Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell a tale of hope,
The story of a dawn drawn near.
Of fiery pits a-quaking,
A Dark Lord's heart in fear...

So the Fellowship of the Ring, after many hardships and toils, was nearing the Fiery mow of Orodruin, and Sauron knew great fear. If he could not manage to grasp Middle Earth this very day, anchoring his might to the world, tomorrow the Winds will surely blow from the West and he will be gone, as if but a smokey figure of shadow.

He was close: the Woodland Realm had fallen, Minas Tirith was no more, and Pelargir, Edoras and Helm's Deep were all conquered. But the Fellowship, driven by the will of the Valar, had moved quickly, and this was not enough. He held much, but most of his forces were dispersed, the remaining resistance strong.

In a last, desperate gamble, the Balrog was called forth from the pits of Moria, and the entire will of the Dark Lord was bent on Mustering what armies he could, thus not recalling the many, many Nazgul that have been previously dispersed by the Eagles.

I'll tell a tale of battle,
The story of high blood spilled.
Of woods of gold a-bearning,
A Lady's light that's stilled....

An army of shadow marched on the almost invincible Lorien: 1 Dunlending Regular, 1 Orcish Regular, 3 Troll Elite units and the Balrog, against
2 Elven archers, 3 Elven Cavalry Elite and the Lady Galadriel.

Lorien's forces retreated within their enchanted forest, ready to waylay the Shadow army. The Balrog commanded his fearful minions to march forward, and battle began.

Durin's Bane was unleashed, cutting down all the Elvish horses [a small revenge for the disbursement of 5 Nazgul in the battle for Helm's Deep].
In the ensuing battle, the forces of Lorien lost but one other unit befor they Retreated, in Orderly fashion, deep within the woods, and while doing so they shot down all the Shadow Army's regulars - Dunlendings and Orcs both.
The Balrog's wrath knew no bounds, and a Troll was sent crashing into the forest, taking much damage but paving the way for the Shadow Army to continue. 4 elven units remained under the command of the Lady, while the Balrog, great and terrible, still commanded 2 healthy Troll units and a weakened elite, no stronger than a regular Orc, and added his personal might to the battle.
Even Galadriel would hesitate before the fiery destructiveness of the Balrog; she prepared a Shield Wall, while he frightened his minions to an Onslaught.
The Shadow attacked, with the Balrog's flaming Sword of Udun blazing, and 3 elven units would have been destroyed; Galadriel was much glad of her Shield Wall as it prevented a kill and she still had two precious elven units remaining. The elven attack killed the weakened Elite and wounded another, leaving the Balrog with one healthy and one wounded Elite.
The Balrog raised his whip, forcing the remaining units to battle; the Onslaught took place, with the Elite Troll unit set ablaze by the whip of the Balrog, running amok and setting the Golden Trees of Lorien blazing.
The forest burned, and the Balrog, with the remains of his tattered armies in toe [but a single wounded Elite] set the Banner of the Eye upon the burnt remains of the Galadhrim's great hall.

Sauron won the day. Middle Earth was his.

[CE, 2nd Edition and LoME. This was a game with many extremely lucky and unlucky rolls: SP lost 5 Nazgul in Helm's Deep, FP had excellent cards - including Wizard's Staff and Axe&Bow and Mithril Coat and Sting - early on, helping rapid movement. The battle for Lorien was, on the other hand, lucky for the SP, and exemplified the power of the Balrog as an army leader: the Shadow Army was able to continue rolling 5 dice and rerolling 3 due to his presence - and Durin's Bane is a killer combat effect].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhardt Schroeder
msg tools
mbmb
It could be flavor text, but it sounds like the FP fought a field battle before retreating into the stronghold. If so, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. The flavor might be obscuring it, but as stated, they retreated into the forest right when the enemy came, and the SP had to expand his last Action Die on making actual contact.
Had SP been unsuccessful, FP would have won the game the moment the new game turn started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhardt Schroeder
msg tools
mbmb
Oh, I see - the reference to "retreat[ing], in orderly fashion, deep within the woods" confused me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh... seems I need to work on my prose.
I'll explain: SP arrived at Lorien, the elves retreated. Later, after the fight began, the card Orderly Retreat was used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.