Subject: The Broken Token Game Organisers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Brown

Preston
Lancashire
msg tools
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/game-organizers/

Has anyone seen anywhere in the UK selling these, or an equivalent item? Or has anyone bought some from the supplier? If so did you have to pay import duty on them? They look really good, but buying from the US can sometimes have hidden costs.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I,m very tempted by several of their products. But the shipping costs, plus the likelihood of import duties & VAT scares me away from buying - that, and the fact that I know I *could* make something almost as good with a few hours of work on the garage. I suspect that the best solution is for Broken Token to licence the UK/EU production rights to someone with access to an industrial laser cutter, provide their UK partner with the electronic files, and have it all produced locally. Saves on shipping in spades. Probably won't happen, but I expect such arrangements will be commonplace in 5-10 years, when we have more widespread access to thinks like 3D printers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stokes
England
Basingstoke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look here: http://boardgamegeek.com/listitem/3128533?commentid=4505592#...

I know its not the same but it works really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
Select a state/province (U.S. and Canada only)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I,m very tempted by several of their products. But the shipping costs, plus the likelihood of import duties & VAT scares me away from buying - that, and the fact that I know I *could* make something almost as good with a few hours of work on the garage. I suspect that the best solution is for Broken Token to licence the UK/EU production rights to someone with access to an industrial laser cutter, provide their UK partner with the electronic files, and have it all produced locally. Saves on shipping in spades. Probably won't happen, but I expect such arrangements will be commonplace in 5-10 years, when we have more widespread access to thinks like 3D printers.

I've also been tempted, but although the product costs are great, the shipping + expected customs charges make them more than I'll pay to pimp out a game. I wish a UK company would come out and do similar items but I doubt the smaller UK market would make it viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The smaller market would make it hard to cover costs like R&D - which is what would make sharing the CAD files worthwhile. We can't afford to place an order with Broken Token, but I'd happily pay Broken Token a few dollars for use of the file to get the dividers made locally.

Sadly the last time I had anything made on a laser cutter the setup charges were so high as to make the exercise unprofitable. Hence needing someone who is already set up to produce such items. The companies exist in the UK, serving wargamers and railway modellers - such as 4Ground, www.timbertracks.co.uk and wargamesbuildings.co.uk. I wonder if they would undertake the cutting if they had access to the original digital files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there someone in the UK who was doing something like this? I have a vague memory of a Kickstarter campaign a year or two back from someone based in ?Portsmouth/Southampton?

On the other hand, old age memory ........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, where do you get decent ply for only £3 a sheet?!

Or perhaps a better question - how big are those sheets? For £3, I'd basically expect A4 size... if that's the case you're gping to need a lot more than one for a game box insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stokes
England
Basingstoke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats why foam core is better, cheaper and lighter than ply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

Buy 8' by 4' sheets from the timber yard and cut them down to whatever the laser cutter takes. Baltic birch is going to be MUCH better than general exterior plywood. 3 or 4mm thick should cost about £25 for a sheet. 5' by 5' sheets are usually even cheaper (must be some weird continental thing; the stuff's very popular in north east Europe, and that's a size that they like buying it in).

If you're buying 8' by 4' sheets for only £3 a pop I don't want to think where they've come from (or what they're made of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Bichatse wrote:

Baltic birch is going to be MUCH better than general exterior plywood.

I would have thought birch ply would be a minimum, but apparently there's actually another (even more expensive, naturally) plywood specifically manufactured for laser use, which IIRC is birch ply that's been glued together with a particular kind of glue that plays well with laser-cutting.

But yeah, when I hear "sheet of ply" I think of 8x4', and £3 for that, even at 3mm I would expect to be the shoddiest, softest splintery crap ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish that there was one within 20 miles of me; but the nearest looks to be 100 miles away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that that's pretty impressive for £6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Out of interest, is there any purpose to the quarter-circles taken out of the dividers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the 'crenellations' along the top fully cut trough the depth of the material or are they just - what's the word? - partial thickness channels? I would be concerned about them snapping if they were cut through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Are the 'crenellations' along the top fully cut trough the depth of the material or are they just - what's the word? - partial thickness channels? I would be concerned about them snapping if they were cut through.

If you look at the sides, it's apparent that they go all the way through. I imagine that while engraving on a laser cutter is relatively easy, ablating away material to a very specific depth in something as variable in density as plywood is probably pretty much impossible with the present state of the technology!

Nevertheless, the whole point of plywood is that it retains strength in thin sections because the grain of the various plys of wood is arranged at right angles to give it strength in both directions. Those crenelations look around 3mmx12mm, at a guess, which should be fine so long as excessive force isn't applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My ears are burning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And so they should - what a gap in the market you've left behind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McKane
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MrAParka wrote:
I based the design on all the current insert designs on the market. I've got a couple of Mr Craft inserts but I wanted the cards to sit in upright.

The crescent cut out is purely there to make it easier to remove a bunch of cards in one go.

The cut outs for the 'teeth' parts are the whole way through, and the dividers 'arms' are the thickness of the ply. They probably would be a bit brittle with heavy use. Although you could probably space the cuts more if you thought it would be an issue.

You can engrave away at the wood but its hit an miss about the depth, probably not enough to wear away for a divider to fit neatly into.

I am toying with the idea of a netrunner board design. Same as the playmats with the design arranged but where the card sits, etch away a groove for the card to sit into. Could then hinge it for easy storage.

DO you mind sharing what software you used to create the design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just a heads up, Philibert is The Broken Token's French "supplier", and has most of their products in stock right now - organisers, etc. (No DnDeeples currently).

http://www.philibertnet.com/en/

Much more agreeable shipping costs (€8) to the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merde! C'est en Français!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Merde! C'est en Français!

Click the little Union Flag in the top right corner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zut alors! Merci beaucoup, mon ami.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found your thread. I am one of the designers for The Broken Token. If you do end up getting any of the products I would love to get feed back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
treebeardtheent wrote:
I just found your thread. I am one of the designers for The Broken Token. If you do end up getting any of the products I would love to get feed back.

I've ordered a Suburbia box organiser from Philibert. Will give you feedback once it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were working with the tolerances on that one. We have widened them since, so you will need a rubber mallet to get it together. When inserting the bottom of the tile tray make sure it is facing the right way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.