George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing scenario 20. German anti-tank gun is on a hex on the east edge of the board. Can a Russian infantry squad enter the board on that hex, without allowing any opportunity fire, and force melee later in the turn? When this came up today, we said "Yes".

Normally, if the Russian unit started its turn on the board adjacent to the gun, the gun could attempt to change facing and shoot as op fire or final op fire, but in this case there was no hex to move the Russian back to if the German gun's fire was effective. Would the Russian have to rout later? From what hex to what hex? Too many questions raised!

We played that the reinforcement could enter onto the enemy occupied hex, and that the only way to prevent this is to not put a unit on a board edge hex where enemy reinforcements are due.

Did we miss anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We played that the reinforcement could enter onto the enemy occupied hex, and that the only way to prevent this is to not put a unit on a board edge hex where enemy reinforcements are due.

I think this is a new thing, but that you hit upon the right ruling. Without it, all sorts of unrealistic and cheesy things could be attempted and that is not the spirit of BoB.

I will put a this in my notes section for future updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, Jim. We were thinking of what was in the spirit of BoB when the situation came up!

One other thing that might be good for a clarification. In 3.0 Command Points, the last bullet (giving the 5th way a command point can be used) states "May be used to increase the Proficient Firepower by one (but not greater than the Normal Firepower) for one attack."

My opponent asked if he could spend the command point after he made an attack that missed by one on his die roll. I looked at him as though he was kidding me, but he was not! He is a great guy, and we are not super competitive. We looked at the rules and played it my way - that the command point is committed before the die roll - but when we checked the rules, I really could not prove to him that his interpretation was wrong for this use of the command point. The other bullets say "May be allowed to re-roll..." and "May be used to conduct...", with a clear implication that the CP is spent first. Unless I'm missing something, the wording here is not as clear. He really thought that the CP could be spent at any time to bump the firepower up by one, and I felt bad that I could not show him, in black and white, where he was going wrong.

The closest the rules come to making this timing explicit is in 6.2 Executing a Fire Attack, which describes how you adjust Firepower before you roll the die and then compare the die roll to the adjusted Firepower to see if you have achieved any result.

That was good enough for me (and for my opponent), but I still think that it can't hurt to clarify the timing of that CP use in that last bullet in 3.0.

Thanks again, Jim. We do enjoy this game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
You were right again. You spend the command point before the roll. Also added to the clarification list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.