Popular Tags: [View All]
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG posted this strategy article on their website:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4742

Excited to hear something about the game! Also, towards the bottom, they make mention that more articles are coming along as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Thanks for posting this I had no idea this was up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
Nice! Thanks for posting this I had no idea this was up.

Sure thing! Now hopefully sometime this summer we'll hear about the first expansion. I'm not sure exactly why, but I have a feeling it's going to be something special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Cartman
Poland
Poznań/Mosina
flag msg tools
mb
You mean like dice in different colors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, please! You shouldn't have said that. Now I won't be able to sleep at night, wondering what colour they will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Cartman
Poland
Poznań/Mosina
flag msg tools
mb
This time I'm being serious (I was always afraid to ask this question aloud): Are your dice rounded like those presented in this article? Mine aren't. Why are they always showing images with rounded dice? Deluxe dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, mine are perfectly square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not much, but I'm glad to see SOMETHING...anything, from FFG. Every day I check this forum and their site just hoping (and not understanding why there isn't) something special.

As far as the dice, that looks like a computer generated picture. Perhaps from when they were proto-typing the game, and didn't actually have physical dice yet.

I play this game weekly, and haven't gotten close to being tired of it yet...but I can't understand why they aren't doing more a bit faster (like with Descent). They really should have had a follow-up supplement in playtest/development before the release of the core game. Then they could have started right in on production for the second quarter if sales warranted it. It didn't even have to be a big box of new miniatures, it could have been individual support units from the base set, of one or two new units sold in a blister, or just a (professionally rendered and play tested)campaign book. Sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
It didn't even have to be a big box of new miniatures, it could have been individual support units from the base set, of one or two new units sold in a blister

I think they might want to avoid this distribution model. Personally I don't mind if they release, say, individual leader blisters "a la" Descent, but it might raise up bad mojo amongst the fans, given the 1st edition history in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
grubman wrote:
It didn't even have to be a big box of new miniatures, it could have been individual support units from the base set, of one or two new units sold in a blister

I think they might want to avoid this distribution model. Personally I don't mind if they release, say, individual leader blisters "a la" Descent, but it might raise up bad mojo amongst the fans, given the 1st edition history in this regard.

Oh, I don't know. I would love to pick up another Roc, and a few other units...but not enough to justify buying an entire 2nd box set. If they sold a blister of 1 unit of, say, 3 flesh rippers or 1 Roc (and deployment card) for the same price as a Descent lieutenant blister, I'd happily pick up the ones I wanted.

I agree that new core armies should be released in one big boxed set...but I don't see a problem with smaller reinforcement packs. For example, wouldn't we all love a new unit type to add to our Uthuk or Daquan army to change the dynamic? The other options are waiting for a huge expansion that doubles the size of existing armies, a big box set that reinforces all the existing armies, or nothing new at all for existing armies (once they are released, that's it).

I see your point, in that we don't want to see the game go the way of traditional miniature games, with individual blisters and unit building, but there is also value in being able to add to your game a little at a time, to keep the game interesting over the long haul, instead of bursts of interest.

MHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you. I just think they might fear the fans reaction to that product type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us that got on this train back in the DoW era
the ghost of BL1 still haunts ninja

BL2 has got off to a positive start but what fans of BL want
(IMO) is additional Fractions. Give us new armies (Undead,Elves)
before starting to put out specialty Units for the Core Game.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Dwarf wrote:
Give us new armies (Undead,Elves)
before starting to put out specialty Units for the Core Game.

I agree. I was just saying they could have followed the Descent model with small expansion/big expansion. If they were worried about investing too much before they saw sales results, a second quarter "small expansion" to bolster the existing armies would have been "easy", especially if it was merely braking down the original models into bite sizes.

I think BL2 is wonderfully playable as is...but even as great as it is now, it's a mere shadow of what it could be with proper development. Perhaps I'm crazy, but in this changing time in the miniature wargame hobby, I see a hybrid like this having the appeal and versatility to become the new face of fantasy miniature wargaming.

That might sound s little extreme...but I'm also a role player. After 35 years in that hobby, I've become rather "burned out". When it comes to fantasy, Descent scratches that itch for me now. I've noticed more and more people on RPG forums making comments like, "I'd like to take a break and play something like Descent for a while", or "Descent fills my RPG needs a lot easier and I don't have to spend all my time in-between games prepping for the next game session".

Once more wargamers take more than a casual look at BL (like I did starting with 1st edition) and realize you can do all the same things with this game you can with a traditional fantasy miniature game, but with less hassle, expense, time investment, and with a concise set of rules that aren't full of holes...many will come aboard.

But first, FFG has to realize this and light a flame under their butts!

Ha ha, I'm starting to feel like I'm on some sort of promotional campaign. Someday BL will be what I'm talking about, and nobody will remember my ranting premonitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fawwaz
Saudi Arabia
Riyadh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a tease, FFG. When I found the article on the website and saw the Battlelore logo, I thought: "Finally! An expansion! Oh wait.. a strategy article ".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hylian_pirate wrote:
What a tease, FFG. When I found the article on the website and saw the Battlelore logo, I thought: "Finally! An expansion! Oh wait.. a strategy article ".

I have the impression that the article is sort of a warm up for things to come (or so I hope).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.