Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I like to do is "investigate" (or stalk devil) users with similar tastes/views. I find this to be a great way to discover games, especially when the cult-of-the-new overshadows most games. But often times, users don't comment/rate their games (I'm very guilty of this); And if you find a user that does, it's a bit overwhelming to go through their entire collection.

So how about a feature where you scroll over a person's avatar... it "changes" to one of their fan/highest-rated games?

If you wanted to get really creative... when people log their plays, they could check an "impressed" box. Games with strong impressions increases the chances of that game being displayed when users scroll over your avatar.

Either way, the end result is promoting a game with less of a time burden. Users are able to contribute their opinion without writing comments or agonizing how the game fits on a BGG scale. And stalkers are able to gain a glimpse of one of their favorite games without being overwhelmed with comments/ratings from their entire collection.

Just a suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun, though the odds of anyone making that are fairly slim.

But if you want to see a person's favorite games at a glance, for most people that's what microbadges are for. At least I certainly have one MB slot reserved for my beloved BSG, whatever happens to my other badges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also (in case you didn't know) you can look at a player's collection and click the User Rating column to sort it by rating, thus immediately seeing at the top of the list which games they like the most (and their ratings and user comments for those games). (Doesn't quite do what you suggest, but is still useful.)

PS: having some kind of text appear over a user's avatar would conflict with the already existing OverText option which some users have spent geekgold for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
PS: having some kind of text appear over a user's avatar would conflict with the already existing OverText option which some users have spent geekgold for.

Except the idea here is not to replace the overtext, but rather to replace the avatar itself on mouseover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
russ wrote:

Except the idea here is not to replace the overtext, but rather to replace the avatar itself on mouseover.

Aha, yes, I see.

Hmm, I don't really like the idea of someone's avatar itself changing. That sounds too distracting, and avatars seem sufficiently linked as visual identification with a user, and consciously chosen by the user, that I'd personally rather they stay stable on the screen instead of turning into an image of some semi-random game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
It should promote three games.
One board game, one rpg and one video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
And there should be an animation of a dinosaur that appears to eat the avatar and flip out a piece of cardboard with the game pictures on it. And then it tries to hide behind the cardboard, but kind of ineffectually, because it's a dinosaur. And then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.