Subject: Designer diary 1: Goal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Cities: Skylines board game designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations: The Dice Game is a board game for 1-4 players that takes 10-15 minutes per player and shares many concepts with the civilization-building game Nations while still offering its own challenges.

For the big Nations game we were 4 designers. For several years I have been working to create both solo rules for the big game and a dice version. Both of these projects have been directly related but clearly distinct from the development of the big game itself. Both have had about 4 completely different major versions over the course of the years. The solo rules and components were included in the big game, and many have had a lot of fun playing them. The dice game is now finished and I am really happy with the result.

The core of the big Nations game is very flexible, and from the start I believed that it should be possible to adapt it to a fun and fast dice version. The way I thought about both this and the solo rules was that I would 'find' it if I just kept digging long enough.

So the goal was to make a fun and fast game that was strongly related to the big game. Stretch goal was to act as a stepping stone to get players interested in playing the big game. Based on feedback from blindtesting the goal was achieved, and even the stretch goal seems to have worked out

Designer diary index
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Paul AGEZ
France
-
flag msg tools
www.ludopoly.fr
badge
mbmbmbmbmb