Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ziegler
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my retail shipment of Myth from CoolStuff, so I busted it open and tried my first game tonight, and I figured I would share some of my initial impressions on the strategy of the game.

1) Go after lairs first. Without lairs, the darkness cards don't seem to have much effect. On my first encounter with a lair, I went right after it with a couple ranged attacks and then slammed it with a Devastate attack from my Soldier, and it died within a couple rounds. That was fortunate, because right after it died the Darkness card specified a Deadly Spawn with two captains. I feel like if you delay going after the lair, you are likely to get overwhelmed with the spawns.

2) Leave one monster alive. Because all the treasure tokens go away when the tile is cleared, it is a good idea to leave one monster alive. One minion isn't likely to do much damage to your heroes, and it will prevent the treasure from going away until you can collect it.

3) Never let your threat get up to 8. If your threat is getting high, sometimes it's better to slow-play a couple rounds and get your threat back down to manageable levels rather than risk one of the devastating effects from the Darkness cards. If you're holding four Serendipity tokens, it can be okay to let your threat get up to 8 as you can cancel the effect of the Darkness card, but that seems like a waste. It's better to just avoid your threat getting to 8 entirely.

Anyhow, those are some of my initial thoughts on strategy. If you have other thoughts, please feel free to list them below, and I will add other thoughts I have as I think of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yarborough
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it yet but I would imagine doing a tile with two lairs is going to be more than twice as difficult. Amen on the threat level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
I really dont see why treasure changing to gold doesn't happen in the refresh phase. Thats basically the point of the refresh phase, check status, change levels, and so on. Its pretty silly for it to change in the middle of a HC. With 3 monsters left or a captain why punish the player for killing them last. If the player kills the enemy with extra MP left, that was calculated into the attack, they should be able to get the treasure, or another hero has movement or a hustle card to pick it up why not. Its stuff like this that makes us parade one minion around the board while we pick stuff up. While its a great strategy, it feels like I'm just giving the game the bird.
The first point is a great point for winning early, and really the game doesn't get that hard if you quickly take out the lair(havne't played any bosses yet, they look much harder). This is actually how i played on my run throughs, with clearing the tile as quick as possible being the main priority. I guess this comes from playing other co ops. Dont get overwhelmed. Whats the point of killing 3 minions when 4 spawn? But this game i love the push your luck aspect of rewarding you for doing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the way to succeed in Myth is to game the system. Just like all adventurers do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Haas
msg tools
I agree with most of the strategy. However, I believe that spending 4 Serendipity only cancels the Darkness Event. This does not include the Threat Penalty section of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.