Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now played this game just twice,I am left wondering if it is me that is playing the game wrong or is it just too easy to slay the dragon. We slayed the dragon (15 hits) in 3 rounds,then 4 rounds in game 2.

With 3 players the top defense is untouched by the dragons attack.
We played it that the dragon card has no bearing on the defense.( Players are attacked as per card instructions)
2nd best defense heals 2 wounds and 3rd heals 1.

Now dragon attack. Highest player 2 wounds and draws 1 hero card,next Highest 1 wound.

Now bear in mind the top defense takes no damage,2nd Heals2. 3rd heals 1. There is very little,if any wounds staying on the heroes,especially if they use hero cards to heal wounds.has anyone else found it too easy or finish in 3 or 4 rounds. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A dragon dies by wounds, not hits. How are you calculating wounds?

In other words, you said you slew the dragon at 15 hits but a dragon dies at 15 wounds. It takes 4 hits just to cause one wound, 6 hits to cause two wounds. To cause 15 wounds to the dragon, I think you would need like 46-60 hits. That seems impossible in 3 rounds even if you rolled perfectly every time. However, I believe it's possible in 4 rounds but extremely difficult.

Here's the official variant the designer recommended for 3 players if you still find the Dragon too easy. It is included in the Official FAQ-

"Tougher Dragon: Players that want the dragon to be more difficult to slay, improving the possibility to escape the dungeon should use these rules. It is highly recommended that 3 player games include this variant. The following rules are active when using this variant:

A) To slay the Dragon now requires 6 Wounds per player. (18 for 3 players)
B) When attacking the Dragon the following number of Successes are required to inflict Wound(s):
5 Hits are required to put 1 Wound on the Dragon. 6 or 7 Hits are required to put 2 Wounds on the Dragon."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No just used 4-5 hits as 1 wound or 6 or more to 2 wounds.
Did use cards such as add 1 wound or 2 success to or count dragon icons as hits.or add 1 re roll etc. Not using more than 1 card,per attack..sorry it was 4 rounds in game 1 and 5 rounds in game 2.
I just found the dragon to be weak both in attack and defence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds better. Also found,a variant where in a 3 player game,you reduce the number of spaces on the board by 1. Eg only 1 attack space,and only 2 defence slots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with 3 players yet but based on your and other's feedback, I think I'll be using the official variant if I ever do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's just too many dice that wound the dragon. Attack defence,wild and sometimes card permitting, dragons as well. Even the player running away dealt damage without re rolls and sometimes had a card to allow 1 wound and 1 re-roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If players just want to slay the dragon they always will, but the thing that most people do not consider in the game is that slaying the dragon is a losing proposition for most players. Dragon Rampage is best when players approach it with shifting strategies, making the most of gather treasure, gaining gold, gathering treasure and benefits on the movement track and blocking other players from their desired strategy. In many games I play (well, to be honest we are devious group of adventurers) players with the run strategy will often block the attackers from the Attack space and then not use their re-rolls to ensure they gain no more than 1 hit and even work for no hit late in the game if the dragon is close to death. Our games are usually 50% Dragon Kill ending, 40% escape ending and 10% death ending (unless using one of the alternate dragons that I designed for promo and potential expansions that have not materialized). Even when the Dragon is slain in our games, the slayer is often not the winner as others focused on gold bonuses and treasure points.

While I think the balance is there when players see that an all out assault on the dragon is a fruitless strategy for over half of the players since only 2 can gain bonus points for the kill, and only one can gain significant bonus points. Understanding that other paths to victory may work best, players should often engage in different strategies keeping it unclear which they are truly dedicated toward.

However, if your group is overly attack oriented you can make the dragon harder to slay simply by increasing the wounds required by 1 per player. I have done this by creating alternate dragons and may at some point in the future post them in the files section as I believe several players would enjoy facing different types of challenges just like my gaming group does. Personally I love facing the Green Dragon and his venomous bite that causes the heroes to actually lose their action tokens during the course of play and I suspect others would also. But I am rambling.

In closing, thanks for playing Dragon Rampage and if the game is not providing the challenge your group desires because the Dragon is dying too easily, try a game with a stronger dragon to see how that plays and encourage players to explore all strategies to score points. When everyone has hidden agendas and shifting strategies this game is one of my favorites to play.

Thanks again, Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty for your input.
I have watched an online review in.which the reviewer came up with an interesting alternate for 3 players.

This consists of knocking off 1 available slot for each segment. Defense,attack etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played this again with 4 players and it really made a massive difference to the game, a vast improvement on 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is why call the game "Dragon Rampage" and then find out that the Dragon and its cards are extremely weak. Healing wounds is extremely easy if any heroes take damage ... and so the Dragon is simply an annoyance ... not the fearful beast it should be.

Why were there not some cards in the Dragon Rampage deck with some real bite ... and why not make it a bit tougher to heal wounds.

Why make it that wounds count against you at game end only if someone dies??

Yes, you can change the rules in all kinds of variants, but this doesn't change the toothlessness of the Dragon Rampage cards in the base game. The Paladin's power is to heal, but because it is too easy for others to survive it makes his power less effective and a disadvantage to play over others. IMO the game has great potential, but is the design is currently unbalanced. I would love to love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playing it with 5 players makes healing harder and does actually make the game a lot more enjoyable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Barrios
msg tools
mbmbmb
I played with 3 player and yes it was easy, but it's cause almost everyone healed.

We upped the dragon health to 20 and -1 space for healing and it got better.

This game is at its best with 4 or 5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.