Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crypsis explanation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Muninger
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone help me explain the use of this card for me? I have played the game several times, and I don't know if I am using the card right.

It states on the card "When you encounter a piece of ice in which you used Crypsis to break a subroutine ends"

Does this mean that I can use Crypsis to match the type of ice that they are trying to break? Can I use Crypsis multiple times on a run?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I really have no idea how to use the card.

Anyone want to explain how to use this card for me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crypsis can interact with any type of ice. Every time you use it against a single piece of ice, you must remove a virus token. IF it doesn't have one, then it is trashed. So you can use it multiple times if you have the virus tokens on it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Had some curiosity on this card myself, so will throw these in..

Is it each time you use it, or each card you use it against? Example: the ice has 3 subroutines, you break them all, you only remove one virus counter, right?

It doesn't start with any virus counters, correct? So you play it, then spend clicks as able to put virus counters onto it to get it ready for runs?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Had some curiosity on this card myself, so will throw these in..

Is it each time you use it, or each card you use it against? Example: the ice has 3 subroutines, you break them all, you only remove one virus counter, right?

That's correct. After each ENCOUNTER with a piece of ICE where Crypsis is used, you remove 1 virus counter (or trash Crypsis if it has no counters on it).

Quote:
It doesn't start with any virus counters, correct? So you play it, then spend clicks as able to put virus counters onto it to get it ready for runs?

Yes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Spend clicks for virus counters or trash it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crypsis is a special kind of icebreaker. It doesn't really care at all what type of ICE it is facing - it will take on any type.

The drawback with Crypsis is that, whenever you use it against a piece of ICE, once that interaction is over, you have to either remove a virus counter from Crypsis or trash Crypsis.

You can use Crypsis multiple times in the same run if Crypsis has adequate virus counters on it to keep it alive.

So, let's say you're facing a server with two pieces of ICE in front of it. You have a Crypsis with one virus counter on it and a mountain of credits.

You approach the first ICE. You decide to use Crypsis to break it, so you pay to raise the strength of Crypsis and then pay to break each subroutine. Once you're past that ICE, you now either have to remove a virus counter from Crypsis or trash Crypsis - you choose to remove the virus counter.

You now approach the second ICE. You can use Crypsis to break it, but if you do, you're going to have to trash Crypsis after that piece of ICE has been dealt with. It might be worth it to use Crypsis and then trash it... or it might not.

That's how Crypsis works! It can be hard to use, but it's very flexible when you do use it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Muninger
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fast replies. I finally understand the use of Crypsis after about ten playsshake Now I wont be afraid to use that card when I play.

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, thanks all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember you can't use the ability to put virus counters on Crypsis during a run, either. You are stuck with the number of counters on it for the duration of your run!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
Remember you can't use the ability to put virus counters on Crypsis during a run, either. You are stuck with the number of counters on it for the duration of your run!



Why can't you add virus tokens during a run?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Adding a virus token takes a click.
You can't use an ability costing a click while another click action (like a run) is going on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kelly
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lazzater wrote:
unitled wrote:
Remember you can't use the ability to put virus counters on Crypsis during a run, either. You are stuck with the number of counters on it for the duration of your run!



Why can't you add virus tokens during a run?


In case it hasn't been adequately explained, using a click to take an action requires that action to resolve fully before another click is used. Ergo, you can't use clicks while you are in the middle of a run, which counts as a click-action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Shamrowicz
United States
Copley
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
That's Heathersome!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I get most of this but I'm still a little confused about boosting Crypsis..

Example: I'm facing a piece of ice with strength 3, and 3 sub routines. I know I need to spend at least 3 credits to breack each sub routine, but do I need 9 credits to pump me to 3 - 3 times or does one pumping of 3 work for the entire piece of ice?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shamurai wrote:
I think I get most of this but I'm still a little confused about boosting Crypsis..

Example: I'm facing a piece of ice with strength 3, and 3 sub routines. I know I need to spend at least 3 credits to breack each sub routine, but do I need 9 credits to pump me to 3 - 3 times or does one pumping of 3 work for the entire piece of ice?

Thanks


One. You pump the whole program (Crypsis) to STR 3, using 3*1c. Once the STR is equal to ICE's, you can interact with the ICE, in this case - breaking it's barriers. You spend 3*1c, to break 3 subroutines.

Keep in mind, that the STR resets to base (0 for Crypsis) as soon you pass that ICE. Some icebreakers break that rule and keep their STR for the whole run.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.