Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I've decided to take my game Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp and apply the theme to a real-time, semi-cooperative, dice-rolling card game. Please look it over and let me know what you think. meeple

Infection: Race for the Cure

Components

• 1 three-minute sand timer
• 4 Scientist meeples (in 4 different colours)
• 16 dice (4 white, 8 blue and 4 yellow)
• 3 decks of cards:
o Level I: 12 Cards
o Level II: 12 Cards
o Level III: 12 Cards

Summary and Object of the Game

Infection: Race for the Cure is a real-time, semi-cooperative card game for 1-4 players. Instead of playing the game in rounds, each player rolls his four dice as quickly and as often as can without waiting for his teammates. Players have only nine minutes to eliminate all the molecules from the virus, so don't dawdle. Every second you delay brings you a step closer to extinction of the human race from a deadly viral outbreak.

The Die Icons

There are 16 dice in the game. 4 white, 8 blue and 4 yellow. Each player would get 1 of each of the white and yellow, and two blue dice, for a total of 4 dice per player.

Molecule Cards

The game comes with 36 cards in 3 decks:
o Level I: 12 Cards
o Level II: 12 Cards
o Level III: 12 Cards

Each card has a number of microscopes on the back:
o Level I cards have 1 microscope
o Level II cards have 2 microscopes
o Level III cards have 3 microscopes

Each card will display 2 or 3 proteins symbols. These are the combination of proteins you will need to roll to target that molecule.

Each card will have a victory point value. This value is determined by the proteins that make up the molecule:
Protein Value

So a card with 2 Blue proteins and 1 Green protein will be worth 5 Victory points at the end of the game.

Some of the cards will display a symbol that grants the owner of the card a one-time power. It may be one of the following:
• One of the 5 protein symbols: The card can be played as though it were one of your dice that had rolled that protein. For example: If a player were targeting a molecule card with a Green Protein and a Yellow Protein, the player could roll a Green Protein on his die and use a card with a Yellow Protein symbol on it as a substitute for a rolled Yellow Protein.
• A Rat: Allows you to automatically destroy the molecule you have targeted without having to roll the proteins it requires.
• Double Protein: One of the proteins you roll counts as two of that protein. For example, if you are targeting a molecule with 2 Green Proteins, you just have to roll 1 Green Protein and use this card to make it count as 2 of that Protein.
• Wild Protein: Use the card as a substitute for any rolled protein when targeting a molecule.
• Target any card: As long as you rolled the right number of microscopes, you can target any card in the columns you can research.
• Reroll the white die: A player can play this card to reroll their white die if they so desire.
• Remove your meeple from a targeted card: You may play this card to remove your meeple from a card it is sitting on and move it to another available card.
Once a player uses the one-time power of a card, they must flip it over face down so it cannot be used again for the remainder of the game.

Setup

• Each player would get 1 of each of the white and yellow dice, and two blue dice, for a total of 4 dice per player
• Each player gets a Scientist meeple and places it front of them
• Shuffle each of the molecule decks into separate piles: Level I, Level II and Level III
• Place the 3 decks in a row horizontally, face down
• Place a number of cards, face up, into columns below the 3 decks according the number of players:
o 1 Player: 3 cards per column, 9 cards in total
o 2 Players: 5 cards per column, 15 cards in total
o 3 Players: 7 cards per column, 21 cards in total
o 4 Players: 9 cards per column, 27 cards in total
• Place the timer so all the sand is at the bottom

Game Play

All players play simultaneously in this game. There are no turns.

At the start of the game one of the players flips over the sand timer and yells "GO!"

First each player rolls their white die. Whatever has been rolled cannot be rerolled at this point unless they use an one-time power card to reroll it. They then move the die to the side so it does not accidently get changed.

Next the player rolls their other 3 dice (2 blue, 1 yellow). They are trying to roll microscopes so they can target a molecule in one of the 3 columns. They can save a die or dice and reroll the others to get the desired number of molecules. They must have at least one microscope to target a molecule in the Level I column, at least two microscopes to target a molecule in the Level II column, and at least three microscopes to target a molecule in the Level III column. Any microscopes displayed on the white die count towards this total. For example, if the white die displayed 2 microscopes, the player could automatically target a molecule in either Level I or Level II of the virus without rolling their other die. If they wanted to target a molecule in Level III, then would have roll one microscope with their other dice.
NOTE: A player can target a molecule in a level with fewer microscopes then what they rolled if they choose.

When the player has rolled enough microscopes (including ones on the white die), they must quickly take their meeple and place it on top available molecule card of any column that they have enough microscopes for (see above for an example). If 2 people try to place it at once, the first player to get their meeple on the card and their hand off it gets the card.

In no one has placed a meeple in a column yet, then they must place their meeple on the top card of that column. But if someone has placed a meeple on the top card, then they can place their meeple on the card below it. Once you have placed your meeple on a card, you cannot remove it until you have destroyed the molecule.

Once you have placed your meeple on a card, you now must quickly your dice to get the proteins needed to destroy that molecule. If a molecule has a Blue Protein and Green Protein, then the player must have both of those proteins rolled on their dice. They can reroll their dice as often as takes to get those proteins displayed. When a die displays one of the required proteins, they must set it aside. Once the player has all the required proteins, they quickly take their meeple back and also take the molecule card. If the molecule card has a one-time power displayed, then they place the card face up near them so they can use on a future action. If it does not have a one-time power, then they place it face down.

Now the player can reroll their white die and start the whole process over again.

When the sand runs out on the timer, all players must stop rolling their dice. They must remove their meeples from the cards. One of the players will take the top card of each Level deck and place it on the top of each column so it becomes the new top card. Once all three cards have been placed, that player flips over the sand time and shouts "GO!" and players must reroll their white die again as they did at the beginning of the game.

Game End

The game can end in one of two ways:
• All the cards are gone before the sand time runs out the 3rd time
• The sand time runs out the 3rd time and there is still one card left in the virus that has not been destroyed.

If there is still a card left when the sand timer runs out a 3rd time, then all the players lose.

If all the cards are gone before the sand timer runs out a 3rd time, then all the players win. The player with the most victory points from the cards they took wins the Nobel Prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds fantastic.

*is there any sort of PNP file so I could do something with my surplus zombie indented dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddtime wrote:
Sounds fantastic.

*is there any sort of PNP file so I could do something with my surplus zombie indented dice?

Still a work in progress, but I will gladly supply Print-n-Play files for people who already have indented dice when it reached the play tester stage. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "Race for the Cure" is trademarked by the Susan Komen Foundation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
I think "Race for the Cure" is trademarked by the Susan Komen Foundation.

I Googled it and found this article:

Is Susan G. Komen for the Cure® a Trademark Bully?

http://www.legalteamusa.net/tacticalip/2013/02/22/is-susan-g...

I can't even use the phrases "...for the cure" or "...for a cure" without infringing.

I will have to rethink the title. Suggestions welcome! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection: Speed to Recovery
Infection: Healthy Pursuits

Or since you have "Last Gasp," maybe "Death Rattle" is an option, focusing on the price of failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection: A Roll of the Dice

Infection: Time Runs Out

Infection: Frenzy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.