Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dianna
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are planning on playing this game two players today. We're pretty familiar with Here I Stand, which should help. However, I'm a bit concerned as the future England-Protestant player (who may be doomed) - is there any restriction on France/Spain marrying off their royals to each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parelle wrote:
My husband and I are planning on playing this game two players today. We're pretty familiar with Here I Stand, which should help. However, I'm a bit concerned as the future England-Protestant player (who may be doomed) - is there any restriction on France/Spain marrying off their royals to each other?

Absolutely no restriction at all! (In fact, two of the them effectively start betrothed at the beginning of the campaign game).

You can even mary your own royals together as long as it's not two Valois royals (even royalty frowned on incest). The only difference there is that you only get to count one of the royals bonuses to the die roll -- no both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
The only difference there is that you only get to count one of the royals bonuses to the die roll -- no both.

But what if you are controlling two powers and you marry between England and Protestant for example. Is it handled like they are same side (only higher bonus) or as it was two players playing each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
mkiefte wrote:
The only difference there is that you only get to count one of the royals bonuses to the die roll -- no both.

But what if you are controlling two powers and you marry between England and Protestant for example. Is it handled like they are same side (only higher bonus) or as it was two players playing each?

The only restrictions when you're playing two powers are that you can't pirate yourself, declare war on yourself, or trade cards or mercs between yourself. Everything else is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianna
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I have to admit, I find it funny you can't marry Haspburgs together... since that's what they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
parelle wrote:
I have to admit, I find it funny you can't marry Haspburgs together... since that's what they did.

Why can't you...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Michael just said there are no restrictions on marrying (except for on Valois royals).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 9.1, p.12. Includes Valois and Hapsburgs.

Leave your sister alone, you naughty boy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright then. Shame on me for not checking the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:

The only restrictions when you're playing two powers are that you can't pirate yourself, declare war on yourself, or trade cards or mercs between yourself. Everything else is fine.

I know that it is legal, and I guess you mean that it works the same as if it were two.

But there is a different between it being legal and whether you handle it like same power or not. That is would you add both eligible royals rating or just the higher one? Not that it matters to me at the moment (I've only recently started playing this online and that is a 6 player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
mkiefte wrote:

I know that it is legal, and I guess you mean that it works the same as if it were two.

But there is a different between it being legal and whether you handle it like same power or not. That is would you add both eligible royals rating or just the higher one? Not that it matters to me at the moment (I've only recently started playing this online and that is a 6 player).

In all cases except where prohibited, you play them just as you would with two different players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hapburg's cousins were commonly married, brothers and sisters were not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuusI wrote:
Hapburg's cousins were commonly married, brothers and sisters were not.

Leading to this well known masterpiece

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.