Todd Geller
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I'm a sucker when I need to fill an order to put me over a threshold for free delivery on games. Oh yeah the wife thinks this was a trade!whistle

This one popped up for under $13.00. It had some cool mechanics, worker placement, buildings, variable setup, so I had to order it (It put me .27 over for free delivery.) Once again it was a trade honey!

Any game that comes in a tin I'm always wary about. However as of late there have been some good ones: Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Crazy Creatures of Dr. Doom, Timeline: Diversity, Harry's Grand Slam Baseball Game. Those are all trades....shake

Let's start with the basics:

The components:

The worker cards are good quality stock ( I always sleeve the cards so I don't know how long the cards will last. The building cards are oversized and I don't know if sleeves are available. The coins are made of plastic and they are textured. For a small tin game very nice components. The tin box is embossed and is very nice the cards with sleeves fit nicely and I did baggie the cards and coins so less movement.

Rating A.

Gameplay.

It's pretty straight forward. Its a victory point march. First one to 17.
Most buildings garner victory points only after the the final total has been reach can you count money and additionally you get 1 VP per 10 money
at the very end.
You turn consist of three things

3 actions per turn you can choose them in any order.

Buildings are laid out 5 across
Workers are also laid out 5 across

1. Choose a building (Pick a card put it in front of you) (1 Action)
2. Choose a worker (Pick a card put it in front of you)counts 1 action)
3. Put a worker to work on one of your buildings and pay the cost money to the bank (1 action)
Put another work to work on the Same building 3 actions
Put a third worker to work on same building! 6 actions
If you send Workers on different buildings on same turn they do not cost extra actions they following the 1 action rule

Wait I thought you said there are only 3 actions yes but you can buy actions. you can buy additional actions for 5 coins!

You can also collect money on a turn

4. Take one action collect 1 coin
5. Take 2 actions collect 3 coins
6. Take 3 actions collect 6 coins

Game Play:

Each building or tools has requirements (Resources) to build it.
Gold, wood, Knowledge and Tile.... some buildings may have need for any of the previous mention resources. the buildings have to have all the resources or exceeds the resources for it to be built.

Each worker is different in cost and what they bring to the table. Some might have 2 knowledge and 2 gold but thats it.

The object is to pay to have your worker build the building or tool. Once built the Building will pay off with Money and VP's.

If it's a tool than you can assign it to the next building you are building without spending actions. It's wise to get tools early!

Finishing building is not an action when you convert it (But placing a worker on it is.)

Instructions give a great overview and is very well written.
Gameplay: B+

Review
It's a worker placement with a twist game. Gotta say didn't expect much from it it a small filler, but it works. This game reminds me of several games in recent years. Souvlaki Wars this game was very similar in feel and gameplay. You fill orders by playing cards. Also a newer release Splendor is by far the closet to the similar feel of this game you have three choices as well. If you like either of these two you will like this one. I played it with my 10 year old son who really enjoyed it. He didn't like Splendor (I Liked Splendor ) but really enjoyed The Builders. I like this genre of game mechanics so i got to say thumbs up. It's got a built in variable system so no two games will be alike. Starting cards will always be different. Got to say for an under $15.00 game this really shines. Looks it's not Rococo (which I will be giving a review on shortly which I think is one of the best out there, or Packet Row, or even any Stephan Feld But for the price and I can take it for travel!. It's a winner in my book.

Total Score
Is it worth under $10 Yes definite buy
$11-13 Worth it if you like this sort of game (Really worth a chance!)
$14-16 If you need a good small travel Worker placement game
$17+ HMMMMM! Really got to think about that More plays needed. Can't commit! whistle

For those who don't understand we can always find room on the shelf for these types of small games. Really we can't move your pictures of your parents off the mantle..........Hopefully I will be back with my next installment of don't tell my wife Review or how I traded my way to board game bliss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the machines still cost actions to place on buildings, like regular workers, they just don't cost any money. If you didn't have to pay an action for it, that would be very powerful! We tried strategies that focus on gaining 4 or 5 machines, but they were too slow. And we found that you only want one or two at most.

Great review, though. I hope more people get this great little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
Sorry for my poor English.
Nat is absolutly right, the machines still cost actions to place on buildings, like regular workers, they don't just cost any money.

Fred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Geller
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected the Tools cost an action. That means the tools are not as valued as before but still important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.