Subject: Solo Play - Alexander Mackenzie question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Kenney
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, let me say that I am really loving this game. I've played a handful of solo games and have only won once - and that by a very slight margin.

My question comes down to the movement of Alexander Mackenzie. In the rules it states that he moves one space forward per each of my turns. It also states that I should treat him as a Scout.

So, should he be able to hop my scout and/or vice versa? Or does he just always move "one" space, even if that leaves him to share a space with my scout?

My gut tells me he can hop me, and I him. I just want to see other's thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how I have been playing, although I have as much experience as you. Also, really great game....very crunchy.

I have also been playing that I have to skip over him when moving back, upon encampment. Poor planning, and he nipped me for an extra spot in the mountains (shakes fist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't occur to me that you would have this interaction with Mackenzie. I definitely agree that you cannot occupy the same space as him. This slight wrinkle means that the solo game is not quite an exercise of counting the number of turns it took you to get to the end and then compare your result to a table of 'success'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep: Alexander Mackenzie is treated as a scout in every way! So you can jump over him....and he can jump over you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kenney
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's how I've been playing and it seems to make the most sense. But, boy, it can be frustrating! Has anybody here found any solid strategies for success in solo? My win was pretty much due to some fortunate cards coming up early. I wish I had some more bankable strategies, so that I could adjust the difficulty and actually find "easy" to be easy!

BTW, I find the river portions of the trail to be fairly easy to traverse, but the mountains in this game can be ruthless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
adamken47 wrote:
That's how I've been playing and it seems to make the most sense. But, boy, it can be frustrating! Has anybody here found any solid strategies for success in solo?

No.

But theriously, folks, I think the "hang back and tech up" strategy works MUCH better in solo than in multi-player. Alex is always going to be moving one step at a time. If you can somehow create an engine that's going to allow you to make massive leaps every two or three turns, then you're laughing; but it requires tremendous patience, since it is so nerve-wracking to see Alex moving every single time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played as though he is like any other player's scout, which does in fact make it a tougher solo play. Which I like. When I have been close, approaching a mountain, he has forced me into actions I didn't want to take. No win for me yet, but my second play was much closer than the first. And I will say that solo plays definitely helped me teach the game smoothly later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple more solo, and won both of them with MacKenzie starting in St. Louis. I am not sure if there is one sure fire strategy. It seems as though you have to read the cards, and decide what your engine is going to be, sort of Dominion like. Getting some extra boats, at the right time, and managing your hand ( what and when to add/subtract), is critical, sort of like London (but with boats instead of Burroughs). Finally, it is about pumping your engine, hand, and movements as efficiently as possible......oh, and don't make any mistakes....all easier said than done.

Of course with more people, you aren't going to always be able to read and get those cards, for your engine. Either way, it seems to play out differently every time, which is pretty incredible. Can't wait to spring this on my groups. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lost solo mode three times in a row now! I was literally one turn away from beating MacKenzie the third time, and I just barely lost. I really enjoy this game, but it can be quite mind-numbing sometimes when you're trying to plan your overall engine, your card hand size and natives in the expedition, and finally each individual action on a turn by turn basis.

Solo also creates an extremely tense and fast paced game as you're constantly moving MacKenzie up by one each turn. I have only played one 2 player game so far, and I must admit that I enjoyed that a lot more. It was much more relaxed and I found that playing off the bonuses of the other player's cards rather than the village tokens in solo mode was much more efficient. It helped that we were both newbies at the game and made similarly small strides in our expedition throughout the game as well.

I do enjoy solo mode, but I also wish I could win a game. Either I'm over analyzing it or I just haven't found the right grooves to beat the guy yet. So far what has worked best for me (I say this still without a victory, however) is finding one or two allies to join the expedition very early on and then basing my whole engine off their ability. I agree that the river spaces are usually a breeze to get past, but the mountains are brutal. I almost wish there was some additional mechanism in the solo variant that could potentially hinder MacKenzie in the mountains because I just get so angry when he trots right along and I'm making minimal progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.