Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being insanely fiddly, 1 being smooth and non-mathy, where would everyone rank Level 7: OP? Note: I sold Descent, 2nd Edition because I thought it was too fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably say 5. There aren't that many moving parts in the game. Everyone rolls the same attack dice (either black or red), and you try to get a number or higher to deal one damage. Movement is pretty straight-forward for this style of game. Out-of-the-box LOS is pretty easy to learn too. There are some choices to be made before starting the game (Overseer gets to choose Room Cards and Door Placement, Commandos get to pick Kits (i.e. skills)), but during the game, I haven't found it terribly 'fiddly'.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's detailed.

That's not the same as fiddly.

There's lots of options. Meaning lots to consider.

Record keeping is very simple once you 'get it', especially the amazing overseer system.

I guess 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is a better question: How much record keeping is there? Thanks for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little. Most of it is via the Adrenaline system. When a commando wants to perform an action, he puts adrenaline tokens on his sheet. When the Overseer wants to perform an action, he puts adrenaline in the Dashboard well. Pretty simple, IMHO.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo John
Denmark
flag msg tools
Not sure is this is also what you guys consider record keeping, but the individual abilities provided to up to five commandos coming from stance (can change every turn) and kits is lots of record keeping in my opinion. Remembering to add another black die when attacking melee, that your fellow commando has +1 to range and you therefore could stop "there" instead of "there" is a bit overwhelming for some.

I'd say it's less fiddly than Descent, but record keeping-wise I wouldn't say it has less than Descent.

My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Darcy(Nyarl)'s playthrough should answer most questions. There's a number of videos but none are long. I didn't see anything standoutish in terms of fiddlyiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maros Miscik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Sure the game is complicated and someone may say fiddly and some people might find it annoying to pay attention to every +1 bonus and all the possible synergies and counting shortest range, very often there are situations where various options lead to simial effect and still there are subtle differences that players need to be aware of.
For me this is the beauty of the game where every problem has a number of solutions, players just need to extra careful and aware of what they are and are not capable of.

We are a D&D group so we like pimping out our "heroes" and equipment, it is part of fun for commandos, as well as preparing the mission is fun for the overseer. Compared to D&D however, it is much more demanding, requiries much more strategy, there are much less things to consider and calculate but if you make a mistakes you might be punished right away, with fatal consequences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.