United States
Montana
flag msg tools
And to think that it wasn't that long ago that we couldn't even make good prosthetic limbs.

http://io9.com/scientists-have-successfully-grown-and-implan...

This is also good news for transsexuals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scientests have successfully grown and implanted fully-functional vaginas in four women
Big deal. RSP has been growing them for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Somewhere out on the web there's an article about a girl with MRKH who got pregnant as a side-effect of a stab would. (Brazilian IIRC, last two years or so)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankenginas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a procedure for women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome, who do have most features of female genitalia, including ovaries and a clitoris. So as of yet its applicability is a bit limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Good work, science.

Yep. Hey, next we work on penis enlargement, fixing male-pattern baldness once and for all and a cure for the plague of people who cannot properly pronounce diphthongs.

We'll get to cancer, cerebral palsy, diabetes and other less important things later but right now there's people out there who are sad because they don't have proper vaginas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Years after the two-hour procedures, annual follow-up visits showed that the surgeries had been a success: The new organs functioned normally, including during sex, and their tissue was indistinguishable from the native tissue that had already been there.

So, was someone watching during sex in the name of science?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Yep. Hey, next we work on penis enlargement, fixing male-pattern baldness once and for all and a cure for the plague of people who cannot properly pronounce diphthongs.

Why are you always putting your own needs first?

DWTripp wrote:
We'll get to cancer, cerebral palsy, diabetes and other less important things later but right now there's people out there who are sad because they don't have proper vaginas.

Yeah, as if nobody was working on these things.

Slacker scientists, get it done already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
Quote:
Years after the two-hour procedures, annual follow-up visits showed that the surgeries had been a success: The new organs functioned normally, including during sex, and their tissue was indistinguishable from the native tissue that had already been there.

So, was someone watching during sex in the name of science?

Ya don't determine if the tissue is indistinguishable by watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

"This is huge news for people with MRKH syndrome and victims of vaginal cancers and injuries."

Fucking whiners with their birth defects and diseases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Good work, science.

Can someone please remind me again why having no moderation in RSP is a good thing?

Yes, I know moderation wouldn't actually work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Good work, science.

You're smart enough to know this already, but...

Just as work on the smallest scale of existence informs how we view cosmological phenomena (and vice versa), work on how one type of organ system develops can provide insight on other systems, since essentially they are different flavors of the the same cells under the control of the same biology. When you ask a biological question, you also ask "what is the most tractable model system to test this?". Rare diseases offer something in the way of low-hanging fruit in this regard, since they are often an exceptional environment (genetic, metabolic, etc) in a sea of "normal".

So, it can seem to a politically-driven lay person that there is an agenda behind this sort of breakthrough, but trust me, the NIH and Big Pharma are not putting out dedicated funds for vaginal transplants. But a boner pill, well...that's just a goldmine. Anyway, the point is that when someone realizes that their research can benefit people (even if it's a small number of people) of course they're going to publicize it. I guarantee that something will be transferable to the study of the regeneration of some other organ system.

Lateral thinking is how we're eventually going to solve problems like diabetes and (perhaps) cancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.