Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: New player with some questions. Any help appreciated. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Newer player with some rules questions (I did my best to try to find these answers so I apologize if asking these is repetitive or annoying to anyone):


1. If I have a Target Lock token active on an enemy and I don't use it, I know it stays locked-in. My question is can I also have a Focus action placed on my ship with the target lock (or an evade token)? So can I have and use both in one turn? For example, if I have a Target Lock in Turn 3 but I don't use it, in Turn 4 can I place a Focus token on my ship as well for my action that turn and then use both the Target Lock and the Focus token during combat?


2. With Upgrade cards (like several of the missile cards), they say something like "ATTACK (Target Lock): Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack." I know this probably sounds dumb but this would mean that I have to have a Target Lock ability for this upgrade to work, correct? Also, this would be considered a secondary attack, then?


3. I found the wording on Obstructions confusing as it pertains to movement and stopping. The rules state that: "Important: When overlapping an obstacle token, the ship stays where it lands (on top of the token). A ship that is overlapping an obstacle token during the Combat phase cannot attack any ship but may be targeted by other ships as normal."

My question is this, is this stating that IF you, at any time, cross through an obstacle (like you bash into and past an asteroid or something) you have to stop on it? Because it says the ship stays where it lands but what if your path goes beyond the obstacle and you don't end up stopping on it?


4. For the Marksmanshipupgrade - this ability has to be your chosen action in order to work during combat, correct? So if I use this I can't use a Focus or Evade action (or any other "action") during that turn, correct?


5. Boba Fett's infamous Slave 1 ship has the ability, after selecting his manuever, of switching it to the other direction (so he can swing either left or right). I don't see the point of this ability or why it's any good? No one sees the original choice but Boba's player anyway so why is the switch a big surprise? Is it useful because as a highly skilled pilot he'll take his movement later on and can switch on the fly?


Thank you for any answers, my fellow X-Wing aficionados!! I'm loving this game, it's pure dead brilliant!

Also, I may post some more questions in here if that's okay?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 yes

2 you need to have a target lock, it is a secondary attack.

3 you end where your manuever template ends you, if on a rock- no action or shooting. if your template crosses the asteroid but the ship ends clear of the asteroid then no action but you do get to shoot. in both cases you would roll one die to check for damage.

4 correct, but you could push the limit for another action.

5 fett + Navigator = interesting, but much like the movies he is over rated
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Is it useful because as a highly skilled pilot he'll take his movement later on and can switch on the fly?


Yes, that's the idea. You can change your mind on which direction to go after seeing almost everyone else's moves play out.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a Fett+Navigator list right now. It is extremely handy to see exactly where you opponent is going before you have to lock in your move. I choose a bank 1 99% of the time so I have the option of 6 different maneuvers. Then if you add things that only trigger at particular ranges, you can really pick your range and maximize that benefit. Especially good against players who like to predict where you're going and block you for action denial.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Newer player with some rules questions (I did my best to try to find these answers so I apologize if asking these is repetitive or annoying to anyone):


1. If I have a Target Lock token active on an enemy and I don't use it, I know it stays locked-in. My question is can I also have a Focus action placed on my ship with the target lock (or an evade token)? So can I have and use both in one turn? For example, if I have a Target Lock in Turn 3 but I don't use it, in Turn 4 can I place a Focus token on my ship as well for my action that turn and then use both the Target Lock and the Focus token during combat?


Target Lock lets you re-roll any number of dice. Focus lets you change any Focus die results to hits. So they're completely separate functions that do not inhibit each other. Keep in mind, though, you likely want to wait to use your Focus token until after you've re-rolled with Target Lock to catch any new Focus symbols you might roll. And, since you can only ever re-roll a die once per attack, any abilities that let you re-roll dice -- like Han's -- don't play nice with Target Locks.

Quote:
2. With Upgrade cards (like several of the missile cards), they say something like "ATTACK (Target Lock): Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack." I know this probably sounds dumb but this would mean that I have to have a Target Lock ability for this upgrade to work, correct? Also, this would be considered a secondary attack, then?


You don't necessarily need the Target Lock action to use these upgrades; there are several abilities that hand out Target Locks to ships. It doesn't matter how you get the Target Lock, just that you have one to spend when it's time to use the upgrade.

Quote:
3. I found the wording on Obstructions confusing as it pertains to movement and stopping. The rules state that: "Important: When overlapping an obstacle token, the ship stays where it lands (on top of the token). A ship that is overlapping an obstacle token during the Combat phase cannot attack any ship but may be targeted by other ships as normal."

My question is this, is this stating that IF you, at any time, cross through an obstacle (like you bash into and past an asteroid or something) you have to stop on it? Because it says the ship stays where it lands but what if your path goes beyond the obstacle and you don't end up stopping on it?


The wording about staying where it lands is to differentiate it from the rules for colliding with a ship, which have you back up along the maneuver template until you're merely touching the ship. You don't do this with obstacles, thus the specific wording here. Also note that you still roll for damage and skip your Perform Action step even if your maneuver template crosses an obstacle, without your ship landing on it. You can still attack, though, which isn't the case if your maneuver ends on the obstacle.

Quote:
4. For the Marksmanshipupgrade - this ability has to be your chosen action in order to work during combat, correct? So if I use this I can't use a Focus or Evade action (or any other "action") during that turn, correct?


Unless you somehow acquire the ability to perform more than one action (via upgrade or a friendly ship's ability), yes.

Quote:
5. Boba Fett's infamous Slave 1 ship has the ability, after selecting his manuever, of switching it to the other direction (so he can swing either left or right). I don't see the point of this ability or why it's any good? No one sees the original choice but Boba's player anyway so why is the switch a big surprise? Is it useful because as a highly skilled pilot he'll take his movement later on and can switch on the fly?


That's it exactly. It's a good way for him to avoid a scrum that would cost him his action and/or target, or to put him in a better position to drop a bomb.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks fellas! I'm infinitely grateful for the clear, well-worded and in some cases extra detailed explanations. I'm behind the curve on this game and trying to learn fast. I love it!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:

Quote:
5. Boba Fett's infamous Slave 1 ship has the ability, after selecting his manuever, of switching it to the other direction (so he can swing either left or right). I don't see the point of this ability or why it's any good? No one sees the original choice but Boba's player anyway so why is the switch a big surprise? Is it useful because as a highly skilled pilot he'll take his movement later on and can switch on the fly?


That's it exactly. It's a good way for him to avoid a scrum that would cost him his action and/or target, or to put him in a better position to drop a bomb.


To elaborate a bit more, Fett is PS8 so he will likely be moving last or close to it. By the time he needs to move you will be able to switch it to the preferable direction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
I'm running a Fett+Navigator list right now. It is extremely handy to see exactly where you opponent is going before you have to lock in your move. I choose a bank 1 99% of the time so I have the option of 6 different maneuvers. Then if you add things that only trigger at particular ranges, you can really pick your range and maximize that benefit. Especially good against players who like to predict where you're going and block you for action denial.


Hmmm! Now you have me wondering if I should swap Kath for Fett in my twin Firesprays?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding obstacles, note that you do not move the ship along the template in a pushing movement. Instead, you are supposed to pick it up and then place it at the end of the template. Thus, it cannot collide with asteroids on its way. The template or the ship base may overlap an asteroid in the final position.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.