Subject: United States variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tin Man
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
It has been 30 years since I played Diplomacy. I found a complete game at a thrift store and I am getting ready to teach my gaming group how to play.

I remember playing it with one player representing the United States. I don't remember if this was in addition to, or instead of one of the great powers already in the game. I thought it was part of the rules, but I can't find it anywhere in any version of the rules, or on any forums.

It could have been a way to expand the game to allow for 8 players, and maybe account for a player arriving late to play.

Basically, from what I remember, the US couldn't deploy armies or fleets until a few years into the game, but they could participate in the diplomacy sessions. They couldn't deploy armies until they had sufficient fleets (their own or with alliances) to convoy the armies from west off the Atlantic. I believe they continued to add forces each fall regardless of the number of industrial centers they occupied on the map.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to have this option if we get enough people, or someone wants to join in late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few sites that have US additions or just US maps for use with Diplomacy

http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php?variantID=69
http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps.html
http://webdiplomacy.net/variants.php

While some of these are for online play the maps are in good quality graphics that you can print them out for actual play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tin Man
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
The way we played didn't have a different map. The US started adding fleets to the Atlantic on the western side edge of the board and eventually was able to convoy armies to the land areas, but thanks for these links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tin.man wrote:

I remember playing it with one player representing the United States. I don't remember if this was in addition to, or instead of one of the great powers already in the game. I thought it was part of the rules, but I can't find it anywhere in any version of the rules, or on any forums.

Definitely not part of the regular rules.

I'm trying to imagine how this would work in practice. Were you playing some kind of team game where there were fixed alliances? I could sort of imagine it working in that kind of world, where for example you could just drop extra until into France or something, but France didn't mind.

Otherwise I'm having a hard time seeing why England and France would ever give him a foothold. Mostly it would just really really unbalance the west. E/F could never be safe. They'd always have to leave otherwise useless units at home to defend against phantom American units popping up. I don't know if I'd say the American position is too strong exactly, but it seems like it really screws up England and France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Schmidt
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
tin.man wrote:
It has been 30 years since I played Diplomacy. I found a complete game at a thrift store and I am getting ready to teach my gaming group how to play.

It could have been a way to expand the game to allow for 8 players, and maybe account for a player arriving late to play.

Basically, from what I remember, the US couldn't deploy armies or fleets until a few years into the game, but they could participate in the diplomacy sessions. They couldn't deploy armies until they had sufficient fleets (their own or with alliances) to convoy the armies from west off the Atlantic. I believe they continued to add forces each fall regardless of the number of industrial centers they occupied on the map.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to have this option if we get enough people, or someone wants to join in late.

This sounds like the 2-player "Great War" variant in the original Gamers' Guide to Diplomacy. Central Powers vs. Allies, flip a coin for Italy, US enters the war with 2 units in 1917 using French pieces on the left side of the board (the supply centers that support them are 'off-screen'). Russia goes into civil disorder a year later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.