Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Myth» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Game with my Random Generator - Channeling Warhammer Quest - Hero Cycle 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Gagajewski
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (12 years old) and I played our first game of Myth. I wanted to try out the random generator I built so we went ahead and randomly generated what we could...and got a fun, intense and short game.

I played the Acolyte and he played the Soldier. We made some kinda big mistakes rules-wise, but that certainly did not impact our enjoyment.

We were going to play a game across three tiles. I went to the random generator and pulled a 24x12 tile right off the bat...yikes.

We pulled the chapter quest Drums of the Wold. So, we immediately placed 1 Mucker surrounded by 8 Grubbers. Now to populate the tile, luckily we only ended up with 1 hunting pack and 2 lairs instead of the worst case scenario.

The hunting pack was the rest of the Grubbers and the 2 lairs were all Crawlers. We then added Yardu to the mix and we had a full tile.

COMMENT: It was really easy to run out of creatures with the base set. In fact, it will be next to impossible to meet the worst case scenario (3 or 4 lairs plus hunting parties and quests) with only what comes in the box.

COMMENT 2: I can see how it will be challenging to play this game solo with multiple characters. You need a lot of space and keeping track of all the active cards will by yourself will be challenging.

So, this is what it looked like when started.

HERO CYCLE 1
Acolyte plays Armor of Faith (0AP)to increase attacker TN by 2
Soldier plays Hustle (0AP) and then Harvest of Bones (2AP) and kills 3 Grubbers

Darkness Tracker goes to 3

MAJOR GOOF 1/2: Once we finished playing cards, we activated the Darkness based on threat range. We should not have done this because the Darkness meter was only at 3. I also just realized we did the Hero Deck Phase in the wrong place. We did it at the end of the Refresh phase.

DARKNESS CYCLE that should not have been...

Rolled 5 fate dice due to the quest. Minions get +1MP, +1 Attack, Mucker gets +1 Vitality. Rest were doubles.

Due to damage dealt and threat range, all minions activate.

Here is what it looks like after movement.

Minions get ready to attack.

Soldier plays Impenetrable and adds one rage to give the minions +2TN to hit.

2 Grubbers and 1 ranged Crawler miss.

We had no Crawlers to spawn so we just skipped this part.

COMMENT 3: Again, on bigger tiles, you really need the extra figures unless you want to proxy them in order to get the full experience.

REFRESH PHASE

Darkness meter went from 3 to 1 due to four monster types out and Darkness activates.

COMMENT 4: Playing with just the base game will be very challenging on the larger tiles. We had both sets of minions out, a mini boss and a captain so every refresh is +4 to the Darkness meter.

All minions activate and move. Here is the situation:

With Impenetrable out, the Soldier is lucky and all the minions missed him. One Crawler misses the Acolyte.

END OF FIRST HERO CYCLE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Preston
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its monster type, not class. Grubbers and Muckers count as +1 AP during Refresh. Yardu is undead so I believe that would be a 3rd type. You're still screwed before you even begin. But you should only have added 3 each Refresh Phase as I understand it.

I think the only chance people would have on a 4 lair tile is if they were all different monster types and you could kill the first 2 lairs without the others activating. 4 active lairs = inevitable death. The FAQ rule of each minion you can't spawn equals +1 AP on the Darkness meter really should have been discovered beforehand, especially if 12x24 tiles were listed as possible in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Gagajewski
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was for creature type.

We ended up losing during the third Hero Cycle but considering we gave the darkness extra activations, we didn't do too bad.

The Aggressive Spawn card that spawned two captains per lair was brutal though. If you have four lairs you don't have enough captains to spawn everything.

We are going to give it another try tonight with the mistakes corrected and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m curious what your method is for generating things randomly? My group and I randomly populate our tiles as well. We choose the number of hunting parties/lairs, the number of monster types within a hunting party, monster types and sub-monster types (melee vs range), and the position of enemies on the game board all based on dice rolls. I’m just curious what your method is. Likely various dice rolls as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rcwpong wrote:
Its monster type, not class. Grubbers and Muckers count as +1 AP during Refresh. Yardu is undead so I believe that would be a 3rd type. You're still screwed before you even begin. But you should only have added 3 each Refresh Phase as I understand it.

The rule is actually 1AP per monster, with the important caveat that minions and captains of the same type count as 1 monster. It's an important distinction because it means that Yardu would count for 1AP even if one of the monster races had been the undead instead of, say, the crawlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Rcwpong wrote:
The FAQ rule of each minion you can't spawn equals +1 AP on the Darkness meter really should have been discovered beforehand, especially if 12x24 tiles were listed as possible in the base game.

Wow, I need to read that FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 1AP per active monster type!......not per monster.........misprint in rulebook and it's been confirmed many a time now aswell in the official faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Gagajewski
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucketeyo wrote:
I’m curious what your method is for generating things randomly? My group and I randomly populate our tiles as well. We choose the number of hunting parties/lairs, the number of monster types within a hunting party, monster types and sub-monster types (melee vs range), and the position of enemies on the game board all based on dice rolls. I’m just curious what your method is. Likely various dice rolls as well?

I built a spreadsheet that lets you generate a random adventure and populate the tiles based on the legends on each. It is in the files section. One thing I did not include was position of enemies. How do you do that, especially on the big tiles? I can include that in my spreadsheet as we'll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firthaa01 wrote:
It's 1AP per active monster type!......not per monster.........misprint in rulebook and it's been confirmed many a time now aswell in the official faq

No, it is per monster. There was no error in the rule book (there was in the narrative walk through), nor was there a correction in the FAQ. The per type you are referring to is for minions and captains because they get counted a one per type. All other monsters (mostly just mini-bosses and agents at this point) count as one regardless of type. Bosses are unique and list their own refresh AP on their card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for my sanity, if I have a Grubbers and Muckers on the board do I add 1 or 2 AP in the Refresh if they are Active?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.