Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is about the 3rd or 4th two player variant, but we played this variant two times in a row and we really enjoyed it. I like to keep variant changes very simple and as much like the original game as possible. This variant does that.

Rule Changes:

1. Players use 2 ships but only 1 player mat.
2. A player may not send both of his ships to the same island.
3. Players collect the booty from both islands if they are the last ones standing there.

It worked perfect! In our last game we battled 11 out of the 12 turns (although 2 of those battles were with the Royal Navy or legendary pirate.) Nothing was unbalanced or broken. We had some climatic rounds too:

On round 10 I had to flee a battle because my parrot was in danger of dying. I lost 12 treasures because I rolled a 1 for mutiny!

On the final round I was fighting a legendary pirate on Treasure Island and I had one last chance to defeat it, otherwise I was not going to be able to cash in my treasure for fame. I was rolling 3 dice and I had to hit the pirate all 3 times to kill him and succeed. I rolled two 5's and a 6!

Final score was 85 to 69. Had I not lost those 12 treasures for mutiny the score would have been even tighter at 85 to 81. It was a lot of fun and we had a great time. This variant may not make sense thematically (using one player mat with 2 ships) but it plays super smooth and is very simple with very little rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds simple, yet fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Thijssen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Serial gamer
badge
Stedje van lol en plezeer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried this variant and we liked it.
We were not sure about the following however.
Can 1 players send both ships to the same location.
I did so on the final turn to fight of the Flying Dutchman at Treasure Island and bury my treasures there?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to number 2 above, players cannot send both ships to the same island. But of course you can alter the rules any way you want. The point of not being able to send both ships to the same island forces both players to spread out, hence causing more battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Thijssen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Serial gamer
badge
Stedje van lol en plezeer
mbmbmbmbmb
we had plenty of battles arrrh
We ruled, in exception, that if you are going to attack the legendary pirate it's okay to send both your ships in. The other player can use the opportunity to take a break and prepare for future battles.
Also in sending 2 ships to the same location you can only loot 1 location instead of looting a potential 2 islands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty good exception. If I am going to fight the legendary pirate I do not want to have to fight my opponent too. Putting both ships on that same island reduces the chances of landing on an island with your opponent. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use 1 or 2 Legendary Pirates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just use one LP. There was plenty of battle going on already! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If one of a player's ships gets crippled and moves to PC, then that player's other ship is considered crippled too when its turn comes, and it too goes to PC (the opponent collecting 1 fame apiece)?

2) Because both players ships are "souped up" with double cards, double treasures, coins etc, doesn't this make the LPs half as weak compared to the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
1) If one of a player's ships gets crippled and moves to PC, then that player's other ship is considered crippled too when its turn comes, and it too goes to PC (the opponent collecting 1 fame apiece)?

2) Because both players ships are "souped up" with double cards, double treasures, coins etc, doesn't this make the LPs half as weak compared to the base game?

1) Yes

2) A major complaint about the LPs is that they are way too strong. With this variant at least now we have a fighting chance! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I suppose one could always double the values of the LP cards if they wanted it to be closer to original; on the othe rhand, with more players you have more people fighting against the LPs so it might equal out.

Can't wait to try your variation because two boats with two mats just seems like a kill-joy. But one ship doesn't give me enough places to go, so yours seems to be in the sweet spot. But let's see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a variant listed here in the forums where you use one ship per player but you battle with your opponent if he/she is on an adjacent island. We played that variant last weekend and it played very well. I'm thinking that variant might actually make more sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.