1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Putting a cap on the suspension time. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekletion [+] [View All]
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I am near the stage where I am going to have to nuke my account yet again due to the idiotic exponential banning process this site employs.

The fact that next time I post something like this I'm going to have to sit out on the sidelines for a whole month is utterly ridiculous.

So can we get a cap on suspension length already? I think 3 days is enough.

*Just to be clear I'm talking about for everyone, not just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet somehow I've never managed to be suspended. It's not like I'm biting my lip either. I don't know you from Adam and you might be correct with the post you've linked to, but you don't seem to be abiding by the Community Rules. Those who live by the sword....

Quote:
The Short List

Use common courtesy
Respect others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
The suspension time is fine. Be more respectful of others and it won't be an issue.

The fact that you want the suspension time reduced just goes to show that you plan to continue with your abrasive, disrespectful posts that don't contribute to the community. The site is better off without posts like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Putts wrote:
The suspension time is fine. Be more respectful of others and it won't be an issue.

The fact that you want the suspension time reduced just goes to show that you plan to continue with your abrasive, disrespectful posts that don't contribute to the community. The site is better off without posts like that.

The problem with a suspension system is that on the internet it's a pretty safe bet that SOMEONE will be offended by something...but severity is hard to gauge. Mandatory increases in suspension time might not always be appropriate.

But let's look at "respectful behavior". I don't know Frank, never interacted with him. But I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that there are people on this site that follow him around and flag EVERY POST he makes because his filters are a lot different than theirs and he's rubbed them the wrong way at some point.

Is that courtesy or respect? Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Gosh I think the fact that he isn't attacking anyone specific makes it outrageous that he was suspended for that post in the first place.

I mean for crying out loud how much are we going to be obligated to hug each other regardless of our merits or conduct? This is just sanctioning the conduct of the stupid and base at the expense of users who can rub two brain cells together and come up with an original thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
louper wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
The problem with a suspension system is that on the internet it's a pretty safe bet that SOMEONE will be offended by something...but severity is hard to gauge. Mandatory increases in suspension time might not always be appropriate.

Since severity is hard to gauge, mandatory suspension times are the only thing that make sense. Otherwise, someone has to decide for each case how long the user should be suspended for, but as you've already noted, severity is hard to gauge and very subjective.

God forbid a moderator have to do some work to make good decisions, justify those decisions to the user base, and have accountability for their actions.

My confidence in this system keeps getting lower and lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
...at the expense of users who can rub two brain cells together and come up with an original thought.
He was suspended for original thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
But I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that there are people on this site that follow him around and flag EVERY POST he makes because his filters are a lot different than theirs and he's rubbed them the wrong way at some point.

Really? I can theoretically imagine someone stalking a user and flagging EVERY POST they make, but the idea of someone really doing it seems kind of unlikely to me, especially since an admin would surely notice the frivolous flagging behavior when the admin kept processing all the flagged posts and seeing who flagged them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:

The abrasive level of the post seemed okay to me. It was direct, with emotion. I don't think there was anything in that post that needed to be moderated.

I think the community is perfectly okay with comments like that, and would hate to censure so quickly, for infractions so non-existent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, I think everyone's blood pressure - yours included - would benefit greatly if you took a deep breath and counted to ten before pressing the Post button.

While the post you linked to didn't really seem like something you would be banned for, it did use a tone that I wouldn't want to see too often here at BGG; I get enough of that elsewhere. I suspect this was the reason a number of fellow geeks decided to click on the red 'X'.

Tl;dr: If you get banned for many small offences, then you are doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
holgerd wrote:

Tl;dr: If you get banned for many small offences, then you are doing something wrong.

But by whose standards?

This is the second post I've read this morning alluding to a desire the BGG be a certain kind of bubble from the rest of the world, for a certain kind of user.

I find that idea very disheartening. And kind of elitist. And very boring. But I'm sure the certain kind of users will enjoy this certain kind of bubble very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly he is the victim. Otherwise he would have to take responsibilty for his actions and quit creating new accounts. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ethics of creating additional accounts to avoid penalties aside, why would making a new one mean you have to delete your current account? If all your uploaded content gets deleted along with it (which we are beating to death in this thread), it will only put holes in the site. Leave your account there. You'll probably thank yourself at some point when you need to go back and look something up...and it's still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
apotheos wrote:
I find that idea very disheartening. And kind of elitist. And very boring. But I'm sure the certain kind of users will enjoy this certain kind of bubble very much.

Cool. I like to call the bubble 'the asshole free zone'. Don't be too disheartened though, you have the entire rest of the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed the thread and was not able to find the glaringly offensive post that earned the warning/penalty. Can someone spoiler text it for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta admit, compared to many of Skeletor's posts where he uses inappropriate language, directly attacks people, calls people names, uses borderline harassment, this was a pretty mild post.

I think that wanting the rule changed because you can't be courteous to others is a poor reason. I also think that making other accounts to get around the rules, is also poor behavior.

The site has rules, follow them, you'll have far less problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hivemind wrote:
apotheos wrote:

Cool. I like to call the bubble 'the asshole free zone'. Don't be too disheartened though, you have the entire rest of the internet.

I like how in a discussion where you are defending the "being nice to each other" ruling you can call me an asshole and get a thumbs up for it.

Keep it classy, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
apotheos wrote:
Hivemind wrote:
apotheos wrote:

I like how in a discussion where you are defending the "being nice to each other" ruling you can call me an asshole and get a thumbs up for it.

Keep it classy, folks.

He didn’t, not even implicitly.

You complained about a bubble; he said the bubble was to keep out assholes. Where do you feel you have been brought into his statement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Keep it classy, folks.

laugh

I thought he was employing that epithet with reference to Mr Skeletor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I am near the stage where I am going to have to nuke my account yet again due to the idiotic exponential banning process this site employs.

Stop getting banned already. FWIW, the post you cite seems harmless. Maybe the admins' "ban" button grows exponentially for users with a record.

At any rate, why would you have to delete everything again to make a new account? That choice is on you, not some process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The fact that next time I post something like this I'm going to have to sit out on the sidelines for a whole month is utterly ridiculous.

So can we get a cap on suspension length already? I think 3 days is enough.

The things that aggravates me the most is that you are supposed to remove or edit your content, but while you're suspended, you can't, because your posting privileges have been revoked.

After being a member for 8 years on the 'geek I've suddenly found that I get banned left and right from the Netrunner forums specifically. I really think someone has a beef with me, it feels that way. But that aside: when I'm not allowed to edit my own content, I really can't take down my suspension-worthy posts, so they're out there for the whole world to get a sandy va jay jay about, while I'm on the countdown before I can remove the offensive content. All the while my bad posts spur more anger on the geek. It's so silly and I really hope I'm missing something here. 'cause I don't see the point in freezing offensive content while the offender waits to come back.

I will have to accept that enough people don't appreciate my way of communicating, it's a cross I'll have to bear I reckon, but taking me out of the loop and leaving my offensive content in, is counter-productive to why I'm getting banned in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hivemind wrote:
apotheos wrote:

That has to be some sort of delusional joke, right?

The game on BGG is "how to be an asshole in a passive aggressive sense without getting banned and without fear of direct retribution."

If you for one second truly think that BGG is an asshole free zone, well...I really don't know how to help you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

The game on BGG is "how to be an asshole in a passive aggressive sense without getting banned and without fear of direct retribution."

And there is no excuse for playing poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Without some standard of acceptable conduct, this site sinks into the morass of the rest of the Internet. I strongly support exponential bans for anyone who has two or more typos in a post's opening sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.