Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the first things I noticed coming into ANR was that the Core set, and subsequent Data Packs do not contain any holo cards. (If you're not familiar, holo or holofoil cards are cards with a shiny background that looks cool). Are any of the promo cards holo?

Now, with the structure of ANR, where expansions are not randomized, but fixed, making some cards holo would not add a rarity element, or at least it wouldn't have to.

I also want to ask, how would you feel about future data packs including 1 or more (some fixed number) of holo cards? (Perhaps holo ID's) or perhaps 3 different cards out of the 20 to be holo (each of the 3 copies of those cards)?
Would you like this, dislike it, not care?

Personally, I think it would add a nice extra flavor to the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

I would agree with that sentiment.

Mostly.

Although I always enjoyed being "that guy" that not only had the $500 deck minimum to do well at Magic tournaments.. but to have it all foiled....

I wouldn't be opposed to foil cards in game night kits to be honest. But ANYTHING blind buy in their basic card sets is bullshit. It's breaks their system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see not minding this for one of the alt-art cards, but I don't think holos are really FFGs style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Any reason why?

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to foil cards in game night kits to be honest. But ANYTHING blind buy in their basic card sets is bullshit. It's breaks their system.

The holo cards would be predetermined, nothing would be blind or randomized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a CCG. Cards should not have rarity. (outside of the core set singletons I guess)

edit: Also, I hate holo cards, they distract me, and are harder for me to read. If they ever wanted to make them an alt-art for a game knight kit? Sure, but I don't want them for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foil cards are crap, they don't look better or awesome, they look worse and are harder to read. I'm glad that FFG keeps this junk out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Foil cards are crap, they don't look better or awesome, they look worse and are harder to read. I'm glad that FFG keeps this junk out of the game.

QFT.

The foil cards have a tendency to warp terribly, very quickly. In a game where the cards won't be cycled, it doesn't make sense to include cards that aren't made to stand the test of time.

I wouldn't be mad if they included them, but I'm glad they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

ditto!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

I disagree about holo's making cards harder to read, because this really depends on which part of the card is holo. If its done smart, this shouldn't be a problem.

Taloncarde wrote:
This is not a CCG. Cards should not have rarity. (outside of the core set singletons I guess)

I feel like you're misunderstanding. Holo does not equal rarity. Rarity of cards in any CCG is based on ratios of that card in a given set, and in ANR, ratios of all cards is 100% or 1:1. There is no chance of not getting a card that comes in any given data pack.

Quote:
edit: Also, I hate holo cards, they distract me, and are harder for me to read. If they ever wanted to make them an alt-art for a game knight kit? Sure, but I don't want them for myself.

This is a fair point.

I feel like when a lot of the members here hear "holo," they automatically assume that this means "Magic the Gathering's definition of holo," when there's no logical reason to assume that that would be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
the plastic identities given at regionals are basically foil cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle James
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would lean towards no, I think their alternate art promos are enough.

If we could get the price down, and they could make each card have an individual display which would display animated art would be pretty awesome . And then when you parasite an ice, the art for the ice would change to being infected with the virus, etc!

Someday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played MTG for a long time now, but every time I see foil cards, they look like shrimp.

If this was among top google search results, something has got to be wrong:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
One of the first things I noticed coming into ANR was that the Core set, and subsequent Data Packs do not contain any holo cards. (If you're not familiar, holo or holofoil cards are cards with a shiny background that looks cool). Are any of the promo cards holo?

Now, with the structure of ANR, where expansions are not randomized, but fixed, making some cards holo would not add a rarity element, or at least it wouldn't have to.

I also want to ask, how would you feel about future data packs including 1 or more (some fixed number) of holo cards? (Perhaps holo ID's) or perhaps 3 different cards out of the 20 to be holo (each of the 3 copies of those cards)?
Would you like this, dislike it, not care?

Personally, I think it would add a nice extra flavor to the cards.

I think holo cards look tacky; like something my three year old daughter would dig.

With that said, I wouldn't mind a few of them in the Draft Packs (assuming they are just alternate versions of normal cards). I'd never keep them. I'd just sell them to people who have a greater appreciation for their beauty. It would be a nice way to fund my ANR drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
I haven't played MTG for a long time now, but every time I see foil cards, they look like shrimp.

If this was among top google search results, something has got to be wrong:

See, this is exactly what I said, as soon as someone hears "holofoil," for whatever reason they immediately think MTG, as if other card games don't also have holofoils. Other card games I've played with holos have no problems with "curling" (whatever that means).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
You said you played Yu-gi-oh, while the cards are smaller and less liable to curl, it still happens all the time due to the materials used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
With that said, I wouldn't mind a few of them in the Draft Packs (assuming they are just alternate versions of normal cards). I'd never keep them. I'd just sell them to people who have a greater appreciation for their beauty. It would be a nice way to fund my ANR drafting.

"Hmm, do I draft the San-San City Grid or the foil Freelancer?"

Edit: Plot twist! FFG releases foil versions of wildly popular cards like Salvage, Net Police, and Server Diagnostics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Helms
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
If I recall correctly, the Andromeda/Cerebral Imaging from Regionals is going to be some kind of holofoil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarquelne
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:

Uh, you do understand, don't you, that they're shiny?

SHINY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly prefer their alternate art cards to foil cards. The full bleed cards are gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terrificy wrote:
If I recall correctly, the Andromeda/Cerebral Imaging from Regionals is going to be some kind of holofoil.

Four double-sided, spot-glossed identity cards featuring Andromeda and Cerebral Imaging

The prize splash image makes it look like the plastic IDs from last year, but until someone has one in hand, we can't be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The regional IDs from last year were also "spot-glossed". The background of the card is in a matte finish, while the picture is glossy, making it stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.