7 Wonders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I buy a resource even if I don't use it or intend to use it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kelley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can you just feed gold to the cities on your left and right and buy resources even if you aren't intending to build anything with those resources that turn?

I was playing today with cities and leaders and a player had a marketplace, a clandestine dock and the leader Hatshepsut.

They said "I can get a free gold from the bank every turn by purchasing a resource for free and having the bank pay me for the transaction". Is this legitimate? Do you need to have a cost in order to place a purchase for a resource from a player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
In the past when the question has been asked the answer I saw said "NO" and they based it on this passage from the rules
Quote:

Commerce
Often, a player will want to build a structure requiring resources he or
she does not produce.
If these resources are produced by a neighboring city – players sitting
directly to the left or right of that player – the player will be able to purchase
the missing resource(s)
through commerce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities even specifies that you can't buy a resource to complete a structure if you could complete that structure without buying any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
6element
msg tools
mb
remnos wrote:
Can you just feed gold to the cities on your left and right and buy resources even if you aren't intending to build anything with those resources that turn?

No, rules are pretty clear:
rules, page 4 wrote:

Often, a player will want to build a structure requiring resources he or she does not produce.
If these resources
are produced by a neighboring city – players sitting directly to the left or right of that player – the player will be able to purchase the missing resource(s) through commerce.

remnos wrote:
They said "I can get a free gold from the bank every turn by purchasing a resource for free and having the bank pay me for the transaction". Is this legitimate? Do you need to have a cost in order to place a purchase for a resource from a player?

Your opponents are wrong.

You can only buy a resource from neighbor when:
- you need it to build a card you're building this turn
- the card cannot be build using free chain
- you don't produce sufficient amount of the resource yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Feldman
msg tools
Quote:
You can only buy a resource from neighbor when:
- you need it to build a card you're building this turn
- the card cannot be build using free chain
- you don't produce sufficient amount of the resource yourself

Although this is pretty theoretical, you can deliberately block yourself from a resource. Suppose you need Stone and Wood, and you have Stone and Caravansery. Instead of making Caravansery produce Wood, you use it for Stone, forcing yourself to purchase Wood.

I wonder if that's allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Udvari
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
af145 wrote:
Although this is pretty theoretical, you can deliberately block yourself from a resource. Suppose you need Stone and Wood, and you have Stone and Caravansery. Instead of making Caravansery produce Wood, you use it for Stone, forcing yourself to purchase Wood.

In my opinion, this is perfectly valid and smart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Irvine
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gregski wrote:
af145 wrote:

In my opinion, this is perfectly valid and smart.

I'm of a mind to agree.

The basic rule is straightforward enough. But when you choose what Caravansery (for example) produces, there's no rule clearly stating you have to choose something that will minimize the overall number of resources you buy from neighbors. That is, the rule as given more likely only "checks" if you are producing the resources this turn *when you have already made all decisions about what your cards are producing*, not as you make those individual decisions.

I think it's easier to simply add "something you can't produce *this turn*" to the rule as is than to read the rule as banning any plan for resource production that is not buy-minimizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Ducharme

Quebec
msg tools
SlebRittie wrote:
Cities even specifies that you can't buy a resource to complete a structure if you could complete that structure without buying any.
I'm glad they wrote such a rule.

What page did you find it on? (beside the team-play-specific comments on page 10, that is)

Note: I may appear somewhat pushy on this subject, by there is 'that guy' in my playgroup who needs very hard evidence to be convinced. Such questions are important for my playgroup: if the loophole is allowed, then we'll use it; if not, then we need to know why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.