Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am trying to find a game to play that we can include my brother in laws girlfriend. We play games almost every Sunday when we have dinner together, but she rarely plays. I was surprisingly able to get her to play a game of No Thanks! earlier today, but it was tough on her, lots of decisions to make. I was thinking that the only games she might enjoy are games that don't involve decisions. My wife and I were trying to think of something where you didn't have to make a decision but couldn't really come up with anything other than a roll and move. Are there any good games that don't really require someone to make a decision? I think this is a lost cause. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If her brain has blown a fuse with No Thanks! then you are struggling. Personally I'd stick with No Thanks! if the game was generally enjoyed by the the group. Now she has played maybe she will slowly grow in confidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
so

try Hey, That's My Fish!, Heimlich & Co., The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac, Ave Caesar and I'd advocate coops. she might have trouble with decisions but maybe if they are part of a team effort? So straight coops only I'd say.

so think about Shadows over Camelot, Police Precinct, Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why bother, you're brother in law obvioulsy likes her for her willingness to role and move....

But seriously not all people like games and if they don't there's nothing you can do to change it. she probably has other interests.

I allways thought my wife likes games but now-a-days getting her to play is like squeezing water from a rock. soblue
So I simply avoid the hassle and play games solo or with my kids.

Even when she does play she may give up on it midd game, says she'll play the rest of the game tomorrow and ofcourse tomorrow never comes.
So frustrating...

So, maybe she's into sports, so a more physical game would be more to her liking.
How about darts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Kochenower
United States
Wichita
KS
flag msg tools
I see that you have Love Letter in your collection. Have you tried playing Love Letter with her? If she finds it difficult to play Love Letter and No Thanks, I don't see many options beyond that. While someone mentioned co-ops, I feel that this would only cause more confusion. In the end, the group would just end up telling her what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably try some of the more simple push your luck games like Zombie Dice or Unnamed Object, my wife will happily play both these but is usually put off by more complex games with lots to learn.

As for co-ops the whole family love Forbidden Desert

IF you really want a game with minimal decision making why not try Love Letter, at most you only need to decide between two cards and often the cards will end up dictating which you should play too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried with more social / party games?
Dixit
Cranium
PitchCar
Taboo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
LCR has absolutely no decisions, but that is based off my reading of the description. I've never played it (and plan never to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pit normally goes down well with non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop

+1 Zombie Dice

+1 Unnamed Object

The decision is to continue or not.
Anyone can play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Cooperative games are always a good bet when introducing people who have never played "designer" board games. Let them go last so they can see what a turn looks like and provide them with minimal suggestions in the early stages of the game. Get them involved in decision making as often as possible without throwing them into the spotlight and forcing them to make a tough call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Try something completely different like a good dexterity game:

Bamboleo or Riff Raff would be good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dixit

+1 or a cooperative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. She has been dating my brother in law for over a year now and she has always seemed aloof to the rest of the family, so I really want to make her feel that we are not leaving her out. She has watched us play Dixit and Love Letter before and Im sure she would enjoy Dixit. We have played Taboo with her once before and she ended up walking out in the middle of the game. shake

I'm thinking an easy Dexterity like Sorry Sliders or a co op may be a good idea. I know she likes games though since she plays quite a few of them on her phone, but I cant say what she plays exactly. I have Feed the Kitty which is like LCR, maybe I will try that one with her.

I don't know, I think I may have run into my first person that genuinely doesn't like games. I've read about that it on the internet, but I didn't know such a thing actually existed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people just don't get enjoyment out of solving a problem for fun, which is basically game play. For many people, just watching TV passively is enough entertainment for them, or maybe athletic type things (volleyball, whatever, that doesn't require sitting down and doing an intellectual exercise). It's nice you want to include her, but trying to get her to play games probably isn't going to work, from the sounds of it.

She may be aloof because she feels she doesn't fit in with your family lifestyle, and is insecure (or just doesn't care, there's always that). The fact that she didn't enjoy No Thanks and walked out on Taboo means I would just forget game playing. There are so many psychological factors in how people approach social relationships that it is impossible to determine why she doesn't want to play, but fact is, she doesn't.

There must be something she likes to do so you could include her. Best of luck!

By the way, Dixit scares the heck out of people who aren't imaginative, so although I have had success with it for non-gamers, it can be difficult for some people. Maybe try something simple like Monopoly, or a derviative of it -- roll and move isn't something that takes a lot of thought. Maybe King of Tokyo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with trying 'odd'/different type games.

maybe; Tumblin-Dice, Eat Poop You Cat, Word on the Street, Hanabi, or Ugg-Tect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you said it is clear she does not really feel at ease with your family yet.

For some people it is out of their comfort One to play with strangers.
After all if doing so you are showing a bit of your inner self,
Maybe she.
Maybe she'S a soar loser.

So, maybe better get to know her first, or play with fewer people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
UNO sounds like the perfect game to me. It's not the greatest thing in the world but still allows for some fun and laughing at others when you drop a draw four on them. Easy to have a conversation while playing which sounds like it might be comforting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G R
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone asked her what games she likes to play? Ease her in with something she already knows.

Off the top of head though I'm thinking here's a girl that can't make decisions and walks out on games, put together with a family that enjoys playing games together. Bad combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Yurcaba
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about In a Pickle from GameWright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Pak
msg tools
How about Tales of the Arabian Nights? It has decisions/choices, but the choices don't really matter. Its more of a, "hey let's try this out and see what happens" type of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.