Raymond Fontaine
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How long is an average game with this expansion, roughly, if you are unlocking different modules here and there?

Also, I have never played the base game, but I'm really interested in the whole package, which I know just ended on kickstarter. THe whole package can still be ordered at their main site, however.

I like Agricola and Puerto Rico quite a bit. I have the Farmers of the Moor expansion for Agricola, and enjoy it very much. I also have Caverna on order at this time.
That being said, does this game (including expansion) provide a "fun" game experience? Fun for a group of 3-4 players or so? Does it provide a solid experience of strategy and not too much luck driven game?
Does it take forever to set up and play?
Please let me know your thoughts, as I am really interested. At over 100 dollars now, it is a big investment for me, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
They advertise that Viticulture is a 60 minute game. In my experience it's more like 90-120 minutes. I don't think the Tuscany packs will add too much to the time. If anything, the introduction of the Grande worker and some of the other special meeple workers will speed the game up because you aren't blocked from using spaces, which speeds the game up as you aren't spending actions that aren't contributing to your game plans.

Also you don't unlock modules during games, you unlock them between games, just in case that is what you are thinking.

I'd say it definitely provides a fun experience, that's not to say the original didn't provide a fun experience. With the changes to some of the over powered visitor cards and the addition of the new meeples I'd say that the luck factor is really mitigated. Strategy definitely is important.

Set up and tear down time is not significant. Just a couple minutes each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Joe--I think it's more accurately 20 minutes per player. Some of the expansions make the game a little shorter; others make it a little longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Fontaine
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I appreciate those responses. Thanks also Jamey for being active on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Strangegame74 wrote:
How long is an average game with this expansion, roughly, if you are unlocking different modules here and there?

Also, I have never played the base game, but I'm really interested in the whole package, which I know just ended on kickstarter. THe whole package can still be ordered at their main site, however.

I like Agricola and Puerto Rico quite a bit. I have the Farmers of the Moor expansion for Agricola, and enjoy it very much. I also have Caverna on order at this time.
That being said, does this game (including expansion) provide a "fun" game experience? Fun for a group of 3-4 players or so? Does it provide a solid experience of strategy and not too much luck driven game?
Does it take forever to set up and play?
Please let me know your thoughts, as I am really interested. At over 100 dollars now, it is a big investment for me, however.

When playtesting our group found that the Tier One expansion elements actually cut down the play time. The Grande meeple, in particular, was a great asset in that.

We haven't played as much with the Tier Two elements but we didn't find that it added hugely to the overall playing time. Maybe ten minutes or so?

Disclaimers
(All players are different, all groups are different so this may or may not be relevant or helpful. But here goes anyway.)

#1 Most of the playtesting I did was with either two or three people, although there were a couple of games with bigger groups. If you regularly play with a larger group your game time may be different.
#2 We consistently found that two-player games were longer than three-player games. We came to the conclusion that this was because you don't have access to any of the bonus spots in a 2p game.
#3 The large group games (4-5+ players) of Viticulture+/-Tuscany that I've played have all been 2hrs+. It seemed to us that it was about 30mins per person for a game.
#4 The 3-player games were an exception to #3 - they just seemed to hit a sweet spot timewise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
My two player games have been two hours. If you play with the bigger tier three expansions I don't know how your game doesn't go longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about play times for the T3 expansions. Unfortunately, due to a combination of personal circumstances, I didn't get to playtest those before the Tuscany Ks was launched.

Hopefully someone who has played them a lot will weigh in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tier three expansions add more opportunities, but don't increase the point total and don't require you to do anything additional. The only one that has any loss at all is the one point you lose when playing Aboriculture if you ignore your morale. They won't increase the game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.