Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture» Forums » Rules

Subject: Automa rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried the automa rules and had some problems/questions. There are only 24 cards, but 7 years. If I am drawing 4 cards per year (for each season) won't I be 4 cards short for the final year?

Plus it would seem the example in the rulebook may be wrong for the standard board. If I am playing correctly I draw a card for Spring and place the automa workers on any space that is green/yellow. I then do the same for Summer, but only using the yellow spots. The example says to use green/yellow for the Summer, but the rule text says to use green/yellow for the Spring?

Then in the Fall I draw another card, using the red spaces. Finally in the Winter I draw a 4th card and use any red/blue spaces?

Is this all correct? I felt like automa had placed 4 workers before I place 1!
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin: The green/yellow note is a typo that we're fixing--it should say summer.

That's correct, on the extended board you draw one Automa card at the beginning of four seasons.

You do have to shuffle the Automa deck once (24 cards is the exact number needed to break down the actions evenly season by season in different combinations).

Morten, am I missing anything?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jamey! Glad to know I was doing things properly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RM Jordan
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play on the standard Viticulture board there there are only 2 seasons during which I am taking actions, so I was only drawing 2 Automa cards.

After selecting a Wake-up position, I will draw a card for Automa and place workers on the card's corresponding Green/Yellow actions. Moving into the Fall I am only drawing a Visitor Card. Starting the Winter phase, I then draw another Automa card and place workers on the Red/Blue action spaces as indicated.

When playing on the Extended board, I reshuffle for the final Year's actions.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rmjordan has it right. In the normal board you draw 2 Automa cards per year: one at the beginning of summer (place workers in the actions noted in yellow and green in the card) and one at the beginning of winter (place workers in the actions noted in red and blue in the card). In the extended board you draw 4 cards per year, one each at the beginning of each season, and place workers in the actions of the card which match the color of the season.

This means that the Automa deck won't be exhausted in the regular board.

Come to think of it, a note to the effect that you only draw cards in summer and winter in the original board might be a good addition.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Some conflicting information now. I appreciate the most recent comments, but, until I see something from Morten, I'll take Jamey's word for it, and keep drawing per season in the original game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
rmjordan has it right. In the normal board you draw 2 Automa cards per year: one at the beginning of summer (place workers in the actions noted in yellow and green in the card) and one at the beginning of winter (place workers in the actions noted in red and blue in the card). In the extended board you draw 4 cards per year, one each at the beginning of each season, and place workers in the actions of the card which match the color of the season.

This means that the Automa deck won't be exhausted in the regular board.

Come to think of it, a note to the effect that you only draw cards in summer and winter in the original board might be a good addition.


Wow, just realize I've been playing it wrong on the original board the whole time. I draw at the beginning of each seasons, so I'll draw one for spring, then place my rooster. The same goes for Fall, where I'll draw one Automa card before deciding to draw from which deck.

I don't notice much difference in play, though. There's a few time where the neutral meeple would all get placed on the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
Hmmm... Some conflicting information now. I appreciate the most recent comments, but, until I see something from Morten, I'll take Jamey's word for it, and keep drawing per season in the original game.


andvaranaut is a playtester for the Automa rule, so I'll trust his words
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RM Jordan
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey might have missed the reference to the standard board at the beginning of your question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll need Morten to clarify, because on the original board, I've only been drawing 1 Automa card at the beginning of summer and winter when playing on the original board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit late to the party, and is on my way out the door. So this'll just be a quick confirmation of the answers given above. You draw two cards per year on the original board and four cards per year on the extended board. I'll check whether I can do a tweak of the rules on this point when proofreading the rules.

I hope that answered the questions (I'll check back later today where I have better time)?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm back at a computer now and have more than one minute to reply . I'm not sure if it's needed, since replies have been given by other people, but I'll answer your questions directly just to make sure.

weezknight wrote:
Just tried the automa rules and had some problems/questions. There are only 24 cards, but 7 years. If I am drawing 4 cards per year (for each season) won't I be 4 cards short for the final year?


Yes, on the extended board, you'll need to reshuffle the deck.

weezknight wrote:
Plus it would seem the example in the rulebook may be wrong for the standard board. If I am playing correctly I draw a card for Spring and place the automa workers on any space that is green/yellow. I then do the same for Summer, but only using the yellow spots. The example says to use green/yellow for the Summer, but the rule text says to use green/yellow for the Spring?

Then in the Fall I draw another card, using the red spaces. Finally in the Winter I draw a 4th card and use any red/blue spaces?


You caught an error in the rulebook. Thanks. We'll fix that. Basically the rule is that everytime you start a season where you have the option of placing workers, you must first draw an Automa card and place Automa workers. Thus you draw Automa cards and place workers two times per year on the regular board, and four times per year on the extended board, just like human players place workers two times per year on the regular board and four times per year on the extended board.

weezknight wrote:
Is this all correct? I felt like automa had placed 4 workers before I place 1!


Haha, yeah, I can see that this must have been frustrating, but luckily that wasn't the way I intended the Automa to play.

If this hasn't cleared up your questions, then let me know.

Thank you for catching the error.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

Haha, yeah, I can see that this must have been frustrating, but luckily that wasn't the way I intended the Automa to play.

If this hasn't cleared up your questions, then let me know.

Thank you for catching the error.


Thanks Morten. That clears everything up nicely.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Haha, yeah, I can see that this must have been frustrating, but luckily that wasn't the way I intended the Automa to play.

If this hasn't cleared up your questions, then let me know.

Thank you for catching the error.


Thanks Morten. That clears everything up nicely.


Great, and once more thank you for catching the mistake.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.