Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tge game owner/rules guy for our group.

And we play AF a lot. It's a regular favorite.

But reading through the rules again to make a rules sheet, I noticed something different. And I'm affraid that we've been doing something SO FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG as to almost be akin to playing a different game.

So... when all players have taken their turns, do they empty the board of dice and start w a new first player, or does ONLY the player whose turn it is clear their dice?

I feel so stupid for asking this, but I evidentally read something into the rules that just wasnt there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael,
There is indeed a "start player", but after that initial selection ( each other player getting different resources if not the start player) , the game is "free flowing", there is never another start player - turns just flow around the table in a clock-wise order of play.
You NEVER remove your dice (ships) from the board unless someone's alien tech ( or indeed your own) lets you do such a thing.
Leaving your ships on certain positions on the board is a very tactful choice so as to block an opponent, again - many alien Tech will help remove a blocked space.

Hope this helps

no questions are bone headed - it's only ever easy when you know the answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You leave all your ships on the board until your next turn.

You're not the first to make that mistake:
Turn Order - Ship Collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is not boneheaded. What's boneheaded is when four people play an entire game with one particular player allowed to play anywhere, and everyone else suffering some degree of blocking, and they don't realize something is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The question is not boneheaded. What's boneheaded is when four people play an entire game with one particular player allowed to play anywhere, and everyone else suffering some degree of blocking, and they don't realize something is wrong.

It wasn't quite THAT boneheaded.
We passed the first player and the second person went first the next round, etc. Basically everyone got a shot at the cleared board.

I'm pretty sure I picked up that from Stone Age or something similar, but we were doing it sans first player token (and sans RULES adherence, apparently. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:
It wasn't quite THAT boneheaded.
We passed the first player and the second person went first the next round, etc. Basically everyone got a shot at the cleared board.

Well that makes sense. We discussed this in playtesting, and thought about putting something in the rules. It's an error of sophistication, and we decided to let those sophisticated players figure there way out of it, rather than baffle less experienced players with non-rules. In all the blind playtests I saw, they were sometimes confused, but they worked there way through this. But nobody had the ingenuity to apply the Stone Age rules.

I was in a group which had a wrong rule in El Capitan where we were paying an extra fee, and we played three games with this wrong rule. The game almost worked, but the winner was always the person who dawdled in the first era and didn't get deeply in debt. Reading the rulebook did not help, because a rulebook can not list every false rule which you might incorrectly apply. I think someone watched a how-to-play video and spotted the error.

If the game seems wrong, watching a how-to-play video should help. By applying the Stone Age rule you had something that likely didn't feel wrong, it just had more rules than necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly right. It didn't feel wrong because:
A) It was a worker placement game and it had the same stipulations as another worker placement game we were already familiar with.
B) Since everyone got roughtly the same amount of turns wiht the 'clear board', it was fair across the board.

The only thing that really made me furl my brow was how utterly useless the orbital market was. Since everyone got a chance or two to get ore basically all the time.

The game feels totally new now. Things will be blocked left and right basically all the time. I "introduced a new game" to my wife this afternoon, dummy playing players 3 and 4 until we got back around to her.

I was like "ok, take your dice and go again."
She: Don't we have to clear the board?"
To which I answered a resounding NO. The revelation of how much that means to gameplay could be read all across her face.

We have to re-evaluate EVERYTHING.

Granted my 'Bonehead Variant' is totally workable and doesn't break the game, I've got to admit i'm excited to play this new, tigher game I've discovered I've had the whole time .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Crosslin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Just so you know. You aren't the only "boneheaded" person out there. We have been playing it the same way.

I agree it isn't a broken way to play, just different, and I can admit I also never got the orbital market.

Just explained it to my wife, ad we look forward to playing it the "correct" way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.