BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Is "The Resistance" and "Werewolf" worth buying if...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I already own The Resistance: Avalon.

When I opened The Resistance: Avalon, I saw two extra cards and when I read turns out they are for some extra cards that comes with "The Resistance" so I am not sure what those does and if it´s worth to get the normal game since you can actually play The Resistance with TR: Avalon without using the roles, or actually playing Avalon using the roles.

Also, I heard Werewolf is kind of like Resistance and I heard it is great. I also heard that it needs some kind of moderator and that´s why I am asking, because I wouldn´t like a game where someone isn´t actually playing.

Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Satterfield
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagg857 wrote:

When I opened The Resistance: Avalon, I saw two extra cards and when I read turns out they are for some extra cards that comes with "The Resistance" so I am not sure what those does and if it´s worth to get the normal game since you can actually play The Resistance with TR: Avalon without using the roles, or actually playing Avalon using the roles.

If you have Avalon, you have what you need to play Resistance. Unless you just want the artwork or to "collect" it, then Resistance is not necessary.

Jagg857 wrote:

Also, I heard Werewolf is kind of like Resistance and I heard it is great. I also heard that it needs some kind of moderator and that´s why I am asking, because I wouldn´t like a game where someone isn´t actually playing.

Thank you all!

It's like it in the sense that there is imperfect and secret data being used, and they're both party games. Both have the goal of thwarting the bad guys, and both have special roles to help do so.

That said, these similarities only exist in a very broad sense.

That said (again) - you don't even really need to buy a set to play Werewolf. You can play with normal playing cards, and there are tons of sites online to give you pointers on how to run a game. I bought a set myself because it's easier than having to map out and explain "the diamonds are all town, the king of hearts is the seer..." but that's totally optional.

One more note- don't discount how fun it can be to moderate these games. Being a fly on the wall and watching things develop while most of the room has no clue what's going on is its own entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Avalon, do not buy regular Resistance. You can play regular Resistance with the Avalon stuff. Some editions of Resistance comes with Plot Cards, which are a handful of cards that turn the game into more of a logical deduction game rather than a social deduction game. Most people that I've talked to will say it's not as fun as the special powers on some of the characters in Avalon and you won't miss them.

I haven't played Werewolf in years. It's because I have Avalon, and I like it better. Regular Werewolf requires a moderator who will not be playing the game. Some more recent versions have moderator-less rules, but I have not played them, so I don't know how they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
If you have lots of people over to game once in a blue moon, buy Werewolf. It plays A LOT more players.

If you have people over who have never played ANY "designer" game before, buy Werewolf. It is easier to explain, the theme is less of a turn-off for some people and it has less play time

Werewolf is 10 bucks. Don't debate, just buy the damn thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for another deduction style game I personally think Nosferatu is better than Resistance and Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to round out your collection with non-moderated games, I would ditch Werewolf for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, with the free app on amazon.

One night is quick and dirty, and the play-time would make you think it is throw-away light. However, with the right group, it is a huge, shifting logic puzzle. Allegiances are unknown (or at least uncertain) amongst the players as they try to determine who they now are, and who there enemy now is.

In my opinion, it also creates a ton more laughs when the improbable happens, and you can play again.. and again.. and again.. since it's only 5-10 minutes per game. Werewolf seems more like an experience, whereas one night feels more like a game.

And I agree with the others. You will not need to buy The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ContainerJones wrote:
I would ditch Werewolf for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, with the free app on amazon.

This.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf plays with 4 players, which Avalon doesn't. And in a lurch you can play it with just 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the advice.

I would like to ask the differences between Werewolf and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

As someone said above, the game is like 10$ so if I dont like it, I could always gift it to somebody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagg857 wrote:
I would like to ask the differences between Werewolf and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

A night and a day.

There is no player elimination in One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and a game takes about 5 minutes. In game mechanics and feel they are fairly different games. I suggest you watch some playthrough videos on ONUWW, I don't know if there are any for Werewolf, it being a (very) long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I printed out my own version of the resistance using templates on this site. Print and stick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Werewolf, but would like to say that I have found One Night Ultimate Werewolf to be a blast. It definitely has Resistance type qualities to the game but it is different enough to be worth buying.

That sinking feeling you get when you are no longer sure which side you are on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
If you have lots of people over to game once in a blue moon, buy Werewolf. It plays A LOT more players.

If you have people over who have never played ANY "designer" game before, buy Werewolf. It is easier to explain, the theme is less of a turn-off for some people and it has less play time

Werewolf is 10 bucks. Don't debate, just buy the damn thing.

I'd only buy Werewolf if you ever planned to have more than 10 people to play with. At 10 or less, I'd play The Resistance instead.

And I agree with everyone else that you don't technically need The Resistance if you have Avalon, it's the same game, with the exception of the plot cards, that we never play with anyway. I actually prefer Avalon without the roles, too, which may put me in the minority.

The only reason to get The Resistance is if you like the theme better. It's cheap enough that you can justify it, but it's not necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is $20, as is Werewolf. One Night does come highly recommended by my friends, however. They also suggested to use the phone app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I enjoy and own the resistance Avalon. I also like one night ultimate werewolf and also own ultimate werewolf inquisition which is kind of like a werewolf board game still with deduction and still very good but it just plays different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a nice Werewolf type board game for a smaller group of players, I am happy to plug the upcoming Black Forest. No moderator, rare player elimination, plays in about an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy the plot cards separately from The Resistance and add them to your copy of Avalon. Some people love to play the game with both the plot cards from The Resistance and the special powers from Avalon. You can get them from the BGG Promo store sometimes - that's what I did. I prefer just using the Avalon powers, but that is because I'm not used to the plot cards and find them confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I like The Resistance ok but One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a special game. We played it all the time with all range of ages and gaming background. Have played with 3-9 people. Definitely a "just one more round" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I like The Resistance ok but One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a special game. We played it all the time with all range of ages and gaming background. Have played with 3-9 people. Definitely a "just one more round" game.

See I'm of the opposite opinion as Ronaldo. I enjoy One Night Werewolf but feel it pales in comparison to Avalon. It's more of a deduction and has a factor of randomness that makes it really hard to figure who everyone is. Resistance is more about headgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagg857 wrote:

FYI, the two "extra" cards are for use with the Lady of the Lake, which should be included in the Avalon box (it's a naked lady--you can't miss her). The instructions are towards the back of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
Jagg857 wrote:

FYI, the two "extra" cards are for use with the Lady of the Lake, which should be included in the Avalon box (it's a naked lady--you can't miss her). The instructions are towards the back of the rulebook.

Will check it out. I thought they were for the plot cards on the normal Resistance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Resistance. I thought it was a fun one time experience. It's not really a game if you ask me. Then everyone recommended Avalon. I went to a friend's house and played it like 5 times. I have no clue why they were so crazy for this game. They're all the same. They can be accomplished with a deck of cards really.

These are great games for a kids party but I just don't get the hype at all.

I think if you have just one mafia, werewolf, avalon, resistance game, you're fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.