Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone experimented using multiple unique opportunities more than once per game? What sort of adverse effects could this have? For groups needing a handicap with this game could it help? What other if any elements from the expansion could be used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Muliple Unique Opportunites
As I mentioned in your other thread, the unique opportunities do not create new options, but rather replace existing ones, meaning that it is likely that you will be hurt by unique opportunities by having the option you wanted replaced with one you don't (or perhaps can't even afford).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
As I mentioned in your other thread, the unique opportunities do not create new options, but rather replace existing ones, meaning that it is likely that you will be hurt by unique opportunities by having the option you wanted replaced with one you don't (or perhaps can't even afford).

Is there anyway to use these unique opportunities as new locations to place workers instead of replacing existing one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Luce wrote:

Is there anyway to use these unique opportunities as new locations to place workers instead of replacing existing one?

Maybe? You could set a unique location off to the side rather than replacing a location on the board, but you'd need an additional card (or cards, depending on how many you put out) for players to use to show that they are going there.

It would also mess with part of the core tension of the game. In a typical worker placement, adding more options makes it overall easier to accomplish specific goals in the game because there is less competition for spaces overall. In Dungeon Lords, the choices other players make not only block options, but also open new ones. Since the I II and III spaces of the actions are not created equal and depending on your situation you may want I, II, or III of a specific spot, the additional options make it more difficult for you to effectively predict what your opponents will do. Getting locked out will be less common (easier), but it will also be more difficult to reliably access the II and III spaces (harder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is extremely "tight," in that the pieces fit together very well and a number of strategies can prevail based on who plays best. I would argue against changing those core dynamics, or you'll create a lot of unintended consequences.

The guy who taught me to play Dungeon Lords refers to it as "the game where the winner is the person who screwed up the least." It is unforgiving by design, and if players understand that they're more likely to enjoy it for what it is.

That being said, if you want to make the game a bit more forgiving for all players, don't use the Special Events. That's recommended for the first game anyway, IIRC.

You could also start the players with a bit more Gold/Food if you wanted to give them a small leg-up, which would ease the pressure a bit but still give them plenty of rope to hang themselves with.

I would strongly advise against randomly adding crap from the expansion to the base game until the players have gotten a really solid grasp on the base game as it is. The expansion components add a lot more complexity to what is already a complex game. Adding some of them via houserules will just confuse and frustrate new players while likely unbalancing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've learned that the unique opportunities isn't the way to go. I like your idea of extra food/gold. I was planning on using the pets from the expansion though as these seem easy enough to teach and also give a nice handicap to all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I second the suggestions offered by Noble Knave, they're all good ways to tweak the base game without messing with the formula too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.