Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Design Exercise: Something you dislike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Design Exercise: Something you dislike, could be anything a chore, a food, work, whatever, pick the thing you dislike the most if you could use it as a theme for a game

It's springtime, so I would have to go with Dandelions.



I hate them, they are my Nemesis. Seinfeld had Newman, Kirk had Khan and I hate everything about Dandelions. They can quickly ruin an otherwise great looking front lawn. I don't mind picking a stray weed or two, but these things can take over faster than the Zombie apocalypse if you have neighbor's that never treat their yards.

At any rate, I think a two player dice game or card game would work for this, one player is the gardener/homeowner and the other is controlling the dandelion horde. 20 dandelions and you're out and it's death by the yellow horde
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting premise.

re: Dandelions. I'd actually expand that to Weeds. And since I'm hankering for a game of Pandemic, I'd go make a "Eradicate the Weeds" retheme of Pandemic.


My dislike, on the other hand, are lawns ... specifically, mowing lawns. If I had it my way, I'd be living in the city, up on the penthouse suite... far away from lawns and mowing them. I once thought I'd conquer my hatred by buying myself a nice self-propelled lawnmower ... but that Thing keeps breaking down and costing me more money just to maintain it.

Ugh.

So I guess my game design would be centered around mowing lawns.

Here I go: Robo-Mower-Derby.

Imagine a huge square grid, representing a yard to be mowed. "Grass" Tiles are randomly laid down onto the grid (face-down).

Each player gets a "lawn mower" token, representing a remote-controlled robo-mower. They start at opposite ends of the field. Each player also gets a player board and 4 Command Dice.

At the beginning of each turn, each player rolls their dice, and selects which ones to use and the order they'll use them (see RoboDerby: Express) for an idea of what I'm thinking of.

Once they have all selected their commands, they simultaneously reveal and resolve the dice.

Each time their token travels over a face down "Grass" tile, they collect it. The tiles are typically worth a range of victory points (including negative weeds!), or they might apply some random problem with the Robo-Mower (darn sprinkler heads! or rocks!).

Imagine this, but with green grass.


I'm not sure what will trigger the game to end. Running out of facedown Grass tiles is definitely one. But I need another in case players are counting the tiles and know that most of the remaining facedown tiles are negatives.

edit: added images
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I hate most is crazy conservatism, but that's probably too depressing.
The thing I fear most is Alzheimer's and similar mind-screwy degenerative stuff.
I'm not sure how to make a game out of that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I despise roadworks. No matter where I turn, someone had the clever idea to break up roads and sidewalks, place fences as if public property is not public and basically be a nuisance for weeks.

Of course it doesn't end there. They'll only break up the very same road again 2 months later. Either the city planning office isn't planning or companies should learn how to work together...

Not sure I would get a good game out of that, but I get depressed just thinking about it and game designing should be just as fun as game playing...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anonymousmagic wrote:
I despise roadworks. No matter where I turn, someone had the clever idea to break up roads and sidewalks, place fences as if public property is not public and basically be a nuisance for weeks.

Of course it doesn't end there. They'll only break up the very same road again 2 months later. Either the city planning office isn't planning or companies should learn how to work together...

Not sure I would get a good game out of that, but I get depressed just thinking about it and game designing should be just as fun as game playing...


It's currently being redesigned and rethemed, but...
Highway Hustle - The Epic Road Building Tile Game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Rubinelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I hate commuting and getting stuck in traffic. I imagine a race game in which most spaces are occupied with cubes, and you play cards to move them out of your way so you can slowly advance, at the same time trying to place them in your opponents' path. You also have to keep track of your sanity score, because every time it goes down to zero, you will have to draw one event card from the Road Rage deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
The thing I fear most is Alzheimer's and similar mind-screwy degenerative stuff.
I'm not sure how to make a game out of that...


A cooperative game for 2-5 players. Mike's mind is deteriorating, he knows that he doesn't have long left and wants to put his life in order while he still can. Players take the role of aspects of Mike's personality and coordinate their control of his senses, movements, speech and memories. The rules are initially simple but lines of the rulebook are replaced by random words, this occurs at the end of each turn and whenever players argue about the interpretation of the rules. The game ends when the rules are no longer intelligible to the point that it's impossible to play. Victory is obtained by completing the most objectives such as "tell your wife you loved her", "write your last will" or "hear the laughter of a child one last time".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
The thing I fear most is Alzheimer's and similar mind-screwy degenerative stuff.
I'm not sure how to make a game out of that...


A cooperative game for 2-5 players. Mike's mind is deteriorating, he knows that he doesn't have long left and wants to put his life in order while he still can. Players take the role of aspects of Mike's personality and coordinate their control of his senses, movements, speech and memories. The rules are initially simple but lines of the rulebook are replaced by random words, this occurs at the end of each turn and whenever players argue about the interpretation of the rules. The game ends when the rules are no longer intelligible to the point that it's impossible to play. Victory is obtained by completing the most objectives such as "tell your wife you loved her", "write your last will" or "hear the laughter of a child one last time".


co-op Fluxx can be like this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
The thing I fear most is Alzheimer's and similar mind-screwy degenerative stuff.
I'm not sure how to make a game out of that...


A cooperative game for 2-5 players. Mike's mind is deteriorating, he knows that he doesn't have long left and wants to put his life in order while he still can. Players take the role of aspects of Mike's personality and coordinate their control of his senses, movements, speech and memories. The rules are initially simple but lines of the rulebook are replaced by random words, this occurs at the end of each turn and whenever players argue about the interpretation of the rules. The game ends when the rules are no longer intelligible to the point that it's impossible to play. Victory is obtained by completing the most objectives such as "tell your wife you loved her", "write your last will" or "hear the laughter of a child one last time".


co-op Fluxx can be like this.


From a gameplay point of view some sort of mix between Fluxx, Risk:Legacy and Nomic would be the core of the thing.

On an emotional level I was aiming for "harrowing" over the sunburst of Fluxx's bright colors. Computer games manage to tackle difficult subject matter (Depression quest as an example?) and are at their strongest when the mechanics directly inspire the feeling rather than telling you about it (There's a section towards the end of Brothers that I won't spoil here but I'd describe it literally as a work of genius). I'd be trying to capture the quiet desperation by having the core rules of the game itself make less and less sense while having players afraid to talk to each about it (as any debate on the subject will make things worse) - I doubt it'd literally capture the feeling of losing your mind but it's a push in the right direction.

Board games of this nature have typically done poorly in the past (or are installations, such as Train, which has provoked its own series of discussions) but I think it's that they make the same mistake that old computer games on similar subjects did - when people made games about something serious they forgot to make the underlying game any good. I can't think of a boardgame that has both meaningful emotional content and good core gameplay.

Not that I should be designing one on this subject, since I've only a peripheral understanding, but the "I'm not sure how to make a game of that" inspired me to try to sketch an outline for something that could work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the sentiment about computer games.

Leisure Suit Larry certainly makes me feel perverted.

Myst filled me up with wonder.

Phantasmagoria still gives me the creeps whenever I think of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were something I dislike, it would have to be a trip to the dentist.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates... I hate pirates... ninjaarrrhninja

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.