Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need critique on a 2 Player Card Game rule set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roman Beattie
msg tools
Here is a ruleset for a game I am currently developing, comments and critique is very much appreciated. I'm also unsure if this is too similar to the upcoming 40k game by FFG

Card types: There are 5 types of cards

Command cards are kept in a separate deck and are used during the battle step. A player can spend command points to play them from their hand. Each command card will usually tell you when you can play it.
A single Faction card represents a player’s faction. A faction card lists your Deployment points and Command points that you receive each turn, as well as an ability.

Unit cards are used to fight over locations. They have the following stats:

Threat: The combined threat of all your cards in your unit deck must be below a certain #
ATK: Amount of damage the unit inflicts when attacking
Health: The amount of damage the unit can take before being destroyed
Recruit cost: The cost to play the unit from your reserves
Reserve cost: The cost to play the unit from your Base

Location cards: The goal of the game is to score 3 out of 5 of the location cards. 5 of them are placed face-up on the board at the start of the game. Each location card has listed on it a battle condition, and a victory effect.

Militia cards are generic 1/1 units. Each player starts the game with a pile of them and whenever a militia card is slain it is returned to the pile.

Setup:
- Put 5 location cards from the 10 card location deck into the middle of the board
- Each player shuffles their command deck and draws 3 cards
- Each player places their unit deck face up.
- Randomly determine which player has the initiative
- Put the Battle counter on the location card furthest to the left of the starting player.

Turn sequence:

- Setup Phase: Each player receives command/deployment points equal to their faction card’s listed amount.
- Deployment phase: Starting with the player who has the intiative, players alternate deploying or recruiting units. When deploying a unit, pay its cost (deploy cost is used if the unit’s at base, recruit is if the unit’s in your unit deck) and put it at one of the location cards in the middle of the board. Once both players pass, the phase ends
- Battle Phase: Battle commences at the location which has the battle counter. A battle involves the following steps:

Tactics Step: Starting with the player with the initiative, players alternate using the Tactics abilities of their units. Some require a unit to exhaust to use their tactics ability and won’t be able to inflict damage in the Assault Step.

Assault Step:

(I can’t decide between these three combat resolutions):

Total the ATK of your Ready units, distribute that much damage to your opponent’s units.

Total the ATK of your opponent’s Ready units, distribute that much damage among your units

Starting with the player who has the initiative, players alternate striking with their units. When a unit strikes, exhaust it and it inflicts its ATK damage to an opponent's unit.

Resolution Step: Any units with damage on them equal to their health are destroyed (this applies only for ideas 1&2, in idea 3 they are destroyed as soon as they take enough damage. Destroyed units cannot be recruited or deployed for the rest of the game). If both players still have units at the location, the player with the initiative must determine if they wish to Fight or Retreat, then the opponent must choose if they wish to Fight or Retreat. If a player Retreats, he or she puts all of their surviving units in the battle into their Base zone (where they can be reused again in subsequent turns). If both players choose to Fight, their surviving units Ready and a new round of combat begins.

Winning a location: When you win a location, take that location card and put it into your victory pile. Your units are then placed in your deployment zone. Put the battle counter on the location on the right.

If both players don’t have any more units at their location, the player with the initiative wins the location.

- End step: The turn ends and initiative passes to the other player.

Some card pictures and art

(can be edited to include more stats/etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Misner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Gadget_Steamhoof wrote:
Here is a ruleset for a game I am currently developing, comments and critique is very much appreciated. I'm also unsure if this is too similar to the upcoming 40k game by FFG

Card types: There are 5 types of cards

Command cards are kept in a separate deck and are used during the battle step. A player can spend command points to play them from their hand. Each command card will usually tell you when you can play it.
A single Faction card represents a player’s faction. A faction card lists your Deployment points and Command points that you receive each turn, as well as an ability.

Unit cards are used to fight over locations. They have the following stats:

Threat: The combined threat of all your cards in your unit deck must be below a certain #
ATK: Amount of damage the unit inflicts when attacking
Health: The amount of damage the unit can take before being destroyed
Recruit cost: The cost to play the unit from your reserves
Reserve cost: The cost to play the unit from your Base

Location cards: The goal of the game is to score 3 out of 5 of the location cards. 5 of them are placed face-up on the board at the start of the game. Each location card has listed on it a battle condition, and a victory effect.

Militia cards are generic 1/1 units. Each player starts the game with a pile of them and whenever a militia card is slain it is returned to the pile.

Setup:
- Put 5 location cards from the 10 card location deck into the middle of the board
- Each player shuffles their command deck and draws 3 cards
- Each player places their unit deck face up.
- Randomly determine which player has the initiative
- Put the Battle counter on the location card furthest to the left of the starting player.

Turn sequence:

- Setup Phase: Each player receives command/deployment points equal to their faction card’s listed amount.
- Deployment phase: Starting with the player who has the intiative, players alternate deploying or recruiting units. When deploying a unit, pay its cost (deploy cost is used if the unit’s at base, recruit is if the unit’s in your unit deck) and put it at one of the location cards in the middle of the board. Once both players pass, the phase ends
- Battle Phase: Battle commences at the location which has the battle counter. A battle involves the following steps:

Tactics Step: Starting with the player with the initiative, players alternate using the Tactics abilities of their units. Some require a unit to exhaust to use their tactics ability and won’t be able to inflict damage in the Assault Step.

Assault Step:

(I can’t decide between these three combat resolutions):

Total the ATK of your Ready units, distribute that much damage to your opponent’s units.

Total the ATK of your opponent’s Ready units, distribute that much damage among your units

Starting with the player who has the initiative, players alternate striking with their units. When a unit strikes, exhaust it and it inflicts its ATK damage to an opponent's unit.

Resolution Step: Any units with damage on them equal to their health are destroyed (this applies only for ideas 1&2, in idea 3 they are destroyed as soon as they take enough damage. Destroyed units cannot be recruited or deployed for the rest of the game). If both players still have units at the location, the player with the initiative must determine if they wish to Fight or Retreat, then the opponent must choose if they wish to Fight or Retreat. If a player Retreats, he or she puts all of their surviving units in the battle into their Base zone (where they can be reused again in subsequent turns). If both players choose to Fight, their surviving units Ready and a new round of combat begins.

Winning a location: When you win a location, take that location card and put it into your victory pile. Your units are then placed in your deployment zone. Put the battle counter on the location on the right.

If both players don’t have any more units at their location, the player with the initiative wins the location.

- End step: The turn ends and initiative passes to the other player.

Some card pictures and art

(can be edited to include more stats/etc.)

What's the theme of the game? Any background there? Trying to put the artwork together and can't follow what the theme is haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Beattie
msg tools
Theme:
Caprinaria (working title) is a war story set in the land of Caprinaria six hundred years after the Caprans (a species of equine-goat hybrids) revolted against their Hethrell slave masters and banished them to the wilderness of Bruul. In the centuries that passed the Caprans prospered in their new paradise but the Hethrell were disparate and suffered terribly in their harsh new land. Their species was only saved from extinction and forged into a militant empire by the charismatic leadership of their Patriarch, whom they revere as a messiac figure. Tension between the two nations grows as the Hethrell begin to expand and threaten to break the Liberation Treaty, a one-sided agreement similar to the Treaty of Versailles which prevents them from entering the no-mare's land between Caprinaria and Bruul, but the growing Hethrell populace is in need of food and resources. Protests against the Liberation Treaty at the border have been becoming an everyday occurrence. The uneasy peace breaks when to win over the council and public's support for war the Patriarch places ex-criminals as suicide bombers among the protestors, the resulting chaos causing the Capran guards to fire on the protesters. The Patriarch's council and the public almost unanimously agrees to war, centuries of hatred and bitterness finally unleashed.

The novel is told from the perspective of a young Capran mare named Gadget Steamhoof, whose parents were stationed at the border due to the rising tension between the two nations and in their absence has been raising her little sister, Pip, like she was her own daughter. When war is declared on Caprinaria she is conscripted and forced to leave the comfort of her solitary life and be thrust into the heart of war. She will have to learn to make friends in order to survive and overcome the horrors of war while holding onto her morals and sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Misner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Any look at more than two players or are you set on a two player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Beattie
msg tools
It could certainly be for 3 or more players, though the teams would need to be even (having a third team might make things too messy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Misner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Let me make sure I am following your rules correctly. Basically you have creatures that are placed at locations and they fight with the other players creatures. Once a battle takes place whoever has the location takes it. The player who wins theee locations first wins correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Beattie
msg tools
Essentially you have 5 locations to start with, the one furthest to the left of the starting player is the one being fought over at the end of the turn. You can look through your unit deck and play them for their cost at locations. You can choose to put them at the location being battled over this turn, or at later locations in case you prefer their victory condition or feel you can't win the current battle. Only 1 location is fought over each turn though, if players have units at a location that doesn't have the battle counter (always the one furthest to the left of the starting player) then those units will have their battle later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Misner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
First take without playing the rules feel flat. What I mean by that is there doesn't appear to be very much complexity in the turn. I'm personally not a fan of overly complex games by any means but your rules make it sound like there are really only two kinds of cards being deployed which are creatures and spells of some sort which affect the game. You don't list how many of which cards are drawn and it's hard to decipher how a game will play out, but it sounds like there isn't very much that can take place on each turn.

Likewise the location cards could be tied to a board of some sort, and personally I'd like to see your rules include more cards that can affect the outcome of the game.

Your rules are pretty vague and I can't offer up much more advice other than that because the rules don't explain in a lot of detail how the game plays. Perhaps a cards list or something might help is understand in more detail what the rules are stating.

Perhaps a little more detail on how the game plays in the rules will help but at first glance the game doesn't sound very complex or that much strategy can be implemented as you're limited to your creature abilities and again there's only one other kind of card that sounds like can affect the games outcome, so a lot of chance in the cards you draw and in what order.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, That art is super pretty.

I like option three of the assault step it seems fairer.

This seems like a super fast alternative to Battle for Stalingrad Might be worthwile to have a look at those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Misner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I also like the third option for the attack phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I review rules, I do so from the viewpoint of a writer.
The rules immediately start with card types, basically causing the reader to get bogged down in detail.

You need to start with the objective/goal of the player (what do they want to achieve) and what you have in the box, then slowly start to get into more detail as you go along when you've got the player invested.

In the end, you should re-emphasize the goal of the game by explaining not just how you win a location, but how you win the game in its entirety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought: Would the people who would be interested in a tactical war card game also be interested in My Little Pony?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Carson
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprisingly, yes. There is a movement called bronies. I don't know if that is a derogatory term or not, so I apologize if it is.

But overall I like the look of the card and I think the art is interesting.

-Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.