Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not a huge fan of deck building games. The only ones I think I've played are Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Eminent Domain.

I far prefer Eminent Domain, probably because it is less of a Deckbuilding game.

There is something about these style of games that I enjoy. I can't quite pinpoint it. But there is something intensely dull about these games for me as well. I'll try to elaborate...

I like the feeling of developing a strategy as you play, refining and enhancing your ability to achieve that strategy and maybe also improvising where necessary. I like when the game has multiple strategies or paths to victory that you can try out. I like the number of choices per turn to be fairly small and easy to see the merits of.

I don't like reading a whole lot of text on cards.
I don't like the concept of purchasing cards with cards in your hand, maybe because it usually doesn't fit thematically.
I don't like when the Deckbuilding mechanic is the whole game. I like to have things you do with that deck.
I don't like the necessity of making sure you shuffle when you are supposed to, draw when you are supposed, ie the rigid phase structures that aren't part of your actual turn but more about bookkeeping.

So my question for you is when is a Deckbuilding game not a Deckbuilding game? Do you have a suggestion for some games I might try to improve my opinion of the genre. At the moment when I hear a game is a Deckbuilding game, I immediately tune out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds: 2-5 players (~90min with 3).

Core Worlds is more than a deckbuilder. It combines the theme with the game mechanisms perfectly. You draft cards into your deck from a common pool, but you also have to use your limited amount of actions and growing amounts of energy (generated by your starting world and the worlds you conquer or using cards in the energy phase) to deploy troops into your warzone before they can attack and conquer the worlds that you come across. So, there is planning and preparation involved, which to me feels very thematic. But you also don't know which worlds and units come up each round (except in the last round), so you have to be flexible.

You have 5 separate decks for the 10 rounds of the game, so there is a sense of progression, and generally you can afford the cards that become available unlike in some other deckbuilder games. The cards are mainly unique. If you play with 3 players, it takes a few games to see all cards, so there is a sense of exploration too. When you're learning, there is a bit of reading each round when new cards come out, but it's not excessive.

One nice feature is that you can keep one card from one round to the next, so if you can't afford to deploy a card, you can save it.

You never have quite enough resources to do everything that you'd like, so you have hard choices to make for the whole game. The last worlds you reach are the Core Worlds that give the most bonus points.

You always have a different game, and minor mistakes do not immediately spiral you into defeat. There is no direct conflict between players, but due to the common pool you have to keep an eye on what the other players are likely to do, and be faster than them.

The expansion Galactic Orders adds more units, worlds, and tactic cards and hard decisions in the form of events, but also ways to work around your energy and action limitations and also helps you cycle through the cards in your deck faster. It also widens the available strategies. It makes a great game even better.

You can start playing the game without emphasizing the deckbuilding aspect, and start to search for synergies and trim your deck more when you learn the game.

A second expansion Revolution is in the works, it will be interesting to see what it brings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Lewis & Clark. You build a hand of cards, and rather than going through the play / draw / shuffle of a regular deckbuilder, you turn over your cards (each of which represents a unique personality) to use their individual effects or to activate the effects on other cards.

It uses a resource management system where you pay for cards with trade goods. When you've used your cards, your expedition makes camp and you flip the cards face-up, making them available again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Deckbuilding game without the Deckbuilding?

Isn't that like asking for a cheeseburger without cheese?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Concordia a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm, maybe give Splendor a try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is a Role Playing Card Game mixed with some simple Deck Building. You make you basic deck and fight through a scenario. You can play solo (against the game) or co-op (again, against the game). You can replace cards from your basic deck with rewards and finding better cards, or trading with the other players at the end of the scenario.

What sets this one apart from the others? Your deck continues to progress in between games, meaning you never start with a basic deck again.

There is some card reading at first, but you quickly get the hang of it. You also roll dice in this game.

The downside is that it takes a bit of time to setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Quote:

True story: Many years ago, Taco Bell didn't have quesadillas on its menu, so my mother had to order bean and cheese burritos without beans to feed my sister, the pickiest eater on planet earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You may or may not like Paperback, which was just released. Instead of buying things from your hand, you spell words to gain new cards (each card is a single letter). I just got my kickstarter copy and haven't played it yet, so I can't vouch for the game personally. But it looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Core Worlds: 2-5 players (~90min with 3).

Core Worlds is more than a deckbuilder.
A second expansion Revolution is in the works, it will be interesting to see what it brings.

link to expansion should be: Core Worlds: Revolution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
link to expansion should be: Core Worlds: Revolution

Thanks. I don't know how could have I made such a mistake..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
GSReis wrote:
Quote:

It's similar. I like the idea of hidden allegiance games but in practice find Werewolf dull.

I like the idea of honing a deck, bending it to your will, but in practice it leaves me disappointed.

So maybe it's just that I haven't found the right deckbuilding game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Good ideas so far. Thanks!

Core Worlds is actually what brought me to post this question. It looks like there is a lot of reading to be done. I'll watch some videos to double check if I think it'll be for me.

Mage Knight Board Game and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set have both long been on my radar. The mechanics of both sound great plus they play solitaire. I am disappointed in the theme of both of them, it just doesn't grab me as much as a superhero, pirates, space or James Bond theme would. Ah well, if I get a chance to try before I buy.

I've got Lewis & Clark on preorder. Glad to hear it recommended in this thread. I had chosen it for its comparisons to Race for the Galaxy. Maybe that is more the sort of card game I prefer. Hand/tableau building rather than deckbuilding....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.