Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is covered else where or in the rules so I apologize ifit is. WWord it brake the game if you used power tokens as a trade good/bartering tool? Kinda of like trade goods in TI3? Maybe a way to pay someoneoff from attacking you or to call/pay for support or maybe to allow some one to pass over land you own. Anyways sound off with your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DHoov wrote:
I'm not sure if this is covered else where or in the rules so I apologize ifit is. WWord it brake the game if you used power tokens as a trade good/bartering tool? Kinda of like trade goods in TI3? Maybe a way to pay someoneoff from attacking you or to call/pay for support or maybe to allow some one to pass over land you own. Anyways sound off with your thoughts.

AGoT Rulebook, page 6:
"A player may only collect, receive, or discard Power tokens bearing the insignia of his own House."

A player may not give Power tokens to another player, as the other player cannot receive Power tokens bearing the insignia of a house other than their own. I would stick with this rule rather than "house-ruling" it, that's my opinion anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right so the player paying a token would discard and the player receiving payment would gain one of his own house tokens. Thus one player spends a token and one player gains a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DHoov wrote:

Check page 24 of the rules - under Alliances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically from Pg 24:

"Alliances
Players are always free (in any phase, at any time) to make
promises and seek alliances with other Houses. Promises and
alliances, however, are never binding and can be broken for any
reason. Even the staunchest ally cannot be 100% sure of the good
intentions of his partners. The Iron Throne, after all, can seat
only one.
There are three strict rules governing what conspiring players
are allowed to do:
- Players may never show other players (in public or secret),
any assigned Order token. Nor may a player show unused
Order tokens to other players during the Planning Phase
(so that others may, by deduction or estimation, know
what the player may have assigned to the game board).
- A player may also never give, donate, bribe, etc. any game
item such as Power tokens, Dominance tokens, Order
tokens, House cards, etc. to another player.
- Bids must always be made in secret. A player may not
show any opponent his bid before revealing it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While all your replies are correct and valid, I don't think the OP is questioning whether or not it's legal according to the game rules (although I could be wrong), but rather, if it's worth trying in a game, or even better, has anyone else tried it and had results for him so he wouldn't waste his time otherwise.

That being said, our group has never played that way, although we have thought about, just never brought ourselves to try it. However, I'd be interested to see how it plays out if your group tries it, I'm always interested in how house rules play out. I would try to keep things in harmony with the theme though, such as accepting a bribe and then refusing to follow through with your end of the deal, I wouldn't make it binding ... it might limit how much it is done as soon as someone gets crossed, but that threat might need to be there. I suppose you could try to make it binding and see how things play out, but it might cause too many long term partnerships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam exactly correct and thank you. I agree in the fact that it should not be binding.I will try it out next time and let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick V
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
One way you could do it with the rules already in the game is if your ally is also your neighbor. You could arrange it so you place a consolidate power token that your ally could then raid. They gain a token, you lose one but it would be a sign of a firm alliance if you're willing to sacrifice a power token and an order to better their situation. Not sure there are a lot of situations this would be worth it, but its something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was simply adding my post to clarify what the rules were, I have no experience with bartering with power tokens, it seems like an interesting mechanic - making for big King Maker games.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Although, it does actually happen in the books with the Tyrells supporting the Lannisters, although that ended badly in the end for Joffrey Baratheon and Cercei Lannister

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.