Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buccaneer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chance Hanley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So, I'm making my own custom expansion of 4 factions, and one of those factions is the Army Ants, whose gimmick is having cards that give you bonuses when your own minions are destroyed. As just one example, their 4-power minion, M1 Antbrams, has the effect of "Ongoing: after one of your minions here is destroyed, this minion has +1 power until the end of your turn".

Buccaneer has the effect "If this minion would be destroyed, move it to another base instead." If I'm reading this correctly, that means that if you're playing Pirates/Army Ants, and you have a Buccaneer and a M1 Antbrams on the same base, and the Buccaneer gets "destroyed", the M1 Antbrams doesn't get a power boost because the Buccaneer wasn't actually destroyed. Am I reading this correctly?

On a related note, let's say you're playing Pirates/Tricksters versus Ninjas/Dinosaurs, and you have a poisoned Buccaneer with 0 power and a Gremlin on the same base, that your opponent then plays Laserceratops on. Could your opponent resolve the Laserceratops' ability by "destroying" the Buccaneer, or would they have to go for the Gremlin because they can't actually destroy the Buccaneer? For that matter, what would happen if the poisoned Buccaneer were the only 2 power or less minion you had on that base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
XionGaTaosenai wrote:

Buccaneer has the effect "If this minion would be destroyed, move it to another base instead." If I'm reading this correctly, that means that if you're playing Pirates/Army Ants, and you have a Buccaneer and a M1 Antbrams on the same base, and the Buccaneer gets "destroyed", the M1 Antbrams doesn't get a power boost because the Buccaneer wasn't actually destroyed. Am I reading this correctly?

No official word on it but consensuses is if your minion's ability triggers in response to a minion being destroyed, then it would not activate on a "failed attempt" because the trigger wasn't flipped so to speak

Quote:

On a related note, let's say you're playing Pirates/Tricksters versus Ninjas/Dinosaurs, and you have a poisoned Buccaneer with 0 power and a Gremlin on the same base, that your opponent then plays Laserceratops on. Could your opponent resolve the Laserceratops' ability by "destroying" the Buccaneer, or would they have to go for the Gremlin because they can't actually destroy the Buccaneer? For that matter, what would happen if the poisoned Buccaneer were the only 2 power or less minion you had on that base?

Again I'm not sure if I've ever seen official word on it but when a card says "Destroy" it really means "place a hit." Even if the "hit" fails you've fulfilled the card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Hanley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
allstar64 wrote:
Again I'm not sure if I've ever seen official word on it but when a card says "Destroy" it really means "place a hit." Even if the "hit" fails you've fulfilled the card text.

So does that mean you could "place a hit" on, say, a poisoned Warbot who explicitly cannot be destroyed, or does it not go that far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The way I've played it, yes you can. In fact there are some interesting situations where you are forced to pick a minion to destroy and if you have a "immune to destruction" minion in play you can target that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
The way I've played it, yes you can. In fact there are some interesting situations where you are forced to pick a minion to destroy and if you have a "immune to destruction" minion in play you can target that one.

I have to agree, but only because we got official word you can receive a benefit without destruction. You can target yourself for destruction and still receive a benefit, even if destruction doesn't occur (Powderkeg/General Ivan). If you can target yourself for destruction even if it is immune, logically you should be allowed to target others even if they are immune. Until official word comes down (never), I would say this interpretation makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.