Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you guys encountered this? I'll often look at the used copies of a game before buying it on amazon/coolstuff, but more often than not the before shipping price is higher than or equal to the shipped price at amazon/CSI, and the bgg shipping is usually in the $10-15 range.

Now, I understand that people are not amazon, and they don’t have the ability to ship cheaply and as quickly. That’s ok. What’s not ok is pricing your used game to be the same shipped price or more than a new copy from amazon/CSI.

When I sell my games (and I have sold a lot, both here on the geek and on other online communities), I look at Amazon to see how much it's going for new, then I look what people are priced like on the geek.

At that point, I set my price at least lower than the lowest geek price, usually much more so, even though my games are in like new condition. Why? Because I want to sell my game!

I have had no problem selling all my games quickly and efficiently this way, because I'm putting them at a fair price. Apparently I'm one of the very few people on the site that does this - most games have marketplaces littered with games $5 under amazon, (which then becomes $10 over amazon when you add in shipping) or even $5-10 OVER amazon(and the games they are selling are used!), which makes absolutely no sense if you actually are interested in selling your game.

I used to assume sellers put these prices up when the game wasn't available or something, So I'll PM them and politely ask if they can budge on their price. Usually They come back with no. If I point out that it is less or the same at amazon NEW, they usually (rudely) tell me to go buy it at amazon then if their prices are so good.. So I do, and they don’t sell their game.

So, what's the deal? Are people just not aware of how people buy things? There is never a situation where I would buy a used product from someone I don't know, vs. buying a new product at amazon, where I get free, fast shipping, no hassle returns, etc.

Have you guys noticed the same thing? Why don't we have more reasonable used board game prices here on the geek? Am I crazy?

Note: I will note that this is not always true, occasionally people like me will actually post reasonable used game prices, and I gladly purchase these. Other times people are more than happy to work with me on price. Those people are great. This also obviously doesn't apply to Rare/OOP games.

This came off as a rant - and in a way it is, but I'm not upset or anything silly like that - just confused.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a reason why most of the listed games don't sell. whistle

For what it's worth I also low ball others with my prices and stay below the coolstuffinc prices.

I think there's a combination of not wanting to really let the games go and bullheaded determination to recoup their buying price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason why you care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
If you don't like the price in the BGG marketplace, don't buy.

There really is nothing more to it.

So, resetting the clock until next time this comes up for what, 3 weeks this time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised the private sellers don't budge on a game price, but perhaps they think once the cheap copies on Amazon run out, the game will go back up to a higher price.

I shop by price, absolutely, so if a game is unreasonably priced on the marketplace, or more than Amazon with shipping, it's not worth it to me. I suppose people pay what they think a game is worth, or maybe they don't check Amazon?

Sometimes Amazon is way out of whack compared to the marketplace, so who knows.

Ebay is just usually ridiculous, although I did manage to get a good deal there the other day, but that was just pure luck. Used games don't sell well on ebay, I have noticed, unless it's a grail game of some kind. Some people actually are good with shipping on ebay, but most of the time it's absurd costs.

I suppose the best strategy is just wait until someone on BGG is willing to sell a game at your price, then jump on it. Auctions are good for this, in the sense you can get great deals depending on the mood of BGG users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

I care because what should be a flourishing secondary market for used games is a wasteland of overpriced used games. Often for a few dollars more you can get a game brand new vs the used price. I don't know of any other market where this is the case. It just seems odd.
JasonJ0 wrote:
If you don't like the price in the BGG marketplace, don't buy.

There really is nothing more to it.

So, resetting the clock until next time this comes up for what, 3 weeks this time?

yes, that would be the point. Hence the stagnant secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Right under the blue "Buy!" button on every item there is a link for "Make Offer"

But yes, some Marketplace asking prices are high, and used games sell in Geekbay auctions for more than the price new... it's been commented on before and still is happening, so it looks like it's not going to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed the same thing. I don't buy many games from the marketplace because of the silly pricing but I'm not bothered, just amused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a lot of the asking prices seem high to me too.

I also laughed when someone bought my neighbor's house, fixed it up, and put it on the market for a million bucks... Yeah, it sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A seller sets the price where they are willing to trade the game for cash. That is not necessarily the price you want to pay or the price at Amazon. If he sets the price above market it won't sell (which is okay by him because at that price he would rather have the game).

Free market in action, baby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, like just try buy a game from me and see what its gonna cost you. A leg an arm at least, i do not part with my games easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still look because you can find deals. In a deal I will forever wish I had the money for, somebody was selling all of first edition of Descent, Descent 2nd edition, and the upgrade pack for $200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Is there a reason he needs a particular motivation to open up the topic for discussion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
amodman wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Is there a reason he needs a particular motivation to open up the topic for discussion?

I suppose it might make a change for there to be a reason for once; this comes up every few weeks, we see the same back and forth, and ultimately it fades away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
JohnnyR wrote:

I care because what should be a flourishing secondary market for used games is a wasteland of overpriced used games.

It's good enough. So flourishing that you probably can't count on the good
priced games sticking around. I've picked up quite a few deals just
seeing newly listed stuff, or by subscribing to games I'm interested in.

My assumption is that I ain't the only one doing this.

Auctions here are an easier way to get a good deal though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
JohnnyR wrote:

yes, that would be the point. Hence the stagnant secondary market.

Sorry, I'm not seeing a stagnant secondary market.

There are a few dozen games where I am subscribed, specifically to the market section. I see a lot of new listings come up, and yet there seems not to be a huge pile of unsold listings (plenty have a few really old, really highly-priced listings, it is true, but the rest turns over).

And I'm not even subscribed to what the cult of the new thinks is hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

I care because what should be a flourishing secondary market for used games is a wasteland of overpriced used games. Often for a few dollars more you can get a game brand new vs the used price. I don't know of any other market where this is the case. It just seems odd.
I'll second this. I buy a lot of games. The crazy pricing and the lack of an adequate search function makes the BGG Marketplace almost completely useless.

Pete (has bought 1 game there, ever)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Taken from the sell page on BGG: Listing items on the BoardGameGeek Marketplace is free!

So people post games on the marketplace for whatever the price they want. If it sells, great! If not, also just great! Nothing lost but a few minutes to post.

Now if they implemented a listing fee... well then I think you'd start to see more realistic listings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Horror Leader wrote:

Now if they implemented a listing fee... well then I think you'd start to see more realistic less listings.

fixed.

And that would include less realistically priced ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

I care because what should be a flourishing secondary market for used games is a wasteland of overpriced used games.

It's good enough. So flourishing that you probably can't count on the good
priced games sticking around.

This.

If there's anything wrong with the Marketplace, it's that people are setting their prices too low. Whenever I'm notified that a game I want has been added to the Marketplace, it's already gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that seems reasonable at first. The thing is, when you look over a game's listings in the marketplace, you mostly only get to see the less realistic prices - the better priced copies vanished soon after they were posted.

I don't really think it's a case of people trying to make big money on second hand games, I think they're genuinely pricing things at (approximately) what they are willing to sell for. If I'd be happy to sell my copy of the Settlers of Puertosonne for £50 (but no less), then I won't really care if Amazon are selling it for £40.

Mostly it comes down to people entering the marketplace with different goals and assuming everyone shares these goals. When you (OP) post a game in the marketplace you want it to sell quickly, so you undercut the current lowest price. Some people are posting [how much is this game worth to me], and don't mind if it doesn't sell. If you assume such people prioritise selling, their behaviour will confuse you. If they assume you understand that they want £X or the game, you pointing out the Amazon price will be a confusing irrelevancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably just don't research.

My gripe is that you have to commit to buying before you can see the shipping cost... Otherwise you have to geekmail the seller and risk having it bought out from under you while you wait.

I once ordered something and the seller came back with this outrageous shipping price and I said "No thanks. It's much cheaper elsewhere with that shipping." They knocked me down in a comment saying that I backed out of the purchase. This is true, but I was forced to commit to the purchase before I knew all the facts. Not cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
tofarley wrote:
They probably just don't research.

My gripe is that you have to commit to buying before you can see the shipping cost... Otherwise you have to geekmail the seller and risk having it bought out from under you while you wait.

I once ordered something and the seller came back with this outrageous shipping price and I said "No thanks. It's much cheaper elsewhere with that shipping." They knocked me down in a comment saying that I backed out of the purchase. This is true, but I was forced to commit to the purchase before I knew all the facts. Not cool.

No, you weren't. As you said, you can ask them how much the postage is (just did this myself over the weekend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Part of effective discussion is a mutual understanding of goals and assumptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not only true of marketplace, though. I see this in many auctions, with used games priced higher than CSI, even before shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.