Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the standard DPI for most printed products with graphics is 300, but should cards for games with really nice art (like CCGs) be printed at 600?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Lommelen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
No. 300 to 350 dpi is enough for all offsetprinting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true, but you'll find that the art is almost always created at a significantly larger resolution to allow it to be used in marketing etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final printed materials don't need to be more than 300dpi. Consider, for instance that modern retina displays are around 260 dpi - you're eye can't distinguish much more than that at a normal viewing distance.

That said, the files you are working with should probably be larger canvas and/or higher dpi so that you can enlarge, crop, focus, etc. on sub-pieces of the artwork and up still above 300 dpi. If you made card art at 2.5" x 3.5" at 300 dpi and wanted to zoom in on a part of the artwork for final layout, the resulting image would be less than 300 dpi, which isn't good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually work all of my card designs in vector and can export the files at any resolution. 300 dpi cards come out to 750x1050, but I get the actual art made at a minimum of 1080x1512 for resizing. A lot of my artists create their stuff at much higher resolutions, which is great for wallpapers and stuff.

I just received a response from my manufacturer who said all print materials need to be 300dpi. Said 600 was overkill and made the files unnecessarily large. Looks like the industry agrees with you guys.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanenopolis wrote:
Said 600 was overkill and made the files unnecessarily large. Looks like the industry agrees with you guys.!

I was just about to say this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be sure to save original versions at the highest resolution you can stand to deal with. You never know when something might change, and you can't get resolution back if you've thrown it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
An offset printer goes from 200 to around 250/260 dpi.
300 dpi is a "safe size", that's why is standard, so don't worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.