Subject: Has anyone ever played with the US as a power? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tin Man
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
It has been 30 years since I played Diplomacy. I found a complete game at a thrift store and I am getting ready to teach my gaming group how to play.

I remember playing it with one player representing the United States. I don't remember if this was in addition to, or instead of one of the great powers already in the game. I thought it was part of the rules, but I can't find it anywhere in any version of the rules, or on any forums.

It could have been a way to expand the game to allow for 8 players, and maybe account for a player arriving late to play.

Basically, from what I remember, the US couldn't deploy armies or fleets until a few years into the game, but they could participate in the diplomacy sessions. They couldn't deploy armies until they had sufficient fleets (their own or with alliances) to convoy the armies from west off the Atlantic. I believe they continued to add forces each fall regardless of the number of industrial centers they occupied on the map.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to have this option if we get enough people, or someone wants to join in late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are United States variants, but these were never part of the base rules. IIRC, the US variants also took place on a US map -- but you may know a variant of which I am not aware. Normally, the Variant Bank is a good place to check, but it is malfunctioning at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds like a house rule/variant that someone made up.

I've seen a lot of variants, but never anything like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.