Subject: Autoduelist paints the Dark Lord's minions *** REVISED *** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's odd playing a game inspired by the artistic vision of Larry Elmore with unpainted minions so I decided to fix it. This wasn't a hero level paint job and my average across all the minions was about an hour a piece which is good because a hero paint job averages about 5-8 hours for me depending on the figure's complexity:

[Image deleted since the original minions are now included in my Minion Upgrade pack photos.]

I got hit hard by the flocking problem with Purity seal. I had to repaint the entire green army and 8 of the blue and red army minions. I was pretty annoyed with the project by the time I reached the black army so I opted to avoid painting the majority of the robes "almost black" (dark charcoal gray) so the folds in the robe stand out. This saved a lot of painting time and kept me within my 1 hour average across all the figures. I experimented with painting the faces white, gray, and wolf gray but ultimately decided the Lord of the Rings Ringwraith look was the best for the model.

The True Blue looks nice in photographs and well-lit rooms; but like the original color it matches, it's tough to tell the difference between the blue and black minions in average or low light conditions based on the robe color. Fortunately the new base colors I selected make the task a lot easier. I wish I'd gone with a blue gray or a lighter shade of blue for the minions to make the folds stand out like the red and green armies in low light conditions.

Overall though, I'm satisfied with the project and the time investment was pretty good spread out over a few weekends and the occasional weeknight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Autoduelist paints the Dark Lord's minions
Argh! I didn't face one of the red minions correctly. Otherwise, you would see a pink face and a shading job similar to the red and blue minions as far as the creases go. Apologies for the oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the thumbs.

I had a chance to play the game yesterday. The last time my friends saw it the heroes were gray minis. They were blown away by the paint jobs and said the minions were most improved. I put my finger on what bothered me about the blue minions. The contrast between the blue and black which shows up fabulously in photos and close up inspection gets lost at the tabletop level. The color I used for the blue figures' bases avoids any confusion at tabletop distance as to what army they belong too.

I'm looking into what I can do to improve the black minions and I'll post some photos if I come up with something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Stuff.

I have had these on my "gotta paint someday" list for well, since the game was released. Other games just come along and bump that project to the bottom of the list.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

You're right about the flood of new games. I'm trying to finish up before Shadows of Brimstone and Cthulhu Wars releases. Defenders always bothered me because it was mostly painted and I'm finally finishing it up. I should have pictures of the new black minis up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buoyed by a thumbs up from the king himself, Richard Launius, I painted the black minions' robes a charcoal gray and added pale yellow faces. I also included a picture of the missing red minion's face from my last photo.

[Image deleted since the original minions are now included in my Minion Upgrade pack photos.]

The black minions look great on the table and the details still there for close-up inspection or photographs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.