Hide
14 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Whizzard and Reina themes inverted ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Armitage
msg tools
From a pure thematic point of view, shouldnt their abilities be swaped ? I mean, since Whizzard is the "master gamer", shouldnt be him to apply chess-like methods and strategies to his hacking ? And since Reina is the "Freedom Fighter", shouldnt be her to use credits to destroy / sabotage assets guerrilla-fighting style ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

I'll errata the cards now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Saltrelli
United States
Hilton
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could make a Whizzard Caissa deck. As far as I know, the only thing that implies Caissa goes with Raina is that she's in the card art for Deep Red. There's nothing saying you have to use Caissa with Raina. It's not like an identity ability or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reymundo514 wrote:
Well, you could make a Whizzard Caissa deck. As far as I know, the only thing that implies Caissa goes with Raina is that she's in the card art for Deep Red. There's nothing saying you have to use Caissa with Raina. It's not like an identity ability or something like that.

Well Reina Roja means Red Queen so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vini_lessa wrote:
From a pure thematic point of view, shouldnt their abilities be swaped ? I mean, since Whizzard is the "master gamer", shouldnt be him to apply chess-like methods and strategies to his hacking ? And since Reina is the "Freedom Fighter", shouldnt be her to use credits to destroy / sabotage assets guerrilla-fighting style ?

Interesting point.

Actually I think whizzard should have RR's ability, RR should have Noise's (guerrilla warfare) and noise should have whizzard's (things come easily to him).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In terms of their backgrounds though, I think their abilities fit just fine.

Noise is all about causing chaos for the fun of it. He trashes a card by playing a virus program, which is a core mechanic that it super useful and powerful. Seems a good fit for me, as viruses are such a big part of Anarch.

Whizzard is the runner I know the least about. I believe in his snippit story from his data pack he is making a run during a video game competition to shut down some kind of corporate asset? Seems fitting. Again, I know the least about him.

Reina is a perfect fit for chess. In her background she was a member of a special forces group and she is all about calculated risk/reward. Damon also talked about how he designed part of Reina off of a CO he knew who viewed most tactical strategies from the perspective of chess. In game, her ability synergizes with rook and if you build the rig correctly, it can synergize with just about every Caissa. Also her name means Red Queen...

So no, I don't think they should be swapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
I think noise's and whizzard's abilities should be swapped. I mean, affecting R&D just by installing a virus seems pretty whizzardly to me, and Noise has a friggin' detonator in his hand.

Plus whizzard's console, Grimoire, fits a Noise mill deck much better than Spinal Modem, which concurrently fits a Whizzard aggro deck very well.

As for Reina, she's can stay the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Whizzard stole Reina Roja's ID ability and Noise's console, that fat nerd's a poser who never makes anything himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenobob wrote:
Plus whizzard's console, Grimoire, fits a Noise mill deck much better than Spinal Modem, which concurrently fits a Whizzard aggro deck very well.

Spinal Modem isn't Noise's console. Currenly Noise has no console, and Spinal Modem isn't of any runner (yet).

Grimoire: Whizzard
Toolbox: Kate
Desperado: Gabe
Doppelganger: Ken
Dinosaurus: Chaos Theory
Logos: Iain
Deep Red: Reina
Blackguard: Silhouette
Monolith: Professor
Spinal Modem: ?
?: Andromeda
?: Kit
?: Noise
?: Exile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Have you considered that whizzard is the "master gamer" because he *enjoys* playing the game? Meaning he wants to play the long game and not blitz the centrals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
kroen wrote:

Spinal Modem isn't Noise's console. Currenly Noise has no console, and Spinal Modem isn't of any runner (yet).

Still, that's a freakin' detonator in Noise's hand; he likes to blow sh*t up crazy Anarch destructive style, just like blind "noise" running havoc in your servers. Give that man his 3 credits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarquelne
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
vini_lessa wrote:
since Whizzard is the "master gamer", shouldnt be him to apply chess-like methods and strategies to his hacking

This is SO true. Not only does everyone here probably know someone who won't stop talking about how well Deep Blue could play 7 Wonders, just the other day I passed group of hardcore RPG gamers and they were all about what Bobby Fisher would do if he saw a dragon.

Quote:
? And since Reina is the "Freedom Fighter", shouldnt be her to use credits to destroy / sabotage assets guerrilla-fighting style ?

She's the Real Deal.
Armchair hackers study trashing assets. Professionals study logistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.