Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide» Forums » General

Subject: worlds collide or TOR for new solo player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Stargard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm new to Thunderstone and will be playing solo, which set would you recommend or both?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
One caveat: the rulebook for Worlds Collide does not include the Solo rules. However, the digital rulebook for Towers of Ruin is available here, which does include the solo rules.

The heroes and monsters in both sets are excellent. I prefer Worlds Collide's village cards, for their artwork and their abilities.

In both sets you'll need to make allowances that thieves are less useful in Solo, and rangers (and ranger-like abilities, like those on Blessed Hammer and Jondul Bow) can be too good.

In Worlds Collide:
Bluefire Level 3 helps you avoid trips to the village, very helpful in Solo where the dungeon never sleeps.
Gohlen Level 3's Dungeon ability will be useless, so there's little reason to level him past Level 2.
Abyssal•Thunderspawn and Spider•Animals have nasty Breach effects. In a multi-player game, the breaches affect all players, but in solo it will harm the solo player alone, giving the edge to the monster score pile.
• I'm not actually sure about the interaction of non-Bearer Guardians with solo play. My guess is that Guardians' Breach effects should trump the solo rules, and cause them to sit in rank 0, rather than escape to the monster score pile.

In Towers of Ruin:
Whetmage, like Bluefire, minimizes trips to the village (and even better than Bluefire does).
King Caelan's Writ becomes a pure money-saver, rather than way to snipe a revealed hero from my opponents.
• It's best to just let Kobold•Humanoids escape, unless you play that the monster score pile is a legal target for their traits.
Undead•Horde's stair-step progression ensures that the juiciest of their monster type doesn't try to escape until you've had a shot at them with a solid deck.
• Curses, with their built-in destruction clause, will be easier to get rid of than traditional diseases (found in Worlds Collide).
• Familiars and Avatars will aid the solo player, but not Doom.

In general, I expect Towers of Ruin to provide an easier Solo experience, and for Worlds Collide to provide a more challenging Solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stargard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input Will, very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:

• Familiars and Avatars will aid the solo player, but not Doom.

Avatars aren't actually found in TOR. You'll have to buy them separately if you want them. At one time they were available from AEG's website -- you'll have to check to see if they're still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
• I'm not actually sure about the interaction of non-Bearer Guardians with solo play. My guess is that Guardians' Breach effects should trump the solo rules, and cause them to sit in rank 0, rather than escape to the monster score pile.
The way I do it is the Guardian moves to rank 0, and if it's still there at the end of the game (meaning you haven't defeated it) then it goes into the monster score pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
One caveat: the rulebook for Worlds Collide does not include the Solo rules.

My copy of Worlds Collide has the solo rules on page 33 of the manual ("Solitaire Thunderstone").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
edwalter wrote:
My copy of Worlds Collide has the solo rules on page 33 of the manual ("Solitaire Thunderstone").

Ah, my mistake. Thanks for correcting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that have played WC now, which one do you like more, TOR or WC? And I mean not just solo play.

I'm not sure which one to buy. I've never played Thunderstone.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:
For those that have played WC now, which one do you like more, TOR or WC? And I mean not just solo play.

I'm not sure which one to buy. I've never played Thunderstone.

Thanks.

Bump.

I was about to ask this same question in a new thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say TOR. But for solo I would use the rule that if you kill a monster you8 don't draw one out of the deck at the end of that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For TOR, when I first started, I found it nice to use Kobold - Humanoid along with the 4-4-4 setup. That way you could let those negative VP monsters escape to the village and not only did it not hurt you, it actually helped. This was before they added the option to not flip a monster on turns when you defeat a monster. That option really makes solo a much more guaranteed win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both solo numerous times now and I prefer WC by a long shot over ToR. The heroes, weapons, spells, etc... Just seem more enjoyable in the solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.