12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Airport Luggage Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Usually I come up with a game idea, flesh it out, have a couple of trial games, produce rudimentary art, then flounder and not do anything with it - then someone else actually comes out with a similar game. I'm changing tactics this time, just going to give out my basic ideas as I go along and hopefully keep the momentum going.

So here is the idea: The game has a track that represents a luggage carousel at an airport. One half is off limits to the players, the other half is where the players jostle to pick the correct luggage. Each player has a card that say what luggage they need to collect, and the winner is the person that collects all of theirs first and doesn't have any extra. Just like in real life (because so many people choose to buy similar-looking luggage for some reason), it won't be immediately obvious that the luggage is yours until you pick it up - this will be secondary hidden info, maybe written on the back of the card.

There are several slots next to the carousel that the player have access to, and in their turn they can choose to swap places with another player or shift everyone by one place in one direction. In every turn, even if it isn't your own, all players get to either pick up one piece of luggage that is on the carousel in front of them, or put back a piece they have previously picked up but don't need. Then the luggage shifts down the carousel by one place, some pieces becoming unavailable and some becoming available again.

Strategies would be based around getting the luggage you need, whilst blocking others from getting the pieces they need.

There will be around 6-8 types of luggage, and 1-4 variations of each of those as hidden info, so around 30 luggage cards. Then another 10 or so cards that describe which luggage each player has to collect, of which they get one in each game. Then there is the board and something to designate which player is in which position.

The theme isn't massively inspiring. Could maybe switch it up to be more like workers in a factory that makes amusing products and the luggage is product parts. Or maybe a belt sushi restaurant. Anything with a conveyor belt really.

Initial thoughts? Is there anything like this already out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal thoughts? The theme is so ridiculous that I like it!

Remember when airlines used to have their own decks of playing cards? How awesome would it be to have this game sponsored by an airline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As I'm reading this description I'm thinking of a board with a little trench in it, and the bags are round markers that slide along the trench moving into new positions each turn.

Like the river pieces in Niagra, for example.

The theme is certainly unique, just not sure how *fun* it would be!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Some pretty positive feedback I guess, so I will plod along with it. I've thought of a much more in-depth version where you compete for the luggage lists as well as the luggage itself, which would make the game longer and more complicated - more like a standard Euro than the quicker game outlined above. I stick with the simple version for now.

The theme still bugs me a bit, but it is what gave me the original idea. Not too hard to change at a later date though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lipchen
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been designing a game with this same theme for the past six months, so I say it's a gooder! How would you feel about collaborating? PM me if you might be interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just listening to a podcast (D6G maybe) where one of the guest hosts was talking about his first game designs. One was called: "Where's my Luggage?" I thought to myself: "That's a great idea for a game!" It's just ludicrous enough to work. Sounds like fun. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanRoberts wrote:
Usually I come up with a game idea, flesh it out, have a couple of trial games, produce rudimentary art, then flounder and not do anything with it - then someone else actually comes out with a similar game.

So far, this approach has worked for me. I am really wondering why you felt the sudden need to change??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
IanRoberts wrote:
Usually I come up with a game idea, flesh it out, have a couple of trial games, produce rudimentary art, then flounder and not do anything with it - then someone else actually comes out with a similar game.

So far, this approach has worked for me. I am really wondering why you felt the sudden need to change??

I'd like to finish a game and get it out in the open for once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you get points for destroying other people's luggage?

Pete (thinks you should )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Klein

Missouri
msg tools
interesting place to go for a game idea - Since you're looking for feedback here is my personal impression - while I can picture the intrigue of the game, for selling, the luggage carousal just reads a little too flat! I get it though, nice way of thought. I'm with some of the others thinking about how your game mechanic idea could be translated to a different theme. Either way, good luck! This is just my opinion Afterall, and it would be interesting to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds like it could have some fun in it.

One thing that occurs to me is that could you have a deck of cards representing the "out the back" luggage. Then luggage that reaches the end of the visible conveyor could go to the bottom of the deck, and the conveyor could be refilled from the top. This deck could also have extra cards added to it at various points (maybe slotting new cards randomly into the middle?).

Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
The generally positive feedback is good. This might be a contender for the microgame competition, could be done with cards only. It's rather light, the mechanism could be used as one half of another heavier game.

First attempt at the proper rules, no playtesting done at all. Working title: Whose Luggage?

Setup

D-LLLLL-d Carousel row*
___123x__ Player row**

D = luggage deck
L = luggage card
d = luggage discards
_ = unavailable spots next to the carousel
1,2,3 = player
x = empty spots next to the carousel

*Note: Players can see what the next two pieces of luggage will be before it becomes available to the players.
**Note: One empty slot, plus one for each of the players (up to six?)

Deal out the luggage cards onto the carousel before assigning characters to the players.
Each player is randomly assigned a character and begins with a list of luggage they need to collect.
Examples:
Geraldine Ethelmeyer: Red Suitcase, Green Rucksack, Yellow Trunk
Henry Hagglesmith: White Golfbag, Red Suitcase, Black Suitcase
Billy Jones: Green Rucksack, Black Suitcase, Blue Trunk

The first player to collect all of their luggage is the winner.

Players can hold no more than three pieces of luggage, including those that don't belong to them. Make sure that the backs of the luggage cards are not seen while moving them. A player can only look at the back of a luggage card if they have picked it up from the carousel. They don't have to tell anyone whose name is on the back. If it has their name on the back, then it counts towards their winning collection. Players are not limited to picking up the type of luggage on their list!

Turn Order
1. Every player performs one action: either picks up the luggage in front of them, drops a piece they have into an empty slot, or does nothing.
2. The player whose turn it is can either move into an empty part of the carousel, or shift all players one space to the left or right. Players moved off the end of the carousel by shifting must choose an empty part of the carousel to be placed into.
3. Move all luggage on the carousel one place to the right. Luggage that is no longer available goes to the *bottom* of the discard pile. A new piece of luggage from the luggage deck is placed on the very left of the carousel. If the luggage deck becomes empty, move the luggage discard pile (no shuffling) to the left of the carousel and now use it as the luggage deck.

Notes:
I'm thinking about having dummy players in the game that just get in the way of the other players. And maybe they can pick up luggage if it matches their list. Some of the suggested ideas are interesting, but I think I will have a go as it is for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.