flag msg tools
badge
"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars" - unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
Name of the game: Triassic Terror

Number of players: 2-6

Playing time: 120 minutes

Mechanic of the game: Area Control/ Area Influence
Date: April 4th (International Table Top Day)

I had the honor of demoing Triassic Terror on Table Top day at Nostalgia Ink. I love bringing this game to this store. They always have a good time. I had a full game of six players this time around so I ended up sitting out and assisting when I could.
The game started off slow since I had three people in my group that have never played. Luckily I had myself and three other repeat players who were eager to jump in and assist. Once they had a base understanding of what each action did we were ready to start the game.

Red had a good start this game. He was on a mission to hatch and grow his herds as much as possible. This was an excellent strategy to have. Whereas purple had the strategy to kill anything and everything around him. He made use of the T-rex, raptors, and pterodactyl multiple times. I also feel this was a good strategy to have but also giving him a target on his back. My husband also sat in on this game and since he was married to me, chose the color pink, and had the most experience in the game he was the one everyone kept attacking. By the first scoring round, he only had a few dinosaurs.
Red was the only one player was able to claim presence in the first scoring round. After seeing the bonus points he was able to score the other players decided to kick it up a notch and grow their herds and kill off all the rest. All six of them saved their volcanos until the last period (in a six player game this is the period the game ends).

Blue, Green, Pink, and Orange spent this round beefing up their herds and trying to get them in as many environments as possible before the end of the game. Purple was still on his killing spree. In fact, there was an ongoing war between Purple and Green on who was going to eat which dinosaurs. Having the multitude of volcanos appear out of thin air this round made this strategy a little difficult. Some were able to use the volcanos to their advantage by scoring more point growing their herds elsewhere, while others, this crushed them since they only had a few dinosaurs on the board.
By the end of the game Red had the most dinosaurs on the board and managed to maintain his presence throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this a while ago but only just got it out. Unfortunately I only have 2-3 players usually and I think this one really suffers with < 4. I can definitely see it's got a solid ruleset though plus there are cool dinosaurs!

Interesting to see that you saw a variety of strategies. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren, the game works fine with 3. It is very chess like with 2, it works but was designed for a multi-player situation. We play three players often. Of course if you get the chance for 4-5 ever, then give it a go. Hope you enjoy it, it is may favourite design because of the enormous strategical possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter. I'm definitely keen to get this to the table regardless of the player count. It looks great and I'll be interested to see how different player counts affect the strategies.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon beall
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the house rules we made when we play with 2 or 3 players is to start by drawing additional geography cards. This populates the board much more quickly, which in our experience has been the hurdle with less players.
Typically players start with one geography card, and place 3 dinos in that geography.
With less players, we draw at least 2, and sometimes as many as 4. This fills in the board in a few different regions at the outset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has found that the game works well even with only 3. There is still plenty of competition since the tertiary habitats no longer score any points. I definitely wouldn't play the game with 2 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.