is that a unit would understand if it could squeeze through a gap in reality and so we allow discs to be trialled to find a legal path through. We don't measure out distances using other discs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
My opponent and I use the corners to mark the battlefield to mark a disc start position. My attitude is that a unit would understand if it could squeeze through a gap in reality and so we allow discs to be trialled to find a legal path through. We don't measure out distances using other discs.

I can see your point here, but I think there is also an argument to be made that in the heat of battle things can get misjudged, a unit could find itself in a situation they weren't expecting, or make a mistep because they are under pressure, etc.

The nice thing about a game is that as long as the players all agree on a rule, then everyone has fun and it's all good. But for me, I feel like so much of the strategy of this game is tied up in the movement, I'd be very hesitant to allow anything that makes that part of the game less skill based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All disc stats are known. If all distance and space is pre-calculated also. Then in theory just play the game in your head. freeing up the table for more beer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, this discussion took another direction...

My two cents: I'd rather have measurement than incorrect movement, so I'll definetly make the disks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id rather fly than walk, but the rules of gravity sorta of get in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.