7 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: dominion vs. thunderstone or other deck building game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evandro Sorensen
msg tools
mb
wich one u guys think are the best and why, i want to buy one of them and i will be in USA only for a week soo, i want to buy the "right one" for me =D

thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over your collection, Dominion sounds about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is the elder statesman of the genre and the most formal. Nothing else is so rigid in its format and playstyle: You can play one Action card and buy one card per turn, with card effects messing with those factors. You choose a set of available cards at the start of a game and they do not change.

Thunderstone is a little looser, but still has set-building as part of the opening setup.

Ascension, DC Deckbuilding and Lord of the Rings all have much looser structures and shorter setup/breakdown times. You can play as many cards as you have, buy multiple cards and available cards are cycled from a central deck, so you'll likely see many of the same cards across different games, but which cards are available right now changes from turn to turn, so you have to make your strategy flexible (whereas in Dominion your strategy can often be set from the start of the game, with only very minor adjustments).

So it really depends what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion if you like Euros. Thunderstone if you like Ameritrash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another really excellent game that has deck building as a major piece is Core Worlds. While you do not attack other players, there is a limited pool of cards (typically one of each, and not all cards appear in each game), so grabbing a card someone else intended to get will force them to adjust.

I also really like Heroes of Metro City for a super hero deck builder, but I am unusual regarding that one.

I forgot to mention that my favorite is still Dominion just because it is the purest of deck builders. Pretty quick setup and teardown if you don't buy any expansions or have everything easy to get to in one box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike is a Dominion clone but I really like the tweaks that were made. The biggest difference is that it is much more interactive. It's focused around attacking other players and trying to be in the best position when one finally loses. Dominion is still the best of the genre but lately I'm preferring Puzzle Strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Trains recently and it was an interesting Dominion variant. Think of it like Dominion with a side area-control board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.