Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a football game that has an 'area control' aspect to it.

In other words, I'm looking for a football game where the placement of the figures on the fields actually affects the outcome of the game.

So far, none of the football games I've looked at actually do anything more than move the ball by itself across the field?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you mean American Football, Statis Pro Football has a little of that. You can shift your players into different zones. I believe the horrendously received Scrimmage does it. Go too far in that direction and it becomes tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another off-the-beaten-track idea is Scoozie, which is in some ways an abstract but also feels a lot like American football.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Linebacker Football if you can find it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere back here ...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13776082

there was an interesting board concept.

But I don't think anyone has broken it down further as far as rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seems like a tough design to make work.

StreetSoccer is a fantastic example of doing what you want with soccer, but that sport seems easier to abstract at a player level. With American football it's more challenging: individual plays getting called for small gains, with constant player position resets; how to implement defensive rules for passing/running/tackling; building in risk vs reward and the potential for big plays; the guessing/counter-guessing when calling plays; the high pressure, time-based nature of the game. (Abstracting American football at a higher level just seems more natural because of the way coaches and coordinators call plays.)

Could be a fun design challenge, though. I bet that with a bit of effort someone could hammer out a "backyard football" kind of game that would be really entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tempted to try improving Scrimmage for years, but who has the time and resources?

The last time I looked at a computer or console game there were just a few players you could focus on to influence a play after it was in motion. Micromanaging every lineman would likely need a 3-ring binder rulebook like Advanced Squad Leader.

But it is a fun dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again assuming American Football:

1st & Goal is supposed to be excellent.

Pizza Box Football is another game I've heard good things about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy 1st and Goal despite some shortcomings, but there is definitely no area control or player placement aspects in that game. It's all about out guessing your opponent and moving the ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will echo Statis Pro Football. It's great solitaire or head-to-head. I play a ton of it. It gives you a defensive and offensive "field" where you can move players to different zones. This greatly effects the outcome of plays, especially running plays. Great little game. They stopped making cards for it in 1991, but there's a community that makes updated cards. Also, Tabletop football game from ABC game has an updated version of the game with 2012 and 2013 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtCrazy wrote:
Also, Tabletop football game from ABC game has an updated version of the game with 2012 and 2013 cards.

I can't seem to find this. Do you have a link?

There is no ABC game (http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&object...) and Tabletop football is made by Totee (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15562/official-tabletop-f...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Another off-the-beaten-track idea is Scoozie, which is in some ways an abstract but also feels a lot like American football.

Thanks for all the suggestions! They were all interesting and fun to research!

The one that came the closest to what I was thinking was Scoozie, but the rules don't seem to be available and according to the forum it may in fact have been 'solved'!

But this is definitely the direction I'm wanting to go.

I still haven't been able to find a copy of the Statis Pro Football rules however.

So maybe I should look at an 'area-control/checkers/chess' like game that I could adapt to football?

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link to ABCgame. You can see some of the player cards and get a feel for them there. I own all the years of Statis Pro so feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about this game.

https://www.abcgame.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
cauldronofevil wrote:
The one that came the closest to what I was thinking was Scoozie, but the rules don't seem to be available and according to the forum it may in fact have been 'solved'!

For some reason, the writer assumes that setup is variable, but I believe that it's fixed, in a way not consistent with the suggested strategy. Having said that, the game is definitely solvable; I'm just far from convinced that it has been solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes; most luck free 2-player perfect information games are solvable in theory. But this includes Chess and Go. Most people don't stop playing those games just because an infinitely powerful computer could find the optimal strategy (I'm sure it bugs some people.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. There isn't a field, per se, but you lay out a bunch of cards every round that represent stadiums where you can assign your players to play at. You fight over the ball, but it also has a sense of area control with trying to have more strength there than your opponent(s). Not football in the traditional sense, but otherwise I think you should check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the ones I've found that come closest to what I'm looking for (players on the field) are these:

All-Pro Football
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10354/all-pro-football

Scoozie
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11459/scoozie

Touchdown: The American Football Game
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7592/touchdown-the-americ...

NFL Play Action
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70874/nfl-play-action

No 'winner' yet. Still going through BBG's list and trying to track down some obscure rules...but I'd love to hear about anything close to these styles...

thanks for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Ocean
msg tools
cauldronofevil wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions! They were all interesting and fun to research!

But this is definitely the direction I'm wanting to go.

I still haven't been able to find a copy of the Statis Pro Football rules however.

So maybe I should look at an 'area-control/checkers/chess' like game that I could adapt to football?

Any ideas?

You can find Statis Pro Football rules at http://www.sycarion.com/statis-pro-football/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. There isn't a field, per se, but you lay out a bunch of cards every round that represent stadiums where you can assign your players to play at. You fight over the ball, but it also has a sense of area control with trying to have more strength there than your opponent(s). Not football in the traditional sense, but otherwise I think you should check it out.

Neither is plain old Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook, but it does kind of fit with requirments (well except minatures but area position and so on is part of it), but placement and movement of players do affect the outcome of the game. I am quite sure it is not what the OP is after but it should be mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Garlington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
I'm looking for a football game that has an 'area control' aspect to it.

In other words, I'm looking for a football game where the placement of the figures on the fields actually affects the outcome of the game.

So far, none of the football games I've looked at actually do anything more than move the ball by itself across the field?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Something a little more hands on would be Electric Football but as far as a simulation you would be playing something that is more liked as eye candy than anything serious.

As far as sports games with an area control feel, Hockey Blast and Soccer Blast seem to have a very close feel to watching the puck or ball moved around the play area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Neither is plain old Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook, but it does kind of fit with requirments (well except minatures but area position and so on is part of it), but placement and movement of players do affect the outcome of the game. I am quite sure it is not what the OP is after but it should be mentioned.

Yeah, people keep pointing me to Blood Bowl and miniatures are fine - I guess ultimately by 'area control' I DO mean with miniatures, meaning every figure is represented on the field in some way.

I haven't been able to take a look at the Blood Bowl rules yet to see if it would be worth taking all of the fantasy out of it (and presumably some of the violence!). There seem to be a LOT of different versions which is kind of confusing.

PS: I did finally get (what I think) is a copy of the Statis Pro Football rules. Tabletop Football Game? Is that the same thing?

PPS: I've seen some great Soccer and Hockey games that do exactly what I'm looking for. I'm surprised they seem so rare for football!

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've searched BGG for "football" and "touchdown" and looked at every single game I found.

Only the four above came close to what I'm looking for!

Any other keywords I should search for to see if I can find a good football/miniatures game?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! I forgot to search for "NFL"! I'll see if these games have anything to offer.

I thought about what type of game I'm looking for and I realized that a better description is:

I'm looking for 'Formula D' for football!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since American football is, in a broad context, a depiction of war (coaches being your generals, having defensive lines and trying to breach it)... you could probably just convert something like Memoir 44 into a football game with a little effort.

But BloodBowl Team Manager is a fantastic area control game. Great mix of hand management and decision making. Basically, you commit players to a field, and each side of the field has a certain benefit or resource you gain, plus there's a benefit to the winner of that field. There are fouls and other things that can add some unpredictability to the face value of the cards.

Of course, it's not real football, so if you're wanting to select plays and all that, it's not in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Ah! I forgot to search for "NFL"! I'll see if these games have anything to offer.

I thought about what type of game I'm looking for and I realized that a better description is:

I'm looking for 'Formula D' for football!

How would that work? You move every single player on every play? That would be tedious and verrry long. Plus, how would you handle the simultaneity of it? In Formula D, you have only one car.

I mentioned Scrimmage above, and I believe it tried to do what you want (albeit hex and counter, not area movement), but was by most accounts terrible. Also, the games you linked to above that you thought looked good have lousy ratings.

Others have mentioned Blood Bowl. I don't know anything about that, but maybe the idea is that to produce this sort of thing, you need to drift away from any sense of realism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.