Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wang
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The basic research cost rule reads: Researching a tech spends all of the player's remaining trade. The only exception is for players who possesses coins,each of which saves one trade.

The rule printed on Notre Dame reads: When researching a tech, you may spend 6 extra trades to learn a second tech of the same level or lower.

My question is, is it true that a player with Notre Dame under possession can only use its ability when he or she has six coins or more? Is there an example or answered FAQ regarding this issue?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 6 extra trade spent to buy a second tech happens as part of the research action before you reduce your trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wang
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That makes sense to me. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to dig this old question up, but I've been wondering about this myself and I'd like to just clarify - this means that the tech is 'free' so long as you have the additional trade in the first place, right? As in, if you have 17 trade and 2 coins, and only spaces for Level 2s in the pyramid, whether you got just one tech or two with Notre Dame, you'll end up with 2 trade left?

(Personally I've always thought it'd make more sense for coins to only preserve trade that isn't required for the tech learning anyway - so with 17 trade and 2 coins a Level 2 tech would take you to 2, but a Level 3 would take you to 1 - but still.)

Also, I assume that the Notre Dame tech is learnt strictly after the original tech? That is, you can't use Notre Dame to learn a Level 2 tech which provides space for the Level 3 tech you learnt normally, on the basis of putting them in the pyramid simultaneously or some such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you need 17 trade for a level 1 and 2 tech.
You will go back to 2 trade if you have 2 coins.

You also are wrong on the last assumption. The techs are simultaneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.