Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: I just picked up my copy, what should I read first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon McClay
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Just picked up my KS copy of Myth and I have read the complaints regarding the rule book. I downloaded the docs from Mercs and I have the quick start guides from BGG.

Do you guys have any suggestions for getting started with the game? What should I read first? What situation should I play through first?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the rulebook then move to the Unofficial FAQ. Use their narrative setup guide to start with then transition to a free play. Just chain tiles until you get used to how the hero cycle and darkness cycle work. You'll also get more comfortable with populating a tile and figuring out what your heroes can handle. Once you feel like you're getting 90% of it right, move to a story quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yarborough
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also watch the company's videos from the kickstarter, although some little things have changed, it gives you an idea of how the game is played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goreshade wrote:
I would also watch the company's videos from the kickstarter, although some little things have changed, it gives you an idea of how the game is played.


I almost suggested that but I fear about a lot of rules changes. I suppose if one could watch the videos and just pay attention to overall gameplay and ignore the rules details, they can be useful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that an Official FAQ may come out as early as today according to Brian.

I'd actually start with some of Remi's videos first. He has a pretty good understanding of the rules, and it will give you a better framework for actually reading the rules. That is one of the major issues with the rulebook: the framework isn't provided so readers are lost as to how things they read actually apply to the game.

Here is a thread where he has been posting them, but they're also available in the videos section:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1148169/video-rules

After that, then I'd read the rulebook itself. Once you're done with that, check out the Hero Deck Reference from the Official website. By then, the Official FAQ should definitely be out. Read that.

(If the FAQ isn't out by some chance, then there are several important threads linked to under the 'More Information' section of Myth's BGG front page)

I'd actually avoid the Narrative & Setup Guides on the Official website...at least for now. There are acknowledged errors in those, and it only muddies the waters. On that same note, I wouldn't necessarily do the Starting Quest on the Official website either. Or, if you do, then carefully research how the two included Traps work before you start playing.

For playing, if you play the first Story, then I'd ignore the part of Setup where players don't start with their starting equipment. It's thematic and fun, but not as your first quest. It makes some cards completely useless, makes other things more confusing, and it can really screw certain Heroes (the Archer).

Last point, if you're not doing a full party, then things will go more smoothly if you avoid the Brigand. His deck seems to be the most confusing....

Edit: The Official Walkthrough is excellent, and I'd go through that after reading the other official material...
11 
 Thumb up
1.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Goreshade wrote:
I would also watch the company's videos from the kickstarter, although some little things have changed, it gives you an idea of how the game is played.


I almost suggested that but I fear about a lot of rules changes. I suppose if one could watch the videos and just pay attention to overall gameplay and ignore the rules details, they can be useful.

Yep. That's why I'd recommend Remi's videos. His are actually more accurate than those old official videos, and he's making the videos with the intention to teach. He's also been very involved in the various forums for a long time, so he has a very good handle on the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Belt
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Note that an Official FAQ may come out as early as today according to Brian.

I'd actually start with some of Remi's videos first. He has a pretty good understanding of the rules, and it will give you a better framework for actually reading the rules. That is one of the major issues with the rulebook: the framework isn't provided so readers are lost as to how things they read actually apply to the game.

Here is a thread where he has been posting them, but they're also available in the videos section:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1148169/video-rules

After that, then I'd read the rulebook itself. Once you're done with that, check out the Hero Deck Reference from the Official website. By then, the Official FAQ should definitely be out. Read that.

(If the FAQ isn't out by some chance, then there are several important threads linked to under the 'More Information' section of Myth's BGG front page)

I'd actually avoid the Narrative & Setup Guides on the Official website...at least for now. There are acknowledged errors in those, and it only muddies the waters. On that same note, I wouldn't necessarily do the Starting Quest on the Official website either. Or, if you do, then carefully research how the two included Traps work before you start playing.

For playing, if you play the first Story, then I'd ignore the part of Setup where players don't start with their starting equipment. It's thematic and fun, but not as your first quest. It makes some cards completely useless, makes other things more confusing, and it can really screw certain Heroes (the Archer).

Last point, if you're not doing a full party, then things will go more smoothly if you avoid the Brigand. His deck seems to be the most confusing....


Pretty much this. Though I would suggest avoiding a story quest at all for your first couple games.

For your first play-through I would suggest you start small. Build a quest deck using all chapter only quests. Pull out 6x6 tile, do a chapter quest for that tile, play the tile, get the merchant at the end, hope you get an upgrade. Then do a 12x12 with a lair and chapter quest. Then if you're still feeling confident, do a 6x6 tile with a trap.

On your second play-through, do a Act quest. Play that, maybe toss in a 4x6 tile, though I still find 4x6 traps more challenging/annoying than 6x6 traps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wysen wrote:

Pretty much this. Though I would suggest avoiding a story quest at all for your first couple games.

For your first play-through I would suggest you start small. Build a quest deck using all chapter only quests. Pull out 6x6 tile, do a chapter quest for that tile, play the tile, get the merchant at the end, hope you get an upgrade. Then do a 12x12 with a lair and chapter quest. Then if you're still feeling confident, do a 6x6 tile with a trap.

On your second play-through, do a Act quest. Play that, maybe toss in a 4x6 tile, though I still find 4x6 traps more challenging/annoying than 6x6 traps.

Yeah, I imagine that free questing is the way to go. I'm not really that type of gamer though, so I personally stuck with the Story Quests...although I realize it's not ideal (particularly the first Story Quest in the Rulebook).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Belt
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Yeah, I imagine that free questing is the way to go. I'm not really that type of gamer though, so I personally stuck with the Story Quests...although I realize it's not ideal (particularly the first Story Quest in the Rulebook).


I just chose the free questing because it felt like I was getting into the pool by walking down the stairs. When I was first looking at the Story setups, it was intimidating, like jumping into the ocean from a helicopter in the middle of a hurricane.

It's not that bad once you have a firmer grasp of the rules, but still it's a leap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
wysen wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Yeah, I imagine that free questing is the way to go. I'm not really that type of gamer though, so I personally stuck with the Story Quests...although I realize it's not ideal (particularly the first Story Quest in the Rulebook).


I just chose the free questing because it felt like I was getting into the pool by walking down the stairs. When I was first looking at the Story setups, it was intimidating, like jumping into the ocean from a helicopter in the middle of a hurricane.

It's not that bad once you have a firmer grasp of the rules, but still it's a leap.


I would have to agree. For someone who is totally new to the game, the stories probably aren't the place to start. They aren't that bad, but they do add another layer of complexity onto the game. I'd even go so far as to suggest that, for the first few tiles, new players should even avoid traps and quests and just focus on learning the flow of combat. I wish I could recommend the introductory story act MCG published, but that darkness falls trap on the first tile.... ouch!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that doing a Chapter Quest first is the way to go. But if you get the quests that have to do with Slaughterfield I'd suggest discarding them and drawing another one. They add another layer of complexity you don't need in your first play.

Edit: For those that don't know, the chapter quests that I know of that introduce Slaughterfield are 'A Desperate Act' and 'Get Tactical'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fade2Gray wrote:


I would have to agree. For someone who is totally new to the game, the stories probably aren't the place to start. They aren't that bad, but they do add another layer of complexity onto the game. I'd even go so far as to suggest that, for the first few tiles, new players should even avoid traps and quests and just focus on learning the flow of combat. I wish I could recommend the introductory story act MCG published, but that darkness falls trap on the first tile.... ouch!

This is probably the best idea honestly. No Story Quests. No Chapter Quests.

Just set up a tile, ignore the Trap/Quest icons, and give it a go. Move onto the next tile and do the same thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:


I would have to agree. For someone who is totally new to the game, the stories probably aren't the place to start. They aren't that bad, but they do add another layer of complexity onto the game. I'd even go so far as to suggest that, for the first few tiles, new players should even avoid traps and quests and just focus on learning the flow of combat. I wish I could recommend the introductory story act MCG published, but that darkness falls trap on the first tile.... ouch!

This is probably the best idea honestly. No Story Quests. No Chapter Quests.

Just set up a tile, ignore the Trap/Quest icons, and give it a go. Move onto the next tile and do the same thing.


This is basically what I do to teach the game. Set everyone up on a tile with some minions and teach everyone the Hero cycle. I also artificially start the AP at 3 to make sure the Darkness activates. Once the example is finished, THEN we start playing. Once you start playing you should throw in the next level of complexity which for me is adding in the tile Legend. Thus, Chapter Quests, Lairs, HP, etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is great. I've yet to get my copy yet (probably in about a month) but I'll be taking this advice on when I first learn to play. Nice to see some positivity and suggestions instead of the usual negativity that has been pervasive here recently.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
Quote:
What should I read first?


The ebay "how to sell" instructions? ninja



Holy crap. I was gonna type this.


We are bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McClay
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Thank you all for your suggestions! This was incredibly helpful for me!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The official FAQ/Errata and a Game Overview & First Walkthrough document were released minutes ago on the official site. I gave them a gander and they're pretty comprehensive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McClay
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
This seems like a great time to start with Myth! I just printed those docs and I feel a lot more prepared to begin my journey
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.