Subject: Best ID / Archetype to deal with Replicating Perfection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Ruman
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
After playing it 1/2 a dozen times in the last month, I can be sure that this is my least favourite Corp to run against by far (far, far). Cursing and kicking over bonsai trees was cathartic for awhile, but time I started dealing with it. What does everyone think is the best ID and deck-type to deal with the Jinteki:RP deck currently popular in the (at least my local one) meta -- horizontal remotes, damaging ice all over centrals, sundews, ruhr valley, etc. ?

Two have come to mind --
1) medium-big rig Kate who can run central servers efficiently to cut the tax as well as recurse lost cards (and yup, net shield)
2) Whizzard with parasite recursion (Noise won't help because archives will be iced up anyway by Jinteki:RP) to get rid of the (generally) weak central ice and cut tax that way.

I'm sure there's better options though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
A dedicated Katman deck does pretty well. I'll be posting up mine on Stimhack sometime next week.

Really any deck that focuses on efficiency will work fairly well.

Or Parasite Gabe. Always Parasite Gabe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartthrob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
We have two Noise decks that have no problem against our RP builds. Our Noise builds consistently put on the beat down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b b
msg tools
As an RP player, Noise and Whizzard are the IDs I fear. Noise because he randomly mills important cards (and RP is a fine dance with not a lot of leeway), and Whizzard because he makes short work of my long tail of mostly iceless remotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Whizzard beats the shit out of the deck. It can't get any kind of foothold since you are spending next to nothing to trash things. Ice needs to go everywhere for the deck to have a shot at stabilizing and building up for the mid-game. It's really terrifying.

The build I have loses to Katman once an R&D Interface hits the table. The one thing the deck has going for it before the Katman end-game is the fact that it's sucking money away through asset/upgrade trashing early in the game.

Emergency Shutdown is a good tool.

ALWAYS TRASH RUHR VALLEY. EVEN IF IT'S REZZED AND THERE'S NOTHING ELSE IN THE SERVER, IF YOU CAN GET IT, GET IT GONE. So many players just don't while I sit and draw and they pitifully play the lottery in my centrals. Ruhr Valley + Nisei MK II just locks you out unless you're running Doppelganger/All Nighter and dedicating your entire turn or running Quest Complete. Corp's not going to burn a Nisei token just to protect Ruhr unless they're absolutely sure they can score something in the next two turns without it, which should be a very rare occurrence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Cavalier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time RP player I'll throw my hands up and walk away to a Whizzard deck that throws down doppelganger first turn ...

That being said, if you're bringing Whizzard Doppelganger to competitive play, you're a braver man than I ... and I'm the one bringing an RP deck pre-honor and profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
The Professor whistle

Ok, this time I'm trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Murray
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a Kit paintbrush/yog0saurus deck last night for fun and ran against an RP deck using Caprice to defend.

I ended up winning. However, I don't think that would usually be the case. The RP player never iced up archives and only had Tsuguri/Eli 1.0 on RD & HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just floored that you're having a problem beating RP. R&D lock crushes them and HQ lock is almost as bad. I don't think it's a specific ID, more so a change in the way you would approach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
DJhedgehog wrote:
I'm just floored that you're having a problem beating RP. R&D lock crushes them and HQ lock is almost as bad. I don't think it's a specific ID, more so a change in the way you would approach the game.

Having Caprice in-faction pretty much shuts down any "lock this server" strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
Doppleganger seems like a direct counter, but it's also rarely what you want in any other matchup (unless you're running some Notoriety/Quest Complete Johnny hijinks).

Really, anything that leverages click efficiency is going to help out a lot here. Efficient breakers (Yog, Atman, or dare I say it, Morning Star). Magnum Opus so you can pile credits one turn and then spend a whole turn running. Dirty Laundry to get a refund on your central run before moving to the remotes. As with most of life's (read: A:NR's) problems, Desperado and Datasucker are remarkably helpful as well.

Also, don't be afraid of unsuccessful runs. Yes, it sucks spending three credits using your Mimic on a Tsurugi just to ETR, but if you need to get in a remote this turn and don't want to bankrupt yourself for next turn, it's better than paying 4 for the Tsurugi and 4 for the Eli behind it just to peek at a single card in R&D or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've had good success with RP, but the thing I fear most (other than Whizzard, which as always randomly hoses asset-based decks while losing horribly to operations-based decks) is efficient economy. And Mimic. Mimic sucks big time. The last game I played with it, my opponent had 2 Datasuckers, a Desperado, and a Mimic out by turn 3. That... didn't go well.

Opus beats me in the very long game but it's possible for me to beat it with a good draw. I'd say a turn one Opus is ~60% to beat RP if piloted by a player of roughly similar skill level, but that goes way down if the player doesn't know how to use it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
PaulThomas wrote:
I've had good success with RP, but the thing I fear most (other than Whizzard, which as always randomly hoses asset-based decks while losing horribly to operations-based decks) is efficient economy. And Mimic. Mimic sucks big time. The last game I played with it, my opponent had 2 Datasuckers, a Desperado, and a Mimic out by turn 3. That... didn't go well.

Opus beats me in the very long game but it's possible for me to beat it with a good draw. I'd say a turn one Opus is ~60% to beat RP if piloted by a player of roughly similar skill level, but that goes way down if the player doesn't know how to use it properly.

This is why I avoided sentries almost wholly with my RP deck. I stuck with Hunter and Grim, and I've got a copy of Cyberdex Trial for the lulz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ruman
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, this is what I've seen as well. Caprice means you'll run 2-3 times on average against R & D and when they see Kate it'll usually be iced up heavy by the time you get you R & D Interfaces and Maker's eye in hand. And at least my deck as trouble generating creds for multiple 7+ cred runs in a turn. Plus, accessing multiples out of R & D against Jenteki is a scary thing so you're in the 2-3 card access range (after spending clicks to draw-up). Not saying R & D lock isn't the way to go, but it's now a lot tougher than it was. Have a nerve agent to try to pull some ice over to HQ but doesn't seem to distract much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played RP quite a lot I have made this observation: It's not so much the ICE that wins RP games, but the THREAT of ice. Often I'll be winning as RP, and it look like I have tons of money and ICE everywhere and a remote that's 3 deep and an ICE rezzed on each central... BUT LOOK CLOSELY. All the ICE are dirt cheap, RP is always on the verge of being bankrupt, and that 3-deep remote IS UNREZZED because the runner is too afraid to bounce off a central and run the remote, and that's often how RP wins - by pretending that they can defend that remote.

Sometimes that 3-deep is a grim, an Ichi 1 and an Archer. But often it's not.

Don't be scared, make them spend their money! And always trash Sundew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Higgs Brozo
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Chrohno wrote:
I was playing a Kit paintbrush/yog0saurus deck last night for fun and ran against an RP deck using Caprice to defend.

I ended up winning. However, I don't think that would usually be the case. The RP player never iced up archives and only had Tsuguri/Eli 1.0 on RD & HQ.

Jinteki: RP is, like, the worst matchup for Paintbrush Kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiggsBrozo wrote:
Chrohno wrote:

Jinteki: RP is, like, the worst matchup for Paintbrush Kit.

Worst? I guess it depends on the draw, I ran RP yesterday against paintbrush kit and got annihilated. Icing up everything double takes a shitload of time, then having everything easily walked through still is painful. Oh yes and Kit stealing that damn Clone Retirement while setup was still happening pretty much made her Torch free to run. Then out came Omega.

I was surprised, but can't blame everything on bad draws :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My RP deck suffers most from recursed parasites I think. I have 17 ice, 9 heavy and 8 light, so if 3 or 4 of them get nixed then that can really mess the game plan. Central Runs have to cost 4-8 credits for my RP to work. Imps trashing my heavy assets (pad, private contracts) also hurts if they keep recurring the imps.

Funnily enough, I don't mind too much about siphons, I can recover fairly quickly from them and if they spend the money trashing assets then it means they haven't been accessing cards or building a rig so they have nothing in place for the mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
DJhedgehog wrote:

Having Caprice in-faction pretty much shuts down any "lock this server" strategy.

Even before Caprice Nisei existed, I top-4'd 3 Store Championships with an RP deck (though not the untrashable variant the OP is talking about). R&D lock is a problem for every corp, and that's why the damaging/taxing ICE goes on R&D .

Let's just say the real problem I had pre-caprice was not easy R&D lock. It was consistent runner money and patience before I could get to match point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Higgs Brozo
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Tuism wrote:
Worst? I guess it depends on the draw, I ran RP yesterday against paintbrush kit and got annihilated. Icing up everything double takes a shitload of time, then having everything easily walked through still is painful. Oh yes and Kit stealing that damn Clone Retirement while setup was still happening pretty much made her Torch free to run. Then out came Omega.

I was surprised, but can't blame everything on bad draws :/

The click pressure just really hurts your economy. I couldn't afford to trash Sundew and Jackson, let alone steal NAPD Contract, so he kept recurring and paying for Snare!, and I got punched in the face by unrezzed Tsurugi.

Now, part of this was deck construction. I was running not-Parasite instead of Parasite, which I think was a mistake. If I'd been able to destroy ICE on centrals, it might have gone a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
Gabe is the ID that hurts my RP the most. It's just tough to deal with all that central pressure and early money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Pijas
msg tools
mb
Funny thing, i am playing rp for like a year, and from worst id (according to bgg opinions) it becomes "omg how to deal with it?"
The hardest thing has been really aggresive cryminal + bad start, and noise. Nothing changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.