Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Quantum» Forums » General

Subject: Great game but which idiot chose the colours used? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm colourblind. A lot of people are, it's the single most common sight disability in the world. So tell me why they chose orange and green dice & cubes that not only are from a palette close to each other (unlike say Blueprints where orange and green are distinct) but are also translucent meaning the available light will alter the colour?

I've had to mark a pip on each face of the orange dice and cubes so I can tell they're orange! Thankfully red & blue are a sensible choice. Played my first game last night and I really like the game but would it have hurt them to actually bloody test the game before choosing such UN-colourblind friendly bits? Red, blue, white & black for example? Or a number of other colours that are fine for most colourblind people.

At least my dice aren't mangled!!!

/rant over.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
I mean this with no disrespect to you or the colour-blind but red, yellow, green and blue have always been the staple 4 colours and were likely chosen because there wasn't an obvious reason to change them. If white and black were used in conjunction with other colours for the player ships I would question why they weren't used for the attack and defence dice instead as it would make sense to have colours for the players and monochrome opposites for the combat dice.

I'm not sure how common-place testing for the colour-blind is when it comes to board games but I can think of countless games which have used the same colour scheme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thezeronumber wrote:
I mean this with no disrespect to you or the colour-blind but red, yellow, green and blue have always been the staple 4 colours and were likely chosen because there wasn't an obvious reason to change them. If white and black were used in conjunction with other colours for the player ships I would question why they weren't used for the attack and defence dice instead as it would make sense to have colours for the players and monochrome opposites for the combat dice.


Except they didn't use Red, Yellow, Green, Blue. They used red & blue (good) and orange and green (bad). Even worse they didn't use distinct shades but rather similar pastel shades. Then the issue was compounded by having "cool" translucent bits.

White and black was only an example (and was a good choice for attack dice) and whilst colour is always going to be an issue for colourblind people & can never fully be mitigated the design choices here (and that's all they are) didn't consider the choice if colour at all it seems.

Quote:
I'm not sure how common-place testing for the colour-blind is when it comes to board games but I can think of countless games which have used the same colour scheme.


Apparently less common than it should be and non-existent practically in the world of Kickstarter published titles!

It's still a good game and three player isn't an issue. Four is fine but only because I've modified the components. I've asked Fun Forge about why they chose the colours. No response.

Could be worse...could be Race for The Galaxy. Unplayable by me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My fourth player color I acquired at Essen was yellow. I'm very curious why your copy has orange dice. Is your player board orange as well? I'm wondering if they changed it during a subsequent print run or you received faulty colored dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
My fourth player color I acquired at Essen was yellow. I'm very curious why your copy has orange dice. Is your player board orange as well? I'm wondering if they changed it during a subsequent print run or you received faulty colored dice.


Or I'm seeing green dice that are yellow! I'll ask the wife who isn't colourblind what colours they are.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a closer look at my original dice and in poor light they do look more orange than yellow so I can see your argument.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
I took a closer look at my original dice and in poor light they do look more orange than yellow so I can see your argument.


It's the fact they're translucent. Blueprints, as I cited above uses a solid green and a solid orange. I can fairly easily tell these apart. In perfect light I can just about tell the Quantum dice apart. In anything but perfect light I can't.

But I suppose translucent dice are "cool" and "futuristic" - from over function, I suppose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy today, opened it, and thought 'huh...quantum cubes in just two colours?'. I'm only moderately colour blind but the three colours other than blue were indistinguishable to me. I may have to use replacement parts to be able to play this. We'll see.

Gary
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garyjames wrote:
I got my copy today, opened it, and thought 'huh...quantum cubes in just two colours?'. I'm only moderately colour blind but the three colours other than blue were indistinguishable to me. I may have to use replacement parts to be able to play this. We'll see.

Gary


When I played the other day I noticed the red cubes tend to look like the orange cubes in less than perfect light. Again, the use of translucent material is the biggest problem here. At least the red and blue dice being bigger are easily distinguishable.

They really can't of even bothered testing this for colourblindness issues.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.